Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2019, 02:58 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,505,945 times

Advertisements

Speaking of getting "layered" assistance, how's this:

A woman in Washington DC with three children, the youngest five months, has been living in a homeless "motel" for 11 months. She can choose:

1) to eat the provided meals, 3 a day for her and her children and/or
2) use food stamps to buy groceries and eat in her room and/or
3) use TANF cash to cross the street and have dinner in the Chinese restaurant across the street (where many of her homeless motel mates eat a couple times a week.

So I ask you, when a family in moved into a home where all meals are provided, why do they still get food stamps? And shouldn't the cash be reduced considering they have no food expenses?

People are clueless as to how much doubling- and tripling-up welfare recipients do. We need to make a lot of adjustments to these programs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 02:58 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Socio-economic status, that is a easy answer.
It's NOT an answer. Compare 2 of the data points given by the USDA:

The obesity rate of...

1) Those who receive Food Stamps
2) Those who qualify for Food Stamps (by income level) but have chosen to not receive them.

The Food Stamp group has a significantly higher obesity rate. Explain that: Same low income. VASTLY different obesity rates.
Quote:
This is not rocket science guys.
Then how on earth did you completely MISS the point? /SMH

Old 04-19-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Yeah, voluntary donations and church charities would work out well for sick folks too.
Why not? Are you claiming that "society" really doesn't want to pay for others' expenses out of their own pockets? Wouldn't that shoot the supposed "social contract" theory to hell? Wouldn't that make every liberal in the US a big fat liar?

Old 04-19-2019, 03:05 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
People talk about helping the poor through charitable donations, but listening to the same people speak about the poor with such disdain and resentment, I find it had to believe they'd be willing to give them one penny voluntarily. They are more likely to give them a kick in the teeth than anything else.

Old 04-19-2019, 03:06 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It's NOT an answer. Compare 2 of the data points given by the USDA:

The obesity rate of...

1) Those who receive Food Stamps
2) Those who qualify for Food Stamps (by income level) but have chosen to not receive them.

The Food Stamp group has a significantly higher obesity rate. Explain that: Same low income. VASTLY different obesity rates.
Then how on earth did you completely MISS the point? /SMH
Do you have a study that is more recent than 10 years old? Not trying to be snarky--things change.

Last edited by Enigma777; 04-19-2019 at 04:16 PM..

Old 04-19-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Speaking of getting "layered" assistance, how's this:

A woman in Washington DC with three children, the youngest five months, has been living in a homeless "motel" for 11 months. She can choose:

1) to eat the provided meals, 3 a day for her and her children and/or
2) use food stamps to buy groceries and eat in her room and/or
3) use TANF cash to cross the street and have dinner in the Chinese restaurant across the street (where many of her homeless motel mates eat a couple times a week.

So I ask you, when a family in moved into a home where all meals are provided, why do they still get food stamps? And shouldn't the cash be reduced considering they have no food expenses?

People are clueless as to how much doubling- and tripling-up welfare recipients do. We need to make a lot of adjustments to these programs.
Exactly. And that was the point of the USDA OIG's report. 59% of the families on Food Stamps are double-/triple-dipping or more in the Fed Gov's means-tested free food programs for the poor. The point of the OIG's report was to expose the Fed Gov's unnecessary double and triple or more spending on such programs, and the detrimental effect it was having on the poor by enabling significantly higher obesity rates.

Old 04-19-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
People talk about helping the poor through charitable donations, but listening to the same people speak about the poor with such disdain and resentment, I find it had to believe they'd be willing to give them one penny voluntarily. They are more likely to give them a kick in the teeth than anything else.
You're free to step up and donate. Anyone is.

Old 04-19-2019, 03:10 PM

21,939 posts, read 9,508,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
My grocery store has a delivery charge, so I assume these stores are delivering food without a service fee? I simply can't IMAGINE that people who are too poor to pay for their own groceries afford a delivery fee.
I think you are paying for it (and me).

Old 04-19-2019, 03:13 PM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
People who can afford buffet restaurants every day get fat too. I imagine this reflects a good portion of your middle class obesity population, mostly in the south and Midwest.

I see plenty of fat middle class men with money to burn on motorcycles, trucks, boats, beer, chain restaurants, vacations, etc. I like "greasy spoon" type places every so often but what I have seen there is incredible, the amount of food one man can put down. I understand some of the stats for men are inverted, and lower income men (probably not on SNAP) have lower levels of obesity than middle income men.

The relationship we have with food is interesting. I had a friend who was in the obese category. He was an upper income computer geek, smart as they come, but he could not get a handle on the eating. He did pass away at a fairly young age from heart trouble.

Old 04-19-2019, 03:16 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I think you are paying for it (and me).
I think you’re not. Take the time to read the article.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies