Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 02:49 PM

19,774 posts, read 22,673,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Someone mentioned competitive shooting. Something you may not know is that many of the top handgun competitors shoot between 30,000 and 100,000 rounds per year. Jerry Miculek posted a video a while back showing how he cleans his brass. He tumbles it in a concrete mixer and then dries it in ovens. Figure the top 20 pistol shooters probably have over 1,000,000 rounds on hand between them. At 50,000 rounds each, it's not hard to store all of that. Maybe 25 ammo cans. 30 max.

An average handgun or carbine class, not your run-of-the-mill CCW/CHP class, will require that you bring 500-1000 rounds for each gun. An IDPA match usually requires 125-150 rounds depending on stage rules and your accuracy. USPSA is probably higher and 3-Gun higher still.

I can see 8 trillion rounds of ammo being out there easily.

Thank you for reminding me, OP. I need to find a new recipe for 9mm. Power Pistol is getting hard to find.

Just on 1 goose hunt I can go through 50 rounds of shotgun shells, and I hunt pretty much every weekend during the season. I chew through a lot of shotgun rounds during waterfowl and upland game season.

I roll my own big game centerfire. I only shoot maybe 20-30 rounds a year.

I definitely shoot more shotgun shells p/yr than pistol/rifle combined..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 02:52 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,912,795 times
Quote:
I'm going to go out on a limb and ask if you really know much about guns? I ask because you mention flash suppressors like they are some magic device that makes muzzle flash impossible to see. In case you didn't know, they hide the flash from the shooter. That's it.
How dangerous can something be if it is sold on Amazon? https://www.amazon.com/Ltoutd-1X14-T...=116J4S23E8T1B

Old 04-05-2019, 06:33 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,122,942 times
Quote:
Someone mentioned competitive shooting. Something you may not know is that many of the top handgun competitors shoot between 30,000 and 100,000 rounds per year. Jerry Miculek posted a video a while back showing how he cleans his brass. He tumbles it in a concrete mixer and then dries it in ovens. Figure the top 20 pistol shooters probably have over 1,000,000 rounds on hand between them. At 50,000 rounds each, it's not hard to store all of that. Maybe 25 ammo cans. 30 max.

An average handgun or carbine class, not your run-of-the-mill CCW/CHP class, will require that you bring 500-1000 rounds for each gun. An IDPA match usually requires 125-150 rounds depending on stage rules and your accuracy. USPSA is probably higher and 3-Gun higher still.

I can see 8 trillion rounds of ammo being out there easily.

Thank you for reminding me, OP. I need to find a new recipe for 9mm. Power Pistol is getting hard to find.
I love me some thousands and thousands of rounds of 9 ‘sillymeter’

Old 04-05-2019, 06:36 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,121,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
We usually keep around 3000 rounds on hand which will suffice for a few target practice sessions at the range for the two of us.
That's just in my center console! If these Lefties only knew!

Old 04-05-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
Until recently I didn't know there was such a thing as home-made ammunitions.

We should outlaw the home-made ammo just as we have shut down meth labs, home bookies, and backyard rooster fights.
Will you be doing this personally?

Old 04-05-2019, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I suspect the majority of gun owners only have a couple hundred rounds or less on hand at any given time and there is only a tiny minority that actually stockpiles ammo in quantity. Hopefully I'm wrong.
Not where I live. You are gravely uninformed.

Old 04-05-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
We have people like this in my family. Hundreds of rounds of ammo. Flash suppressors, telescopic sights, bipods and assault rifles. They live in a fantasy world of a Rambo like uprising when the government comes to take their firearms. They're usually angry hostile types who had a grudge against the world even before the right to bear arms movement heated up.
Hundreds of rounds? Lions and tigers and bears, oh my.

Old 04-05-2019, 07:20 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Estimates of gun ownership is between 400 and 600 million guns. Probably around 100 million modern sporting rifles are in the hands of Americans. (AR, AK, etc)

I’ve seen estimates of 8 trillion rounds being out there in the US.

Just thought I’d tell that story.

Making ammunition more expensive does little to affect gun owners

Believe me, we stocked up a decade ago.
LOL! Very true.

And no one knows how many firearms people have. In those states requiring licensing, they may know which and how many handguns are owned by those in possession legally. But rifles and shotguns? Forget it.

Old 04-05-2019, 07:22 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Not where I live. You are gravely uninformed.
Most gun-grabbers are.

Old 04-07-2019, 12:35 PM

50,308 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I suspect the majority of gun owners only have a couple hundred rounds or less on hand at any given time and there is only a tiny minority that actually stockpiles ammo in quantity. Hopefully I'm wrong.
You would be way wrong. Especially here in CA that has a pending law for ammo so EVERYONE is stockpiling.

Good reloaded ammo is better than factory and for travesty you can't tell it apart from appearance so there ya go.

I've been reloading since the 70s and I was just a lil kid loading with my Dad.

For .223 I can get 1000 rounds out of one jug of powder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies