Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 02:00 PM

27,668 posts, read 16,156,388 times

Advertisements

Drywallers were pissed when large homebuilders replaced them with much cheaper foreign (illegals) replacements. I imagine many tradesmen were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 02:13 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,627,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
What type of answer is that? You're saying that if you don't like that illegals have ruined your career, find a new career. Why should the law-abiding American have to change careers in response to illegals rather than us putting our foot down and stopping the illegals from ruining his career in the first place?
It's a battle we aren't going to win. So you can either stand your ground, trying to tread water in a rising creek; or take responsibility for yourself and find something else. I smartly realized that I wasn't going to make it in construction unless I wanted to keep working for low wages. So again, went a different way and am the better for it.

The business owners have politicians on their side and millions of dollars. We won't win the illegal labor battle. I woke up long ago, why don't you?

Old 04-05-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
What happens when the illegals are allowed to get their CDL and start driving trucks for $10/hr? Whatcha' going to do then?
That's not going to happen. You have to be a US Citizen or be naturalized just to get your CDL permit. And DOT does check. I went in to take the permit test without my birth certificate and they turned me away on the spot, so I had to get a certified copy mailed from the State of New York (where I was born) and go back a week later

Old 04-05-2019, 02:34 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,124,985 times
I love how MAGAs are opposed to capitalism.

It exposes them for the leftists they truly are.

Old 04-05-2019, 02:45 PM

13,512 posts, read 17,046,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
That's not going to happen. You have to be a US Citizen or be naturalized just to get your CDL permit. And DOT does check. I went in to take the permit test without my birth certificate and they turned me away on the spot, so I had to get a certified copy mailed from the State of New York (where I was born) and go back a week later
Those jobs will be gone in 10-15 years as well with self driving trucks.

Eventually things like construction and mechanics will be the only working class trades not automated out of existence.

Old 04-05-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Those jobs will be gone in 10-15 years as well with self driving trucks.

Eventually things like construction and mechanics will be the only working class trades not automated out of existence.
It's going to be more like 30+ years honestly, and I'll be retired by then

Old 04-05-2019, 02:55 PM

19,811 posts, read 22,703,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
What happens when the illegals are allowed to get their CDL and start driving trucks for $10/hr? Whatcha' going to do then?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
It's going to be more like 30+ years honestly, and I'll be retired by then
That won't be happening too long. Automation is going to make the trucking a shipping industry fairly autonomous and sooner than one thinks. Think 10 year time line. We're almost there right now.

Old 04-05-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
That won't be happening too long. Automation is going to make the trucking a shipping industry fairly autonomous and sooner than one thinks.
It's not realistically going to be automated for over 30 years. Even one of the cheif guys working on it at Daimler Benz says it's going to be decades before drivers are jobless

Old 04-05-2019, 04:46 PM

63,003 posts, read 29,187,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
It's very easy to blame "illegals" but why don't you ask who is hiring them?
That is the main source of your gripe and you should redirect your anger & frustration towards those who control the money in that industry.
Both the employers and their illegal workers are equally to blame. There is no innocent party here. No one drags them over the border to work here. They know full well they have violated our immigration laws.

Who is it that we are supposed to ask if they hire illegals? Just random employers? Do you think they'd actually give an honest answer if they do hire illegals? It's the government's job to investigate the employers and it was done just recently and 280 illegals were found working illegally at a company with fake or stolen SS numbers and ID's. We need to implement a system that makes it very difficult to hire them and secure our border so they can't get in here to work.

Old 04-05-2019, 04:59 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,385,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Growing up in construction my whole life and starting to work on my own as a kid hustling my ass off I couldn't believe all of these illegals coming into the profession.

As I struggled to carry workers compensation, business liability or do the proper job I was always pissed off. Hoping that somebody would come in and do the right thing for the working citizens around the country like myself.

Each step of the way my insurance got higher and following the law made me poor. I did not grow up or get into the profession to not be good at what I do or to do it illegally to make a living but you found yourself and direct competition with that element. Those who gamed the system benefited and there's no reward came from doing the right thing.

We heard it from Bill Clinton at the State of the Union, we heard it from each and every one of them.. yesterday I listen to fox interview with this guy Howard Schultz. He talks how the public is sick of Democrats saying one thing and Republicans saying another the people want results. That's political b******* to give the people what they want to hear.

People are blaming Trump but what the f*** do you think Trump is trying to do. He is fighting two parties that refuse to cooperate. He could do an executive order but it won't solve the problem if the next president is a Democrat and reverse is it he wants the two parties to make permanent legislation. I also believe there's an outside force funding these border caravans. Anything short of flooding the country with illegals is going to be deemed racist and hatred.

I don't know what the answer is but I'll go back to my construction world. The latest problem in my heavenly blue Democratic state is we are weaning away from permits to do construction.

I am one whom believes that some regulation is good and I also believe the Democrats are trying to take the bullseye off the back of the illegals. In the process change the talking points by reducing the talking points about those doing the work. proof of insurance is the only requirement for a home improvement license in my state that enables you to get a permit without it........

You can do kitchens and baths now with no permit practically. The triggers will kick in but nobody will do it it. Just opens the door for more illegal activity.

They are hurting the working guy in the public and refuse to address the problem because they want to play politics.
I've got news for you: You're the RINO. They're real (worthless) Republicans. We need a new party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies