Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 06:33 PM

35,075 posts, read 17,024,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
There is reporting suggesting that it is related to some renovation work that was being done.

A terrible day for France and the world.
No one wants to find out that it's another front in a war of "civilizations." Sadly, I suspect that it is. You have hundreds of thousands of disconnected and alienated migrants. Billions of people in the world believe that Christianity and Judaism are diabolical. These people do nothing constructive unless you consider sex to be productive. They ave nothing to do other than to plot mischief and destruction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2019, 06:43 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
I think it's totally possible it was an accident. I also know if it was deliberate and the perpetrator was Muslim the media will cover it up just like they did the mass rape incidents on New Years celebrations in Germany. Also possible it was deliberate by a White Frenchman do some anti Macron or anti religion grudge.

Old 04-19-2019, 08:04 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
A heritage site that roused barely a shrug two years ago means the world this week. A billionaire class that shrieked at the wealth taxes of the former president Fran̤ois Hollande is happy to stump up whatever it takes now. A politician, Emmanuel Macron, who has repeatedly told the poor they must live on less and the workers that they must give more to bosses, now plays at being a national leader Рlike Charles de Gaulle with more hair wax. And a capital city that over the past few months has been under siege from the working poor of the gilets jaunes is reminded once again of the enormous wealth held by a very few of its citizens. Everything that was impossible as late as 2017 is now deemed essential in 2019.

Of course, we would prefer private millions to be pulled out from under goose-feather pillows and spent on public works. But we should also be asking why it takes an almighty conflagration to force this to happen; and why those generous donors are so averse to giving their money to democratically chosen priorities, which is what taxes represent. If the ultra-rich can chuck in so many millions of euros for a building, then what stops them ending hunger and poverty?

Few want to ask that question, nor the obvious follow-up about how much the mulltibillion-owning Catholic church will stump up.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...Re-Bxa244jXbmY

Touching on a remark I made earlier.

Old 04-19-2019, 09:09 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
A heritage site that roused barely a shrug two years ago means the world this week. A billionaire class that shrieked at the wealth taxes of the former president François Hollande is happy to stump up whatever it takes now. A politician, Emmanuel Macron, who has repeatedly told the poor they must live on less and the workers that they must give more to bosses, now plays at being a national leader – like Charles de Gaulle with more hair wax. And a capital city that over the past few months has been under siege from the working poor of the gilets jaunes is reminded once again of the enormous wealth held by a very few of its citizens. Everything that was impossible as late as 2017 is now deemed essential in 2019.

Of course, we would prefer private millions to be pulled out from under goose-feather pillows and spent on public works. But we should also be asking why it takes an almighty conflagration to force this to happen; and why those generous donors are so averse to giving their money to democratically chosen priorities, which is what taxes represent. If the ultra-rich can chuck in so many millions of euros for a building, then what stops them ending hunger and poverty?

Few want to ask that question, nor the obvious follow-up about how much the mulltibillion-owning Catholic church will stump up.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...Re-Bxa244jXbmY

Touching on a remark I made earlier.
That's how people are. We never miss something until it's gone. And when it goes, there's nothing more we want back.

Old 04-19-2019, 09:24 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
No one wants to find out that it's another front in a war of "civilizations." Sadly, I suspect that it is. You have hundreds of thousands of disconnected and alienated migrants. Billions of people in the world believe that Christianity and Judaism are diabolical. These people do nothing constructive unless you consider sex to be productive. They ave nothing to do other than to plot mischief and destruction.
Nobody knows but I bet Quasimodo has a hunch!

Old 04-19-2019, 09:39 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Nobody knows but I bet Quasimodo has a hunch!
That definitely rings a bell.

Old 04-19-2019, 11:14 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
That definitely rings a bell.
That will take a toll on folks....

Old 04-20-2019, 02:11 PM

4,944 posts, read 3,316,689 times
here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post

Folks keep mentioning all the fires at other churches in France over the last months and years. What they don't mention is how those fires were started and if they are consistent in any way with this one. .
I am a curious person. I went looking. I noticed is very strange but is way difficult finding news on the other fires. I also searched a bit in french then found some not easy to find. I think maybe because ND is now big news google searches re route to the big news of Notre Dame.
Anyway then I search Youtube comments on this. French people mention some of the church names.
The Saint Sulpice fire the one before ND was a fire started from bunch of old clothes. And news explained it away as some homeless clothes stored in church got set alight (old clothes/rags) to start the fire.Putting this fire out lasted 15 minutes just found that bit now.Is only one news about specific clothes/fire I could find. I am always searching all sorts of things.

Maybe someone from France reads here and can find and post more causes.

Last edited by Nerys52SoSilver; 04-20-2019 at 02:20 PM..

Old 04-20-2019, 04:06 PM

24,636 posts, read 9,464,279 times
Reports say $1 billion will not be enough

Quote:
Stephane Bern, who heads heritage renovation programs across France, estimates the cost to completely repair the church will reach $1.13 billion to $2.3 billion.

A spokesman for the cathedral told CBS News that current donations may not cover those costs.

"We don't know if it's enough or not," Andre Finot said, the network reported Saturday. "You can say it's crazy to have a billion euros but we don't know. Maybe the cost is two or three billion."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies