Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2019, 07:30 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,934,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
This is based on recent voting records:

1) Berkeley, CA
2) San Francisco, CA
3) Oakland, CA
4) Arlington, VA
5) Pasadena, CA
6) Boulder, CO
7) Sunnyvale, CA
8) Durham, NC
9) Alexandria, VA
10) Bellevue, WA

I wanted to ask as general question: Hypothetically, without using politics, if you were given a job offer in one of the cities above? Could you put politics aside to relocate to San Francisco? Keeping in mind costs of living, quality of life, real estate values, demographics, etc.

What about one of the most conservative cities?

1) Lafayette, LA
2) Tyler, TX
3) The Woodlands, TX
4) Knoxville, TN
5) Frisco, TX
6) Carrollton, TX
7) Murfreesboro, TN
8) Chattanooga, TN
9) Scottsdale, AZ
10) Huntsville, AL

Where would you rather live politics aside?

For me using these two lists I'd pick
1) Scotsdale, AZ
2) Boulder, CO
3) The Woodlands, TX
I don't understand the point of this thread. Politics is very low on my list of priorities when it comes to relocation. Cost of living, weather, good economy and quality education are much more important. I can rule out California and the Deep South based on those factors. The rest are fine; I don't relocate somewhere to surround myself with like-minded people.

Old 04-22-2019, 07:32 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Your willingness or ability to move anywhere, depends mostly on your income. If you're rich you can live almost anywhere, although some places certainly have better weather and scenery than others.

If you're poor, most of the country sucks. Although it is certainly better to be poor in a small town in West Virginia than in Southside Chicago(especially if you're white).

A lot of conservatives would and do move to liberal cities, if the amount of money they would make from taking a job there significantly exceeds the cost-of-living. Many suburban areas of liberal cities are incredibly-conservative, but almost every city votes democrat, even in the "reddest" states.

State capitals and college-towns also tend to be very liberal regardless of the state.

Old 04-22-2019, 08:12 AM

46,307 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Look at how much money those liberal cities generate. Full of highly educated people. So much diversity and opportunity there as well.

Huntsville has the highest % of Engineers in the United States per capita....

https://www.forbes.com/pictures/fjle.../#139bad39cca5

Old 04-24-2019, 06:59 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,087,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
What makes diversity a good thing?
Welp, at least we know where you stand on blacks and Hispanics.

Old 05-01-2019, 10:07 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
The Woodlands is full of snobs who think their s___ doesn't stink.
You sound like one of those kids in high school who is upset about what others have in their lives that you don't .

Quote:
I live not far from there. The Woodlands Costco has the rudest, most obnoxious people I have ever met in my life. Do you shop there, Texas?
Yet those people don't bother you enough to stop shopping there. If they did, you could go the Costco near 1960 and 249 or the one near 1960 and 59.

Old 05-01-2019, 11:14 PM

128 posts, read 120,678 times
Quote:
What makes diversity a good thing?
It's not. But liberals want you to live in a "diverse" area, while they live in Lilly white safe areas.

Old 05-01-2019, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Immigration is needed if a country can't keep its population growth at replacement levels to maintain a given economic output. Whether you like it or not,, the US fertility rate isn't at replacement levels, so personally, I want immigrants coming in and becoming new taxpayers, esp with the trillions in debt trump just added to the national credit card
The problem with uncontrolled immigration is that if they can't contribute to the economy, they become a burden. Just look at Germany. The random rape gangs comprised of "refugees" are sickening.

Old 05-01-2019, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Diversity also leads to internal conflicts up to and including civil wars. People across the globe are killing other people thanks to diversity.
Shhhhh. Your logic doesn't fit the narrative. Diversity ACTUALLY means less whites. That is its true meaning today. The original meaning makes liberals stick their fingers in their ears and scream.

Old 05-01-2019, 11:30 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
When it's forced as a result of "social engineering" as opposed naturally occurring diversity that happens from the free will of free people..
What does this have to do with cities and their demographic makeups?

Old 05-01-2019, 11:39 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
Because the more diversity there is in a place, especially of thoughts and life experiences...

The less any one broad kind of thinking-experience can squash other kinds of different ways of thinking and invalidate any other kinds of life experiences.

That less inhibited to express your actual beliefs and less likely to internalize the mainstream cultural narrative that "if you express or even have 'this' kind of idea you have, you're stupid or have a mental disorder",

The less inhibited and/or shamed different people are to think for themselves

The more they do think for themselves

The more independent thinking they get

The more creative they become

The more ideas they come up with

Which can translate into new findings about science, new ideas about technology, new products, new goods and services, and so forth.
There is a lot of research that shows that diversity is a positive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies