Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 12:18 PM

50,405 posts, read 47,145,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
There are people who claim it is not settled that the Earth is round. I will not waste my time arguing with them it is not so as well.
You are making my point. It was settled that it was flat at one time in history. Without constant change our science doesn't advance. Paleontologists constantly claim we have found the largest sauropod dinosaur to ever live. That is only static until we find a new larger one that completely blows the scale and rewrites history.

Old 04-03-2019, 12:26 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,715,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
You are making my point. It was settled that it was flat at one time in history. Without constant change our science doesn't advance. Paleontologists constantly claim we have found the largest sauropod dinosaur to ever live. That is only static until we find a new larger one that completely blows the scale and rewrites history.
Science never showed that the Earth was flat though.

Old 04-03-2019, 12:26 PM

33,567 posts, read 37,179,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
And the notion that we can actually alter the climate with mass amounts of tax dollars, Lol.

Sorry, I’m not buying it.

I love having my smart devices, home, meat, appliances, cars, planes, reliable electricity, plastics, etc everything you guys want to take away.
LOL....There is nothing I want to take away from you...

Old 04-03-2019, 12:28 PM

89,118 posts, read 44,928,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Wrong, the science is settled that climate change is real except in the mind of deniers who are sadly victims of minds polluted with junk science and greed. They refuse to acknowledge the obvious.
Earth's climate has been changing for over 4 billion years. That's LONG before man even existed.

9,519 posts, read 14,763,373 times
So just call them "fools". Like that better?

21,430 posts, read 7,475,296 times
The term Climate Change "Denier" really is awful!

Just telling it like it is. Some people like that quality.

Some things are so horrible or unsettling that the normal human reaction is to deny. A diagnosis of cancer or heart disease can elicit a similar response. One may try to deny reality, but reality has a way of catching up with them anyway.

Like holocaust deniers and evolution deniers, climate change deniers are willfully ignorant. They don't want to know or acknowledge the facts, it's just too hard for them to cope.

Normally, I wouldn't care. What does it matter to me that someone doesn't believe in evolution for instance? It's a harmless fantasy they embrace, so let them have it ...

Climate change is not like that. Deniers have made it a political statement. Deniers oppose actions that may help us in the future, or at least help mitigate the negative impact of these forthcoming changes. So because of their politics motivated by willful ignorance and fossil fuel industry money we can do nothing. They must accept the responsibility for their obstruction, and we must find a way to work around them for the sake of humanity.

DENIER is the mildest, most sensitive term I can think for it.

Old 04-03-2019, 12:33 PM

27,631 posts, read 28,732,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
No scientist has ever said the the world would end.

The world's leading climate scientists have warned there is only a dozen years for global warming to be kept to a maximum of 1.5C, beyond which even half a degree will significantly worsen the risks of drought, floods, extreme heat and poverty for hundreds of millions of people.
Your second paragraph certainly sounds like a scientist telling us the world is going to end.

What is the big deal about climate change if it doesn't mean the world is going to end? Why should it matter to any of us?

Old 04-03-2019, 12:33 PM

19,731 posts, read 10,153,367 times
Quote:
Really? Who might they be, and how many are there?
Start with the man you hate because he disagrees, but knows far more than you do. Dr. Roy Spencer.

Old 04-03-2019, 12:34 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,475,296 times
Quote:
Money from research grants isn’t making people rich. It just covers basic costs, sometimes just barely.
Let's try not to confuse them with facts. They are already distraught enough without breaking up their cherished narratives to boot.

Old 04-03-2019, 12:35 PM

19,731 posts, read 10,153,367 times
Quote:
Money from research grants isn’t making people rich. It just covers basic costs, sometimes just barely.
Research grants are the lifeblood of research. the problem is that the ones giving the grants want answers that they like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.