Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you rate the economy in 2018-19?
Great Recession Underway 4 3.81%
Poor Economy 12 11.43%
Stable 9 8.57%
Good Economy 62 59.05%
Boom - Economic Miracle (dot-com boom, etc.) 18 17.14%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 10:43 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times

Advertisements

Take the poll - then explain, if possible, after reading my take.

Do not mention:
1. Unemployment - since it has been headed down for almost a decade and we all know what kind of jobs are our there.
2. GDP - because firstly, we know even 2.9 sux and we also project much lower than that - and, besides, GDP as a measure sux because if you pay more for medical care, etc. GDP goes way up.

But rather, address these and other items I may not have mentioned.....

1. Stock market gone nowhere in 15 months - projections are for poor performance for many years.
2. Fed stopped their normal course of action - obviously the Fed was on a path which was long planned - yet they stopped due to worry about a fragile economy.
3. Basic measurement of the common person - for example, that 46% of Floridians aren't making it, same goes with large percentages of the population elsewhere.
4. Deficit WAY up and projected to stay up - in an economic "miracle" or "boom" there is enough money naturally to pay the bills.
5. Car sales, home sales, stable or off....
"U.S. auto sales tumbled 2.8 percent in February"
6. Largest trade deficits in history.
7. Failure of even all of the above to lift most boats.

IMHO, the state of the nation is fairly poor. The state of the economy...I would rate that as "stable with risk" on a scale like this.

1. Great Recession - can't get much worse.
2. Poor
3. Stable
4. Slow Growth
5. Boom

So I'm picking #3....as an overall zeitgeist (the defining spirit or mood )of where we sit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 10:53 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,728,534 times
I'd say it's currently stable with signs that we might be headed into a poor economy.

Old 03-25-2019, 10:55 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,986,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Take the poll - then explain, if possible, after reading my take.

Do not mention:
1. Unemployment - since it has been headed down for almost a decade and we all know what kind of jobs are our there.
2. GDP - because firstly, we know even 2.9 sux and we also project much lower than that - and, besides, GDP as a measure sux because if you pay more for medical care, etc. GDP goes way up.

But rather, address these and other items I may not have mentioned.....

1. Stock market gone nowhere in 15 months - projections are for poor performance for many years.
2. Fed stopped their normal course of action - obviously the Fed was on a path which was long planned - yet they stopped due to worry about a fragile economy.
3. Basic measurement of the common person - for example, that 46% of Floridians aren't making it, same goes with large percentages of the population elsewhere.
4. Deficit WAY up and projected to stay up - in an economic "miracle" or "boom" there is enough money naturally to pay the bills.
5. Car sales, home sales, stable or off....
"U.S. auto sales tumbled 2.8 percent in February"
6. Largest trade deficits in history.
7. Failure of even all of the above to lift most boats.

IMHO, the state of the nation is fairly poor. The state of the economy...I would rate that as "stable with risk" on a scale like this.

1. Great Recession - can't get much worse.
2. Poor
3. Stable
4. Slow Growth
5. Boom

So I'm picking #3....as an overall zeitgeist (the defining spirit or mood )of where we sit.
I'm in real estate and can only speak for my own experiences. My "economy" is booming, with less taxes paid and more income. Homes where I am are at their highest prices ever with more being sold than even pre-bubble popping 2007 numbers. So, I most certainly feel that the economy is better. The feds just announced no more rate hikes for the year, interest rates are at a year's avg low, and I made more in 2018 than the year before and paid less in taxes. 2019 is tracking to be an outstanding year, I broke all kinds of records in Jan/Feb to start the year off right.

It's a booming economy as far as I'm concerned.

Old 03-25-2019, 11:00 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
I will never understand why someone requests opinions for a poll, and starts off by saying what criteria is not allowed... and then attempts to steer opinion by stating certain aspects are terrible.

Old 03-25-2019, 11:00 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,396,357 times
Tell me about your favorite foods. But you're not allowed to mention anything that has carbohydrates or protein.

Old 03-25-2019, 11:09 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,728,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
I'm in real estate and can only speak for my own experiences. My "economy" is booming, with less taxes paid and more income. Homes where I am are at their highest prices ever with more being sold than even pre-bubble popping 2007 numbers. So, I most certainly feel that the economy is better. The feds just announced no more rate hikes for the year, interest rates are at a year's avg low, and I made more in 2018 than the year before and paid less in taxes. 2019 is tracking to be an outstanding year, I broke all kinds of records in Jan/Feb to start the year off right.

It's a booming economy as far as I'm concerned.
Doesn't this mean that the feds think it would be too risky to raise the rates? In general, a booming economy will result in rate hikes, if I understand correctly. So... that tells me that things are not booming, just as they weren't booming in 2007 even though real estate agents were certainly thrilled.

Homes in my area were skyrocketing and now they seem to be still rising but at a much slower pace. I'm concerned that we're about the pop the bubble, but I hope I'm wrong. We don't want to sell for another 5-8 years, but I'd be pleased as punch if the values kept going up, even if it's at a slower pace. I don't think it's going to work out that way, but my fingers are crossed.

Old 03-25-2019, 11:18 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times
Somewhere between poor and stable right now. Certainly better than 2010 but things were still better pre-2008. This is a lot like the economy during the late Great Depression. Anemic, but the "new normal" and improved enough where things don't seem quite as bad.

Old 03-25-2019, 11:18 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Economy seems to be doing as well as can be expected after shipping so many, many jobs to other countries and transferring tons of wealth to Arab countries by buying their oil. For many years America has distributed wealth simply through her economic activity. Some of it was good and necessary and some of it was foolish.
Looks like we're on the right track now, but it's a complicated world out there with lots of moving parts. The new Nafta tries to concentrate wealth among Mexico, US and Mexico, and if that works it will be wonderful.
It will not happen this week.

Old 03-25-2019, 11:37 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
The growth path, a very short zig-zag or vvvvvvvv-shaped, has been more or less stable since 2009, the result of policies in the previous 20-25 years or so: replace growth in real wages for real work on US soil with global wage arbitrage (outsourcing of manufacturing, illegal immigration) and easy domestic credit.

It really doesn't matter who the president is from time to time.

Current policies are designed to slow down that whittling away process, they do not have enough power, nor is there enough commitment to reverse them.

Even if the such policies were powerful enough with steadfast commitment, it would take at least 10 years to restore a growth path to a higher level.

More likely over the next 10 years, policy reversals, retreads and new (actually old masqueraded as "progressive" to gullible new generations) cockamamie policies will deepen the vvvvvvv-shaped hole we have been steadily drilling ourselves into.

Good Luck!

Old 03-25-2019, 11:41 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,523,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I will never understand why someone requests opinions for a poll, and starts off by saying what criteria is not allowed... and then attempts to steer opinion by stating certain aspects are terrible.

The just follow the liberal handbook of deflection
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies