Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2019, 10:33 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,457,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Your own post (#736) said it’s a new Ohio attendance law. So it’s not law everywhere that illness is an unexcused absence.

Here’s what it is where I live:

MEDICAL RECOVERY WAIVER:

Form can be found below and requires documentation to be attached. These are to be turned into the guidance counselors. A medical recovery waiver can excuse attendance days but does not excuse students from work. Students are still responsible for making up work when missing school

It seems reasonable and sane to me.
States will be required to report chronic absenteeism rates for schools, and school districts will be allowed to spend federal dollars on training to reduce absenteeism, under a sweeping education bill signed into law by President Obama on Dec. 10.

The Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA), a reauthorization of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act or No Child Left Behind, represents the first time that federal education law specifically mentions this measure of attendance. Chronic absence differs from truancy in that it tracks both excused and unexcused absences.
https://www.attendanceworks.org/new-...king-training/

It might differ slightly how they handle it but it does include all states as it is federal. I'd look into yours more. Every school will be implementing strict policies on attendance. Some include the jailing of parents and excessive paperwork to excuse an absence. This will just make sure parents are scared enough to send sick kids to school. Do a bit more research if you're interested. I could pull up from most all states but it would be a lot of copy past action.

Old 04-16-2019, 10:37 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,457,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
What "documentation" is required? And why is it handed in to the guidance counselor, not the school nurse?
It piles up and doctors aren't likely to give it to you that often. They just tell you if you need to go to school it's fine as long as your fever is under a 100.

It has nothing to do with the prevention of spreading deadly illness. That is only a government concern it seems when there is a vaccine requirement to be met. It's indeed suspicious, and confusing

Kids dying from flu, we send them to school with said flu after a fever to spread it around without a vaccine mandate, kids not dying from Measles, we keep them home if not vaccinated. Weird.

Old 04-16-2019, 10:40 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,956,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
It piles up and doctors aren't likely to give it to you that often. They just tell you if you need to go to school it's fine as long as your fever is under a 100.

It has nothing to do with the prevention of spreading deadly illness. That is only a government concern it seems when there is a vaccine requirement to be met. It's indeed suspicious, and confusing
Did you know that when a child switches pediatricians the ONLY medical records that the offices transfer are immunization?

They don't care about any other documentation. Just the immunization stuff.

Old 04-16-2019, 10:45 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,816,503 times
Quote:
What "documentation" is required? And why is it handed in to the guidance counselor, not the school nurse?
Waivers are only necessary for excused absence after 5 consecutive days out of school. The form asks for:

Student name and student ID

Reason for waiver request

Specific dates for consideration

Class(es) for consideration

It asks parents to attach a doctor’s note that coincides with the waiver dates requested. The form can be given to the school nurse or a guidance counselor. I guess they use the same form for all grades.

No one has to apply for a waiver, but they can if they choose to.

Old 04-16-2019, 10:49 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,816,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
States will be required to report chronic absenteeism rates for schools, and school districts will be allowed to spend federal dollars on training to reduce absenteeism, under a sweeping education bill signed into law by President Obama on Dec. 10.

The Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA), a reauthorization of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act or No Child Left Behind, represents the first time that federal education law specifically mentions this measure of attendance. Chronic absence differs from truancy in that it tracks both excused and unexcused absences.
https://www.attendanceworks.org/new-...king-training/

It might differ slightly how they handle it but it does include all states as it is federal. I'd look into yours more. Every school will be implementing strict policies on attendance. Some include the jailing of parents and excessive paperwork to excuse an absence. This will just make sure parents are scared enough to send sick kids to school. Do a bit more research if you're interested. I could pull up from most all states but it would be a lot of copy past action.
I’ll leave the looking into it more to those with school age kids. Mine are long done with K-12. And college and grad school. Boy, I really am old!

Last edited by UNC4Me; 04-16-2019 at 11:15 AM..

Old 04-16-2019, 11:45 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,110,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Using worldwide stats that include developing countries is dishonest at best.
Not to mention completely irrelevant. Why would we compare our mortality rates from any cause of death; to countries where a significant part of the population does not have access to sanitation services or clean drinking water?

In regards specifically to mortality & Measles vaccine uptake; the facts do not support what some seem to think they do. The U.S. Measles vaccine uptake rate is at 92% but these countries have a 99% Measles vaccine uptake rate:

Bahrain, Bolivia, China, Comoros, Cuba, Dem. People's Rep. Korea, Guyana, Hungary, Iran, Kazakhstan, Luxembourg, Monaco, Morocco, Nicaragua, Oman, Paraguay, Qatar, Solomon Islands, Sri Lanka, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Thailand, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, Uzbekistan & Vietnam.
https://www.indexmundi.com/facts/ind....MEAS/rankings

And these are just a handful of the countries that have rates between 93%-98%: Columbia, Kuwait & Zambia at 93%. Algeria & Bangladesh at 94%. Zimbabwe & Rwanda at 95%. Mexico at 96%. Botswana & Bhutan at 97%. Mongolia at 98%.

In the U.S.; with 92% of our population vaccinated against Measles? We have a child mortality rate of 6.50 (per 1,000).

Kuwait; with 93% of their population vaccinated against Measles? Has a child mortality rate of 8.50.

Mexico; with 96% of their population vaccinated against Measles? Has a child mortality rate of 14.60.

Mongolia; with 98% of their population vaccinated against Measles? Has a child mortality rate of 17.90.

People's Rep. Korea; with 99% of their population vaccinated against Measles? Has a child mortality rate of 20.00.

Comoros; with 99% of their population vaccinated against Measles? Has a child mortality rate of 73.0.
https://www.indexmundi.com/facts/ind....MORT/rankings

Mortality rates from any cause, from LDCs (less-developed countries); are literally irrelevant to U.S. mortality rates from any cause & possibly; child mortality rates may be irrelevant to child vaccination rates; in LDCs.

Old 04-16-2019, 11:57 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,916,734 times
Quote:
Do not put words in my post or make any assumptions about me. What a pathetic way to try to insult me. Really.

The real issue in that story was that the doctor trumped the parents and called authorities, even after the mother who contacted the doctor multiple times, brought her child in, and told the doctor that the child was no longer feverish.

The doctor STILL called authorities. If you are going to attempt to report accurately? At least use the facts.

So yes, the doctor was out of line.
First off, tell me where I put words in your mouth or make assumptions about you? I'll wait...

Spoiler
Hint, I DID NOT. You just can't accept that I am right about the story because I have hear about it from various local outlets. The Representative speaking out about it compared forced vaccination to communism and otherwise is a far right loon trying to pass a bill in the legislature about perceptions of teachers pushing political agenda in school in light of #RedForEd and Arizona Educators United pushing the state legislature to actually increase funding for schools back to 2009 money. But that is a bit off topic here...

Second off, your interpretation of the article is misrepresenting the situation. The doctor encouraged going to the hospital for further testing. The parents chose not to when the fever finally broke. The doctor followed through and checked if the family came in and they didn't. The doctor then called the cops over that. A second child was found sick when they came in SWAT style after the parents denied the police to check the original child out.

Old 04-16-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
First off, tell me where I put words in your mouth. I'll wait...

Spoiler
Hint, I DID NOT. You just can't accept that I am right about the story because I have hear about it from various local outlets. The Representative speaking out about it compared forced vaccination to communism and otherwise is a far right loon trying to pass a bill in the legislature about perceptions of teachers pushing political agenda in school in light of #RedForEd and Arizona Educators United pushing the state legislature to actually increase funding for schools back to 2009 money. But that is a bit off topic here...

Second off, your interpretation of the article is misrepresenting the situation. The doctor encouraged going to the hospital for further testing. The parents chose not to when the fever finally broke. The doctor followed through and checked if the family came in and they didn't. The doctor then called the cops over that. A second child was found sick when they came in SWAT style after the parents denied the police to check the original child out.
I know the story.

Your interpretation is different from the facts. It also has nothing to do with this thread. Stalk me much???

Old 04-16-2019, 12:04 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,916,734 times
Quote:
I know the story.

Your interpretation is different from the facts. It also has nothing to do with this thread. Stalk me much???
I know the story too and the doctor did what was right, the parents didn't. You were the one that brought it up. You didn't like when I used the facts that got in the way of your narrative. Even your article said the doctor encouraged going to the hospital for the welfare of the child.

Old 04-16-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I know the story too and the doctor did what was right, the parents didn't. You were the one that brought it up. You didn't like when I used the facts that got in the way of your narrative. Even your article said the doctor encouraged going to the hospital for the welfare of the child.
Stop stalking me. It's seriously disturbed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.