Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 03:17 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,145,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Of course all of this ignores the fact that you have rob everyone to fund it
True. Instead of calling it "free", I wish they would call it what it really is, which is "paid-for-by-someone-else education".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2019, 03:34 PM

25,573 posts, read 17,281,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
Many other countries-Asian ones in particular-are eating Americas lunch................
I think you ought to explain what you mean by that. Which countries and how are they 'eating our lunch'?
Growth rate? ....... The country with the highest growth rate in Libya. Japan is 146th, so surely you don't mean Japan.
Size of economy? ........ US is tops at $20T; China is a distant 2nd at $14T. Japan and Germany are about tied for a distant 3rd.
So I don't know how you figure anyone is 'eating our lunch', although I do hear that a lot. I used to hear how all the European countries are so superior, but that seems to have died in recent years.

Even in GDP per capita, the US does better than any Asian country.
Most educated country? ..... Japan does pretty well, but can't seen to get ahead. US is 6th, but from all the talk you would think we were 196th. Actually, South Korea and Japan are both better educated than America, but I challenge you to even TRY to impost their educational and discipline standards on an American child.

So eating our lunch? Nah. They don't have any trouble spending our money, but there is no one eating our lunch.

Old 03-23-2019, 04:10 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
First I say no, as a taxpayer I do not want to be on tap for everyone's college expenses it is a privilege you earn not something that is given to you. If everyone had the chance to get free college then I guess our burger flippers would really all be degree holders....

Old 03-23-2019, 04:12 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,114,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
True. Instead of calling it "free", I wish they would call it what it really is, which is "paid-for-by-someone-else education".
Welcome to society

Old 03-23-2019, 04:30 PM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
I'm 100% for universal health insurance--everyone will need medical care sooner or later--but only some people are qualified for college. College is not a necessity for life. Medical care IS.

Yes, the costs are too high. Something needs to be done. in the past when there was a shortage of candidates for jobs, the market would provide scholarships. There were programs for teachers to go to college when we needed more teachers. Can't a group of engineers pool together and provide some kind of scholarships? Or hospitals or medical groups provide scholarships?

College is only for people who are well above average in intelligence and motivation. How is that fair to the guy who wants to be a mechanic? Or a house painter? Or a plumber? Is someone going to hand them some free money for a few years? We need these kinds of workers too and most of them will never be rich. Not rich like doctors and engineers who would get college for free.

Old 03-23-2019, 04:40 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
AI is about to make college irrelevant.

Old 03-24-2019, 01:37 AM

3,617 posts, read 1,821,367 times
So you want, no demand, free [enter free thing you want here] and even though you realize nothing is free you demand to use your vote to have the force of government compel us to pay for all your free stuff? Exactly how much of what I've earned via my labor and via living a very frugal existence, saving and investing all I could all my life, do you demand so you can have all the free stuff you demand? Free college education... free healthcare... free housing... free food... free internet... free welfare... free living income... free transportation... free condoms... free syringes... free methadone... free electricity... free cell phones and service... free... Free... FREE!!!

How much of what I earned MUST I hand over to you and thieves like you who demand free stuff at the expense of others? BY WHAT RIGHT do you make such a demand of what I and others earned?

How about if you want something, get a damn job, earn your own money and buy what you want or can afford... and QUIT demanding to steal from others!

Old 03-24-2019, 04:28 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
I agree the term free should be replaced by affordable,kids going through a good education shouldnt have 100K debt when they finish schooling. Also raising tax money to ensure every one gets quality education is a win for America unless you are ok with the majority of Americans lacking the education to keep up with the rest of the world.

Old 03-24-2019, 04:47 AM

45,225 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I agree the term free should be replaced by affordable,kids going through a good education shouldnt have 100K debt when they finish schooling. Also raising tax money to ensure every one gets quality education is a win for America unless you are ok with the majority of Americans lacking the education to keep up with the rest of the world.
here we go with the if we dont rob everyone to pay for their neighbors education the sky will fall!!!
If you want to make education more affordable (and better) step one is getting govt backed student loans (and the influence they bring), out of it.
Not everyone should go to college, college is not a right and smart, capable people have existed long before there was ever a state run/funded crony education system.

Old 03-24-2019, 10:41 AM

1,950 posts, read 1,128,993 times
Quote:
Why would free education need to be paid for? Isn't it free?
It's commonly referred to as "free public education" in America. Not sure when you immigrated here, but use of "free education" in this manner is common around the accepted usage in the US government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies