Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which decade was more conservative?
1980s 23 67.65%
1990s 11 32.35%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 12:52 AM

776 posts, read 394,157 times

Advertisements

People think that the 1980s were the conservative decade because of Reagan while they think that the 1990s were liberal because of the Clintons. However, consider the following:

- In the 1980s, the memory of Vietnam made politicians reluctant to go to war. In the 1990s, neoconservatism was the consensus.

- In the 1980s, one of the two political parties opposed the death penalty. In the 1990s, everyone and their mother supported the death penalty.

- Incarceration rates rose in the 1990s more than in any other decade.

- Megan's Law was enacted in the 1990s.

- Zero tolerance schools became a thing in the 1990s.

- In the 1980s, high schools allowed students to bring guns and smoke cigarettes.

- Standardized testing became common in the the 1990s.

- PG and PG-13 movies often showed bare breasts in the 1980s.

- Welfare reform happened in the 1990s.

- Telecom and banking anti-trust laws were loosened in the 1990s.

- Amnesty for illegal immigrants was bipartisan consensus in the 1980s, but became controversial in the 1990s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2019, 02:04 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,620,541 times
All you have to do is see which party controlled Congress in both decades and you will have your answer.
Dems in the 80's and the Repubs in the 90's.

By the way I don't remember high schools allowing their students to bring guns or smoke on campus.
Where did you go to school that this happened?

Old 03-23-2019, 02:37 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
The 1990s. This was the decade of the Republican Revolution: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republican_Revolution and the ushering in of Republican legislation at the federal and state level. Reagan dominated the 1980s, but, legislatively, the country was heavily slanted to the Democrats/liberals.

Old 03-23-2019, 05:09 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Reagan wasn't a conservative.

Reagan grew government. He increased taxes, increased spending, increased the debt, and broke too many promises. Granted that is what causes Americans to re elect for some reason.

Old 03-23-2019, 05:28 AM

16,029 posts, read 6,838,234 times
Born and raised a New Yorker I have witnessed how conservative investments helped this great
city grow in leaps and bounds while a more democratic approach is now flushing it into the toilet.
All you have to do is look at what the Democratic Party has done to destroy New York.
Instead of making well informed and healthy investments that result in profits down the road they
gave away the bank in free bees and handouts while pounding the middle class taxpayer into
the ground in the form of taxes to pay to keep all the giveaways up and running. Surprise ...
surprise.....now what's left of the hard working conservative minded and businesses are leaving in
droves as New York begins the year 2019 with 935 million dollars in the hole. 2 and 1/2 years
of emergency funds to come up with a plan before it goes belly up reminiscent of the 70's.
Captain Cuomo and Blah Blah Blasio introducing congestion pricing, taxing internet purchases,
raising transit fees,and major cut backs across the board as a quick fix!
Sheesh ! The can has been kicked so far down the road that it finally has hit the wall.
Nice job fellas!

Vote Conservative!

Last edited by Mr.Retired; 03-23-2019 at 05:37 AM..

Old 03-23-2019, 09:43 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,556,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
All you have to do is see which party controlled Congress in both decades and you will have your answer.

By the way I don't remember high schools allowing their students to bring guns or smoke on campus.
My high school had what we called the burner lounge, lol. A space outside where people smoked. Right in the front of the school too. If I smoked, I went on the side of the school.

Old 03-23-2019, 12:01 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
Those who came of age in the 80’s (the tail end of the Boomers/beginning Gen X) are probably the most conservative cohort since the Silent Generation, honestly, they might even be more conservative. They staged their rebellion by being the anthesis of early Boomers, who they saw as unrealistic, spoiled brats whose privileges blinded them to the concept that rewards should be tied to hard work and also sheltered them from personal responsibility. Right now we are going through another national “flower power” movement, which means their conservative counterparts will be coming soon.

Old 03-23-2019, 12:05 PM

2,486 posts, read 824,551 times
The 80s by a mile. It was a conservative revival and the decade of upward mobility. From what I've heard from those older than me, it was my Happy Days decade. I turned 21 a few days after New Years 1980.

Old 03-23-2019, 12:11 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post

We could have guns in our vehicles when I was in high school and we had a legitimate smoking area. I went to high school in both rural NV and CA.

Old 03-23-2019, 12:17 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,670,317 times
I was there...but I honestly don't know.

If we define conservatism by the hypocrisy and things like that, I'd have to say Newt and Delay (1990's) were more deplorable. Yet the end of the 90's had the internet going...and the original internet was much less deplorable (conservative) than today, since those types of people didn't usually have the wiles to even get online until it became much easier to do so.

1980's were defined by Savings and Loan Crisis, Reaganomics, Iran-Contra and the like.

1990's were defined by the dot-com boom and the excitement and innovation around that...which were anything but conservative.

Looking at it that way, the 80's were more conservative all in all, but in the 90's Newt and Friends showed us what conservatism really was (scorched earth...hypocrisy, etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies