Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 11:42 AM

19,744 posts, read 10,182,248 times

Advertisements

I know it is called "weather". But some areas are seeing change and some are not. All of our heat records date back to the 1950s and the 1930s before that. Our cold records date back to the same time periods.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:44 AM

50,508 posts, read 47,285,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
You know darn well we are talking about man-made climate change and feigning ignorance on that issue does not help your cause.

Anthropogenic climate change is settled science. There is nothing to be gained anymore arguing with deniers.

The only question is what to do about it.

Science changes constantly by default. Claiming something is settled and will never be refuted is just stupid.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:45 AM

29,566 posts, read 9,788,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I have never worried about what other people thought about me or said about me. I have been called racist, a bigot all the liberal tags out there and I just laugh in their face. Because ultimately they cannot do anything to me. Some of those jackasses out there get all outraged when I shrug my shoulders and state I don’t care about what ever pet project they espouse.

Sometimes I do go out of my way. There was a protest by some people by the railroad right of way, which is illegal as being on the right of way constitutes trespassing. I received a radio call about this group of fifty people and I slowed down. When I rounded the bend, there they were, a guy yelling in a bullhorn and others beating drums. So, per regulations, I laid on the air horns neutering mr. Bullhorn. Since I was on a 1% grade, I selected notch eight on the throttle causing all five engines to start bellowing and the smoke pouring out of the stacks. The smoke laid all over the protesters causing them to scatter like quail. It was a good day.

Did I care what they thought of me? Nope.
I get a little concerned about people who don't care what other people think about them, especially when they go on and describe the sort of behavior you describe, that you go "out of your way" to enjoy.

And why? "Because ultimately they cannot do anything to me."

Now there's some thinking that deserves a choice label or two, but of course with some people, all that really matters to them is them! You must love this forum that provides a similar "safe place" where no one can do anything to anyone about what they think or do...

Your example of gassing everyone is much like someone who fahts in a room without thinking twice. Right! What can anyone do about such a person (other than avoid them whenever possible)?

I've NEVER been called a racist or a bigot. Just saying, but I have been accused of a thing or two without justification. I always care enough what others think to address false accusations. Easy enough for me in any case. If not, maybe the label fits better than we think it does...

Old 04-03-2019, 11:46 AM

33,585 posts, read 37,221,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut
Climate change is real; it’s been happening for 4.6 billion years. Now, man- made climate change, and the world ending in 12 years according to your “scientists” is hoax. I assure you, the earth has gone through much much worse, survived and thrived.

Y’all make it seem scientists have never got anything wrong, Lol.
This is typical of the type of post we see from people that deny climate science...No scientist has ever said the the world would end. ...This is what science actually said.... The world's leading climate scientists have warned there is only a dozen years for global warming to be kept to a maximum of 1.5C, beyond which even half a degree will significantly worsen the risks of drought, floods, extreme heat and poverty for hundreds of millions of people.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:47 AM

33,585 posts, read 37,221,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
NASA has pushed out the scientists who did not agree.
Really? Who might they be, and how many are there?

Old 04-03-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Science changes constantly by default. Claiming something is settled and will never be refuted is just stupid.
Guess that puts the Earth back at the center of the universe then...

Old 04-03-2019, 11:49 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,414,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post

There are people who claim it is not settled that the Earth is round. I will not waste my time arguing with them it is not so as well.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:51 AM

34,288 posts, read 18,667,803 times
The celebrities, politicians and rich people (elites) aren't selling their beach front properties, are they? Are they giving up their private jets, huge, multiple mansions, SUV's and large carbon footprints? No? Why not?

Old 04-03-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The celebrities, politicians and rich people (elites) aren't selling their beach front properties, are they? Are they giving up their private jets, huge, multiple mansions, SUV's and large carbon footprints? No? Why not?
Is this really some sort of argument for why we should dismiss what scientists are concerned about?

First answer that comes to my mind is that PEOPLE ARE THE PROBLEM! Much as you well describe!

Old 04-03-2019, 12:18 PM

16,959 posts, read 17,391,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
This is typical of the type of post we see from people that deny climate science...No scientist has ever said the the world would end. ...This is what science actually said.... The world's leading climate scientists have warned there is only a dozen years for global warming to be kept to a maximum of 1.5C, beyond which even half a degree will significantly worsen the risks of drought, floods, extreme heat and poverty for hundreds of millions of people.
And the notion that we can actually alter the climate with mass amounts of tax dollars, Lol.

Sorry, I’m not buying it.

I love having my smart devices, home, meat, appliances, cars, planes, reliable electricity, plastics, etc everything you guys want to take away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies