Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 04:19 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,374,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
You are coming at this from a totally partisan point of view. To say that hate is mostly on one side or the other is absurd. We have heard nothing but hate from the left toward Trump and his supporters. Far less than came from the right toward Obama and his supporters. There were no riots, cars burning, and violent attacks during his inauguration. THAT is simply an undeniable fact.

There have been far fewer acts of violence from the right than the left as well. Other than that single dark day in Charlotte (which is used to defend dozens of violent acts by the left) the right is not the ones attacking people and rioting in the way groups like ANTIFA and BLM folks have been.

This is nothing new. The TEA Party were peaceful protestors yet labeled haters and violent while absolutely no proof of such existed. The left were caught paying aggitators to cause mayhem and start fights so the left could claim it was the right. Total sleeze Alinsky tactics, much the same as Marxists and Communists have used for a century.

You were told they are violent therefore they must be violent.

See carrot, pull cart.

When one side stops their rhetoric and violence I will listen to them first, because they will be living by example. Until then, everyone is at fault and calling out one side or the other while defending "your side" is hypocrisy.
I disagree totally. The Right, especially MAGA (and most Trump supporters) are full of hate and vitriol. Just read thru this thread. Most of the totally outrageous comments are from Right Wing individuals. (Especially the one who called all Liberals “commies” and said Liberals “hate America.” Outrageous.). Hardly a middle of the road attitude. Read this thread again...

Also, provide a link from a reliable source that the left paid to have protesters cause violence so the TEA PARTY would be blamed. Never heard of this before. Of course, you are going back a long way to dig up something like this.

You don’t sound like a middle-of-the road type. Calling out the other side does not to have to be full of hate and nasty name-calling. There are evil happenings in our country right now, especially, that need to be called out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 02:01 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,094,833 times
Racism will finally end when we create a race of robotic minions that become our future oppressors.

Old 04-05-2019, 04:01 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
The great awakening might happen after the upcoming civil war has been fought.

Old 04-05-2019, 04:33 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,383,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Politics has replaced religion in many people's lives. Religion was useful in that it allowed people to be tribal in a largely theoretical domain. Sure, there were always elements of theocracy, but in the US at least these weakened as a place became more diverse.

Politics, on the other hand, is very powerful in the here and now. And now it's infused with religious fervor. Yuck!

We need religion to make a comeback so that people put their negative energies there. Jehovah, Allah, Buddha, Gaia, Sinatra... I don't care who you worship.

I just want the zealots out of public affairs.
Any extreme system of beliefs, whether religious or political, serve the same purpose to control other people and should be avoided.

Unfortunately, liberals today are essentially religious extremists in that their thinking is based on faith rather than facts and rationality. Any line of thinking which dissuades rational thought is very dangerous indeed.

Old 04-05-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Any extreme system of beliefs, whether religious or political, serve the same purpose to control other people and should be avoided.

Unfortunately, liberals today are essentially religious extremists in that their thinking is based on faith rather than facts and rationality. Any line of thinking which dissuades rational thought is very dangerous indeed.
This is crazy. It's the Right who are religious extremists. Evangelicals!!!

Old 04-05-2019, 10:54 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
There is no way the rhetoric and divisiveness will stop under a president that spends every day coming up with new insults. Maybe in 2 years.
On the other hand, we might not know just how wide-spread the problem in America really is if Trump hadn't come along and put it out there for all his following to applaud and fully expose for all of us to witness like never before. Not sure how reflective this forum can be considered when it comes to this sort of thing, but as I consider all the pro-Trump support and logic as expressed by them in this forum, no matter the insults, the parade of tweets, the embarrassments, Trump is simply a catalyst that helps expose how all too many Americans think and feel about the likes, about all "the rhetoric and divisiveness" that actually seems to inspire them to do the same all the more. I'm not sure I realized the extent of this problem in America before Trump came along...

Old 04-05-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
On the other hand, we might not know just how wide-spread the problem in America really is if Trump hadn't come along and put it out there for all his following to applaud and fully expose for all of us to witness like never before. Not sure how reflective this forum can be considered when it comes to this sort of thing, but as I consider all the pro-Trump support and logic as expressed by them in this forum, no matter the insults, the parade of tweets, the embarrassments, Trump is simply a catalyst that helps expose how all too many Americans think and feel about the likes, about all "the rhetoric and divisiveness" that actually seems to inspire them to do the same all the more. I'm not sure I realized the extent of this problem in America before Trump came along...
Agree with you. Also, I think Trump tries to bring that hostility out in his base. He loves to fight. He loves to call names. He likes the action at his rallies.

Personally, I think Trump is responsible for much of the hate we see now. The interesting part will be to see what happens in 2020 if he is no longer President. If we have a moderate President, will some of the vindictiveness calm down or will it continue against a new President and against anyone of the opposite party?Certainly there was a lot of hate out there toward Obama.

I would love for things to go back to the way it was in George H. W. Bush’s era—lots of politics but not all the extreme hate. Can the storm be put back in the bottle? Hmmm....

Old 04-06-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Agree with you. Also, I think Trump tries to bring that hostility out in his base. He loves to fight. He loves to call names. He likes the action at his rallies.

Personally, I think Trump is responsible for much of the hate we see now. The interesting part will be to see what happens in 2020 if he is no longer President. If we have a moderate President, will some of the vindictiveness calm down or will it continue against a new President and against anyone of the opposite party?Certainly there was a lot of hate out there toward Obama.

I would love for things to go back to the way it was in George H. W. Bush’s era—lots of politics but not all the extreme hate. Can the storm be put back in the bottle? Hmmm....
I'm not sure Trump is trying to do anything other than what he feels like doing...

IOWs, Trump is just being Trump, and from the beginning there were those who love everything about Trump and those who were/are mortified someone like Trump can become POTUS. There is much in the way of what makes up the difference between these two kinds of people that can't really be reconciled in any reasonable way, but I think a leader that can earn broader respect in terms of simply being an honorable human being tends to help.

In many ways I thought that was Obama, but the whiplash by those who were also pretty "divisive" about Obama, became vindictive to the point of ushering in Trump to fill the vacuum left by Obama. To "add insult to injury," Trump also has the economic turnaround started during Obama's time in office. Strong winds to Trump's back very different than the winds Obama faced when he took office. Something like following a Greek tragedy...

Old 04-06-2019, 11:12 AM

1,889 posts, read 1,324,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post

I think it's possible to elaborate on this point further.

Political views operate much the same as ethical views (both are axiological systems), so the divisive, religion-like quality that many find toxic in today's politics was always there, inherent in the very basic structure of political commitments, truths and duties.

The only thing that's changed in recent years is that opposing political views have become more evenly represented, making those latent divisions more visible and impassioned. The OP will only get what he wants by his preferred political side being dominant again.

The irony is, sociological evidence shows left-leaning secular cultures to have the most religion-like devotion to politics.

Old 04-06-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower72 View Post
I think it's possible to elaborate on this point further.

Political views operate much the same as ethical views (both are axiological systems), so the divisive, religion-like quality that many find toxic in today's politics was always there, inherent in the very basic structure of political commitments, truths and duties.

The only thing that's changed in recent years is that opposing political views have become more evenly represented, making those latent divisions more visible and impassioned. The OP will only get what he wants by his preferred political side being dominant again.

The irony is, sociological evidence shows left-leaning secular cultures to have the most religion-like devotion to politics.
I always struggle with the confusion that seems so prevalent along these lines...

There is much anyone can compare and contrast between religion and politics. Some conflate in similar fashion science too, but I think the differences are just as important to note as well. Despite some similarities with respect to what people get behind and why, there are significant differences that should be noted between religion, politics and science too.

How we come to think and believe what we do with respect to all three tends to differ as well, in similarly important ways. All to say, I think it important to recognize and understand these important distinctions and/or avoid throwing them all in the same basket as if essentially the same. They are not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies