Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2019, 06:25 PM

2,486 posts, read 825,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Nothing happened to me either. I don't talk politics with those close to me who don't think like I do.

Of late, I, too, have cut way back on cable news. Most news is bad so most news does promote unhealthy emotions. Negative emotions are not healthy - and these days I try to conserve my energy for positive things. Taken to watching old TV shows and movies - back in the good ol' days
I finally watched Once Upon a Time from start to finish and completely enjoyed it.

Now, my wife and I have been watching about 4-5 episodes of Supernatural each evening starting from season one (now up to 12). Always a favorite of ours, even though it's bloody as hell (pun intended).

When I want news I watch Bloomberg sometimes and BBC World News. I also try to catch Cavuto when I have time. I've liked him for more than 30 years and remember way back when he was on CNBC, which I still watch every now and then too.

Other than that, MSM is for the birds and they proved that over the last few years and even moreso this last week. The last thing anyone wants is some moron without a clue pointing his/her finger at us day in and day out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I know. And I specifically said, more than once, and underlined it, "what happened to YOU?" You're one of the only people who answered what was asked about the personal/individual level of anger.
I specifically said, "nothing happened to me". The reason there are a dozen pages with much of the same is that it really shouldn't have affected anyone so desperately that it drove them to hatred. All we can do is figure out why it seems to affect others so negatively. There are plenty of openly known candidates in here who espouse hate every day, in every post.

Last edited by Originalist; 03-27-2019 at 06:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2019, 06:27 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,374,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I would say it started when Obama was president... The GOP wanted to make deals with Obama who then told the GOP, my way or the highway (the ego of that ahole)... So, nothing happened because Obama wouldn't negotiate with the Republicans and started doing executive orders and p issed everyone off... So now Trump is preisdent and Trump says let's negotiate, border wall for DACA and the Democrats told him never... So now the border wall is happening and DACA will eventually be repealed... And the Democrats are still not up for negotiating... Same then, same now... They can go to Hell...
Trump started all this hatred and vengeful thinking with his very nasty, constant rhetoric. I have been living long enough to know it didn't used to be like this. Part of it was that the racists hated Obama because he was black and President. Then came Trump, and the nasties are so happy that their guy lashes out at anyone who disagrees with him. They love his constant diatribe against the media, Democrats, and anyone who doesn't share his opinions. What they don't realize is that he is in the Presidency helping out all his rich buddies. He doesn't care squat about his base. He only wants the approval rating and to (possibly) be re-elected. He loves the rallies because it feeds his narcissism. Saints preserve us from this awful person.

He is the worst President in the history of our country--not only not smart, but an evil person.

Old 03-27-2019, 06:29 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
The internet gives you a platform to say what you actually think. It gives you access to information about things you've long suspected(and been lied to about). And it allows you to see that many other people believe the same things.
Hmmm......

Believe
think
suspected
lied to

Unless you are talking DNA, chemical analysis or the like, all are in the realms of both opinion and you have absolutely no way of knowing whether or not they are accurate....which theory or conspiracy? Was Obama born here? Is he an Islamist? Is the Deficit the single most important issue of our time?

I mean - there are thousands of such "issues"........

The sad part here is really the "access to information" part. I've been online since 1986 and an internet developer, publisher and user since 1994 and there is nothing that I have learned which is somehow new...other than the gory details of certain things (exact dates, etc.).

I mean - haven't you read the World Book? 100's of other history books? Didn't you watch movies, series, documentaries? Have you attended school?

Much, probably MOST, of the "information" you speak of on the internet is simply disinformation. I have a friend with at least a 160 IQ and multiple degrees in just about every subject you can imagine. He regularly sends me these web site with "proof" of something or another and when I take a look at them I find the John Birch Society or Some Dude in Momma's Basement is behind the site.

Red, you really need to start getting your education the old-fashioned way. Somehow...some way - we went to the moon, developed nukes and ICBM, jet travel, telecommunications, tunnels, medical miracles, the periodic table and just about EVERY major advance in history....without the so-called "information" you claim that you found on the internet. Think about it.

Last edited by craigiri; 03-27-2019 at 06:47 PM..

Old 03-27-2019, 06:36 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Lightbulb When Did This Level Of Hatred And Division Start?

Quote:
Serious question.

I've been around a long time. I remember the Nixon years and onward. I was too young to remember Johnson, and Kennedy was killed when I was a baby. I've thought about all the different presidents and what was happening at the time and I don't recall there being *this* level of pure hatred and division between and among people in the U.S. much before 2016.

I'm not saying it didn't exist, just I don't recall this amount and intensity. It's like an obsession of hatred. What the heck happened?

I read some of these vitriolic posts and wonder what happened to the person to make them like this. When did it start? (And don't start with "liberals did this and liberals did that..." That's a total cop out.)

Seriously, WHAT HAPPENED to you? (you = anyone who is spending time angry at or even feeling emotions as strong as hatred for other people and spewing those feelings).

Forget the media and talking heads and all of that. I'm talking about YOU. What happened *to you*?

It kinda began with the fall of the USSR.

Americans were united in their fear and animosity towards the communist juggernaut that posed an existential threat.

Once it dissolved in the early 90s, the angriest and most fearful among us needed a new enemy.

Right wing hate radio stepped in to fill the void.

Their message:

"America sucks and it's all your neighbors' fault! They're libs! They're out to get you!"

Shortly after that, along comes Newt Gingrich, with all his hate spewing rhetoric, again aimed at making fellow Americans "the enemy."

Since then, it's been lather, rinse, repeat.

And here we are.

Old 03-27-2019, 06:39 PM

2,486 posts, read 825,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
It kinda began with the fall of the USSR.

Americans were united in their fear and animosity towards the communist juggernaut that posed an existential threat.

Once it dissolved in the early 90s, the angriest and most fearful among us needed a new enemy.

Right wing hate radio stepped in to fill the void.

Their message:

"America sucks and it's all your neighbors' fault! They're libs! They're out to get you!"

Shortly after that, along comes Newt Gingrich, with all his hate spewing rhetoric, again aimed at making fellow Americans "the enemy."

Since then, it's been lather, rinse, repeat.

And here we are.

It kinda started when people started saying "it's all the other sides fault!" and others believed it.

Old 03-27-2019, 06:40 PM

4,445 posts, read 1,450,383 times
I think it started when leftists thought people were going to roll over for the fundamental transformation of America, part of which required people to castigate themselves for crimes they didn't commit. Also, they expected people to give up large portions of what they worked for in penance for those crimes.

It also started when leftists started telling people they were deplorable and began declaring they "know" what the deplorables believe. They are absolutely certain of how people think and feel. I have no use for leftists or the diversity of thought they expected me to swallow without a fight. I'm sure they will continue to hate me for it and I don't give a s--t.

Last edited by ncguy50; 03-27-2019 at 07:06 PM..

Old 03-27-2019, 06:48 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
It kinda started when people started saying "it's all the other sides fault!" and others believed it.
Exactly what my post pointed out.

Thanks for the affirmation.

Old 03-27-2019, 06:50 PM

18,102 posts, read 15,676,604 times
A lot of people are unable to think for themselves and they repeat what they hear on news or from the Interwebs. They believe what they're told (on all sides, not just one side) and then spread it far and wide.

People are ripe for the picking and manipulating. Every person who spreads hatred and repeats crap they've read from some political blog or web site is someone who's been "radicalized" and "weaponized" by someone manipulating them to be a puppet.

Congratulations, if you've succumbed to the vitriol spewed by *any* political talking head or leader, you have been well-manipulated.

Old 03-27-2019, 06:58 PM

4,288 posts, read 2,060,202 times
Quote:
Serious question.

I've been around a long time. I remember the Nixon years and onward. I was too young to remember Johnson, and Kennedy was killed when I was a baby. I've thought about all the different presidents and what was happening at the time and I don't recall there being *this* level of pure hatred and division between and among people in the U.S. much before 2016.

I'm not saying it didn't exist, just I don't recall this amount and intensity. It's like an obsession of hatred. What the heck happened?

I read some of these vitriolic posts and wonder what happened to the person to make them like this. When did it start? (And don't start with "liberals did this and liberals did that..." That's a total cop out.)

Seriously, WHAT HAPPENED to you? (you = anyone who is spending time angry at or even feeling emotions as strong as hatred for other people and spewing those feelings).

Forget the media and talking heads and all of that. I'm talking about YOU. What happened *to you*?
In America I think it happened with President Washington, Hamilton and Jefferson. Or the revolutionaries and the tories before America became a country.

Old 03-27-2019, 07:31 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Unless you are talking DNA, chemical analysis or the like, all are in the realms of both opinion and you have absolutely no way of knowing whether or not they are accurate.
It is much harder to know what is true, than what is false. Have we been lied to, yes or no?

Quote:
The sad part here is really the "access to information" part. I've been online since 1986 and an internet developer, publisher and user since 1994 and there is nothing that I have learned which is somehow new...other than the gory details of certain things (exact dates, etc.).
So you don't think the internet gives people information they would never otherwise hear?

Quote:
I mean - haven't you read the World Book? 100's of other history books? Didn't you watch movies, series, documentaries? Have you attended school?
I only ever read "government-approved" books. But even if much of this existed in the past, the internet has most-certainly made it more-accessible for most people, and the vast-majority of the people would have never known it existed.

The only reason I know most of the history I do, is because someone else mentioned it on something like this forum, and then I "looked it up". Before the internet, I knew little more than what the government and the media told me.

Quote:
Much, probably MOST, of the "information" you speak of on the internet is simply disinformation. I have a friend with at least a 160 IQ and multiple degrees in just about every subject you can imagine. He regularly sends me these web site with "proof" of something or another and when I take a look at them I find the John Birch Society or Some Dude in Momma's Basement is behind the site.
That is a separate problem entirely, which has absolutely nothing to do with what I said.

Quote:
Red, you really need to start getting your education the old-fashioned way. Somehow...some way - we went to the moon, developed nukes and ICBM, jet travel, telecommunications, tunnels, medical miracles, the periodic table and just about EVERY major advance in history....with the so-called "information" you claim that you found on the internet. Think about it.
I am not a conspiracy theorist. And there is a huge difference between science, history, and politics.

Have governments lied to their people? Why do they lie to the people? And how do the people find out they are lying?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies