Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 12:08 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
But Fayetteville is the place to be in Arkansas, since it's growing fast.
Helps that it's a college town

Old 04-21-2019, 12:17 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
The problem is that many of those conservative cities are changing as they become more diverse. The Woodlands is really only moderately conservative and becoming less so as more Asians move there. Sugar Land is decidedly more liberal now than it was only a few years ago.

The California cities offer a good quality of life, but are very expensive, so I could not afford them.

I would move to Boston (again too expensive) or Chicago (my home town) in preference to any of the above, but in fairness, I don't really know much about the cities you list other than San Francisco and the Woodlands. I don't go solely by politics in terms of where to move.

Old 04-21-2019, 12:31 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 28 days ago)

27,647 posts, read 16,133,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Where did you get that from?
Have you been to Arkansas or Mississippi?

Old 04-21-2019, 12:31 PM

8,384 posts, read 4,367,951 times
I'd look at a number of things before deciding to live there. Politics ain't one.

Old 04-21-2019, 12:40 PM

2,531 posts, read 1,863,511 times
Maybe Durham NC or Boulder CO but live in the outskirts where it's more conservative.

Knoxville but don't care for the college vibe. Murfreesboro and Chattanooga included but heard they are expensive with lower pay.

Old 04-21-2019, 12:47 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Have you been to Arkansas or Mississippi?
Yes, I have. I used to be an OTR driver. And had been to both states on cross country drives when I was kid

Old 04-21-2019, 01:00 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
I lived in The Woodlands for 2 years before I bailed. It was the definiton of generic suburb, albeit with trees. I don't get the love of the place. I guess compared to the rest of Houston it's a step up.

Old 04-21-2019, 01:12 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
The California cities offer a good quality of life, but are very expensive, so I could not afford them.

I just did a quick google search, it looks like quality of life means observes life satisfaction, including everything from physical health, family, education, employment, wealth, safety, security to freedom, religious beliefs, and the environment. If this is the case, I think different people have different idea of good quality of life.

My parents' house in Newport Beach is closed to 1.8 million dollars (it is really below or average price for that area), my fiance's house is close to 1.2 million, my own house is close to 1mil. ALL my friends in other states have bigger better houses and their houses are 1/3 of the price we have to pay here. All my friends live in the good low crime neighborhoods.

A solid middle class couple cannot afford to live in my, my fiance, or my parents' neighborhood in California. They cannot afford buying a house here, but in other states, they can.

The traffic, oh my God, if we include traffic as a factor of quality of life, California perhaps is the worst.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 04-21-2019 at 01:37 PM..

Old 04-21-2019, 01:14 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,400,677 times
If I had the money, I would move closer to Scottsdale.

Old 04-21-2019, 01:20 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,070,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
This is based on recent voting records:

1) Berkeley, CA
2) San Francisco, CA
3) Oakland, CA
4) Arlington, VA
5) Pasadena, CA
6) Boulder, CO
7) Sunnyvale, CA
8) Durham, NC
9) Alexandria, VA
10) Bellevue, WA

I wanted to ask as general question: 1. Hypothetically, without using politics, if you were given a job offer in one of the cities above? Could you put politics aside to relocate to San Francisco? Keeping in mind costs of living, quality of life, real estate values, demographics, etc.

2. What about one of the most conservative cities?

1) Lafayette, LA
2) Tyler, TX
3) The Woodlands, TX
4) Knoxville, TN
5) Frisco, TX
6) Carrollton, TX
7) Murfreesboro, TN
8) Chattanooga, TN
9) Scottsdale, AZ
10) Huntsville, AL

Where would you rather live politics aside?

For me using these two lists I'd pick
1) Scotsdale, AZ
2) Boulder, CO
3) The Woodlands, TX

1. I'm not a knee-jerk, partisan hack lemming. But I could not and would not under any circumstances live in any of the towns in your Top 10 list. Not because of the cost of living (because if any of these towns were under consideration it would be because the job offer was sufficient enough for the COL to not be a consideration). But for both QOL and political considerations. I have lived in large metropolitan areas in England, Australia and Canada. I no longer want to live in big cities. Too many people, too little space, too little breathing room, too many choices, too much noise, too fast a pace, too much.............just too much. Additionally, the extreme partisan politics of these towns would preclude me from living in any of them. Completely, totally, absolutely contrary to the priorities, belief systems and priorities that I have in my life. Living in any of them would be like a prison sentence to me.

2. Re: your conservative cities. Lived in Middle TN for many years. Know Knoxville, Murfreesboro and Chattanooga very well. Knoxville and Chattanooga have some great qualities about them (not the least of which is their proximity to rivers, mountains, state and federal parks). Murfreesboro is a congested, crap-hole, bedroom community to a very liberal Nashville. Good place to shop and eat (and in the case of my son, go to college) but wouldn't live there if you paid me good money. All three - high crime. Nope, nope and hell nope. Huntsville AL isn't any better.

There are no cities on your list that I would consider. Ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies