Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 10:43 AM

2 posts, read 1,499 times

Advertisements

Before I get started, a few disclaimers...

- I am not a Republican nor do I listen to or read right wing media. I am an independent who votes liberal more often than not and can't STAND the current POTUS.

- I do believe we really need clean energy and a clean environment.

- I am not a scientist nor do I play one on the internet. Like most people, I rely on what I read about the issues.

With that said, I've been following this debate for awhile and I really despise the term "denier" as in science denier for anyone who dares raise skepticism about AGW. It really is a lazy, nasty way to derail a debate by use of an ad-hominem attack versus a real exchange of ideas.

I've seen problems with temperature records called out. I've seen misleading reports in the media and even from scientists and scientific organizations. I've seen reports that say wildfires and tornados are actually in DECLINE. Yet if anyone raises this in a discussion, they are immediately labeled a "denier" as if they were committing some sort of blasphemy! Science should WELCOME skepticism!

This does not mean that I discount or dismiss all of climate science, it means that I can accept these many skeptical lines of information that you almost NEVER hear from the mainstream media.

Whenever I hear the term "denier" I realize this is no longer a debate but childish name calling and a lack of intellectual curiousity as well as a defensiveness that belies true confidence in one's position.

Old 04-03-2019, 10:49 AM

34,244 posts, read 18,607,948 times
It doesn't matter. The Debate is over. The Science is settled. It has been revealed as a HOAX and SCAM. Nobody cares anymore, as none of the predictions came true, nor will they unless nature (the Sun) decides they will.

The Man Made Climate Change proponents will just have to reveal themselves for what they are. Communists, and that is occurring nationally. The curtain has been pulled back.

Last edited by Pilot1; 04-03-2019 at 11:48 AM..

Old 04-03-2019, 10:51 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,406,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
It doesn't matter. The Debate is over. The Science is settled. It has been revealed as a HOAX and SCAM. Nobody cares anymore, as none of the predictions came true, nor will they unless nature (the Sun) decides they will.

The Man Mad Climate Change proponents will just have to reveal themselves for what they are. Communists, and that is occurring nationally. The curtain has been pulled back.

Wrong, the science is settled that climate change is real except in the mind of deniers who are sadly victims of minds polluted with junk science and greed. They refuse to acknowledge the obvious.

Old 04-03-2019, 10:53 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,664,682 times
Well......

They can't defend their claims with any sort of meaningful science based on actual scientific method, so all they have left is to insult anyone who won't drink their "world is going to end in 12 years" koolaid.

Old 04-03-2019, 10:55 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,454,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Wrong, the science is settled that climate change is real except in the mind of deniers who are sadly victims of minds polluted with junk science and greed. They refuse to acknowledge the obvious.
See, this is exactly the dishonest approach you guys take. NOBODY denies that the climate changes.

Old 04-03-2019, 10:57 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,226,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post

The Man Mad Climate Change proponents will just have to reveal themselves for what they are. Communists, and that is occurring nationally. The curtain has been pulled back.

Wrong. I don't think NASA is a communist organization.

https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

Old 04-03-2019, 10:58 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,532,119 times
"Deniers" is a politically oriented term that alarmists constantly use to try to insult, denigrate and de-legitimize people who disagree with them for the purpose of trying to stifle discussion and the expression of dissenting viewpoints on this topic.

The term “deniers” is what people who have denied the holocaust are commonly referred to – as in “holocaust deniers”. By using this term, the AGW alarmists are collectively trying to associate people who have doubts and concerns about this alarmist movement with Adolph Hitler and his murderous campaign against the Jews.

Each and every time they do this, they are invoking Godwin's law, which states that if a discussion goes on long enough, it will eventually devolve to a point where comparisons to the Nazis are made, and whoever invoked the Nazis reference automatically loses whatever debate was in progress.

Since the common leftist name-calling slurs, including "Racist," "Bigot," "Homophobe," "Sexist," and "Misogynist" are clearly out of place here, they had to dig down deep to come up with an insult that was at least as vile and hateful as these other appellations are. The comparison with Hitler and the Nazis is what they have collectively agreed upon.

So these are the tactics that the left has devolved to here.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:01 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,406,037 times
You know darn well we are talking about man-made climate change and feigning ignorance on that issue does not help your cause.

Anthropogenic climate change is settled science. There is nothing to be gained anymore arguing with deniers.

The only question is what to do about it.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:01 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,194,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrancor View Post
Before I get started, a few disclaimers...

- I am not a Republican nor do I listen to or read right wing media. I am an independent who votes liberal more often than not and can't STAND the current POTUS.

- I do believe we really need clean energy and a clean environment.

- I am not a scientist nor do I play one on the internet. Like most people, I rely on what I read about the issues.

With that said, I've been following this debate for awhile and I really despise the term "denier" as in science denier for anyone who dares raise skepticism about AGW. It really is a lazy, nasty way to derail a debate by use of an ad-hominem attack versus a real exchange of ideas.

I've seen problems with temperature records called out. I've seen misleading reports in the media and even from scientists and scientific organizations. I've seen reports that say wildfires and tornados are actually in DECLINE. Yet if anyone raises this in a discussion, they are immediately labeled a "denier" as if they were committing some sort of blasphemy! Science should WELCOME skepticism!

This does not mean that I discount or dismiss all of climate science, it means that I can accept these many skeptical lines of information that you almost NEVER hear from the mainstream media.

Whenever I hear the term "denier" I realize this is no longer a debate but childish name calling and a lack of intellectual curiousity as well as a defensiveness that belies true confidence in one's position.
This I do know. The weather in the US has changed in my lifetime. It has become more extreme. More heat, more cold. More snow, tornadoes, hurricanes, floods. And because of warming in the summers, planting zones have shifted.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:03 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,359,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Climate change is real; it’s been happening for 4.6 billion years. Now, man- made climate change, and the world ending in 12 years according to your “scientists” is hoax. I assure you, the earth has gone through much much worse, survived and thrived.

Y’all make it seem scientists have never got anything wrong, Lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies