Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 10:15 AM

3,730 posts, read 1,766,996 times

Advertisements

Growing up in construction my whole life and starting to work on my own as a kid hustling my ass off I couldn't believe all of these illegals coming into the profession.

As I struggled to carry workers compensation, business liability or do the proper job I was always pissed off. Hoping that somebody would come in and do the right thing for the working citizens around the country like myself.

Each step of the way my insurance got higher and following the law made me poor. I did not grow up or get into the profession to not be good at what I do or to do it illegally to make a living but you found yourself and direct competition with that element. Those who gamed the system benefited and there's no reward came from doing the right thing.

We heard it from Bill Clinton at the State of the Union, we heard it from each and every one of them.. yesterday I listen to fox interview with this guy Howard Schultz. He talks how the public is sick of Democrats saying one thing and Republicans saying another the people want results. That's political b******* to give the people what they want to hear.

People are blaming Trump but what the f*** do you think Trump is trying to do. He is fighting two parties that refuse to cooperate. He could do an executive order but it won't solve the problem if the next president is a Democrat and reverse is it he wants the two parties to make permanent legislation. I also believe there's an outside force funding these border caravans. Anything short of flooding the country with illegals is going to be deemed racist and hatred.

I don't know what the answer is but I'll go back to my construction world. The latest problem in my heavenly blue Democratic state is we are weaning away from permits to do construction.

I am one whom believes that some regulation is good and I also believe the Democrats are trying to take the bullseye off the back of the illegals. In the process change the talking points by reducing the talking points about those doing the work. proof of insurance is the only requirement for a home improvement license in my state that enables you to get a permit without it........

You can do kitchens and baths now with no permit practically. The triggers will kick in but nobody will do it it. Just opens the door for more illegal activity.

They are hurting the working guy in the public and refuse to address the problem because they want to play politics.

Last edited by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly; 04-05-2019 at 10:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 01:07 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Wah 🤣

I used to work in construction, in Phoenix to boot, so I worked alongside illegals as well. You could do what I did. Find a different career. I drive truck now, easier job than construction and pays better

Old 04-05-2019, 01:14 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Trump isn't doing squat. You need to amend your title and add "those who defends Trump's empty rhetoric".

Old 04-05-2019, 01:22 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,753,297 times
illegal immigration has really done a number on the trade and labor professions. it has for years. remember that plumber and painter mario and luigi? immigrants have always done that kind of work because you didn't need a solid grasp of the language to do the job. I think the best thing to do is fine the living crap out of anyone who hires illegal labor.

Old 04-05-2019, 01:22 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
I think illegal immigration hurting working people is a legitimate issue that should have been dealt with long ago, but neither party would do anything about it because interests favoring illegal immigration had more political traction. ..either financially on the right or ideologically on the left.

I'm not sure with Trump anything other than the rhetoric has changed and the illegals themselves made targets and demonized for his own political purposes.

Make no mistake, if something is done to stop illegal immigration, some otherwise law abiding people will be hurt. That effect should me minimized as much as possible though.

And I voted for Sanders in the last primary. You need to control illegal labor and controlling your borders is big part of that.

Old 04-05-2019, 01:23 PM

24,502 posts, read 17,239,538 times
I understand where you are coming from OP.

I used to live and work on an island that had a large population of immigrants from Brazil. Most of them were legal and some were not. I have seen first hand how the affects of immigration can be detrimental to a community. The Brazilian people were hard workers willing to take on any job whether they knew it or had to figure it out on the fly. Many of them were not beholding to the permits, fees, licensing and everything else that is a requirement for a proper legal company. As a result the cost of labor went down across the island but you truly do get what you pay for when it comes to carpentry.

I knew one guy that was forced to move from the island as his work dried up and he eventually killed himself leaving a wife and young boy.

I knew another guy that was Brazilian. He came to America legally, started his own business, became a US citizen and bought a house and then the younger Brazilian guys moved in and under cut his jobs. He was forced to give up his dream and moved back to Brazil.

I knew other Brazilian guys that worked like dogs but instead of putting money back into the community they would stuff like 10 guys in a house meant for 4 and send their money back to Brazil. Their plans were to work and then move back home and live easy.

I feel badly for the guys that are left behind due to being undercut on their jobs.

What is happening at the border is not a positive for America and it will not end well.

Old 04-05-2019, 01:36 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,626,412 times
It's very easy to blame "illegals" but why don't you ask who is hiring them?
That is the main source of your gripe and you should redirect your anger & frustration towards those who control the money in that industry.

Old 04-05-2019, 01:49 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,505,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Wah 🤣

I used to work in construction, in Phoenix to boot, so I worked alongside illegals as well. You could do what I did. Find a different career. I drive truck now, easier job than construction and pays better
What type of answer is that? You're saying that if you don't like that illegals have ruined your career, find a new career. Why should the law-abiding American have to change careers in response to illegals rather than us putting our foot down and stopping the illegals from ruining his career in the first place?

Old 04-05-2019, 01:53 PM

3,319 posts, read 2,340,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Wah 🤣

What happens when the illegals are allowed to get their CDL and start driving trucks for $10/hr? Whatcha' going to do then?

Old 04-05-2019, 02:00 PM

5,984 posts, read 2,238,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
What type of answer is that? You're saying that if you don't like that illegals have ruined your career, find a new career. Why should the law-abiding American have to change careers in response to illegals rather than us putting our foot down and stopping the illegals from ruining his career in the first place?
Because that is what Republicans in office wanted you to do therefore apparently we supported it in some backward way. Yes I put more blame on Republicans for border issues than Democrats because Republicans have run on the issue for longer than I've been alive. Republicans have been in complete control of government several times over 30 years and never addressed it.

It is fair that I do that? No

But its not fair that I blame Democrats more for NAFTA and the results from that trade agreement because Clinton signed it. Republicans supported it and big business was lining the elephant's pockets on this one, but Clinton pushed it through and didn't veto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies