Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2019, 07:24 AM

21,915 posts, read 9,486,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Exactly it is like saying those that celebrate Passover....instead of the Jews that celebrate Passover.

Of course it is Jews that celebrate Passover. That goes without saying if you are celebrating Passover you are......JEWISH.

Easter at a church -- CHRISTIANS.
Accidentally repped.

Didn't the media also call Notre Dame a 'tourist destination'?

Old 04-23-2019, 07:26 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,713,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
If it means the same thing, why didn't they just say "Christians"? Might it be because they just couldn't bring themselves to do that?
Maybe they understand that most Christians don’t go to church on Easter and there are thousands of brands of Christianity, some of whom are Orthodox and their Easter is this coming Sunday.

Old 04-23-2019, 07:26 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,604,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
What do Democrats plan to call Christians attacked during services on Wednesdays.... Wednesday worshippers??
Democrats? Everyone is free to pick their words. Christians, church goers, Bible study members, members of the congregation..... call them whatever you wantm because everyone will know who they are. Trump called them "people". Fine by me, because those "people" were in church, which makes it obvious they were Christians. I am sorry if you are having a hard time connecting the dots.

Old 04-23-2019, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
It is a forbidden word among democrats. Pretty soon, they will start calling Christianity "the c word".
Why would anyone assume the so called left are not comprised of people who identify as Christian?

Old 04-23-2019, 07:30 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,183,909 times
Weren't the people attending Easter services. Would that not make them Easter worshipers. The most un-Christian ones are the posters on here calling Obama and Clinton nasty names. Look in the mirror and do some self reflection on your own faith.

Old 04-23-2019, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
No it wasn't, it was AP's headline, verbatim:

Tourists, Easter worshippers lament closure of Notre Dame
I stand corrected. Thank you.

Looks like Tucker Carlson owns this particular outrage about the War on Easter.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/tuck...re-the-problem

Old 04-23-2019, 07:39 AM

79,914 posts, read 44,174,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
Weren't the people attending Easter services. Would that not make them Easter worshipers. The most un-Christian ones are the posters on here calling Obama and Clinton nasty names. Look in the mirror and do some self reflection on your own faith.
No, the language works in a specific way. I care less and I don't always get it right either but these would have been worshipers at Easter services.

To use an extreme you can use "devil worshipers". That defines who they worship. Easter worshipers does the same.

Old 04-23-2019, 07:40 AM

5,276 posts, read 6,208,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Christians were targeted by muslims on easter sunday. Easter worshippers weren't targeted. easter worshippers is no more a correct name for christians than if Obama had said Pulse nightclub patrons were targeted by a terrorist. LGBT was targeted, and was acknowledged explicity, by a muslim terrorist, not nightclub patrons.

words matter.
They did not kill random Christians. They killed people in the act of worshipping on the Easter holiday. It was actually a much more descriptive term. And to many a bigger transgression. There was a church massacre in my city 4 years ago and the press made constant reference to the victims as bible study participants or parishioners of the particular church. It did not negate them being Christian- it mean they were Christians who were involved in a particular Christian practice or members of a particular Christian church.

Referring to them as 'Easter worhippers' can also signify that they were in church on Easter as opposed to a normal Sunday. It is common knowledge that church attendance (or Mass in the religion I was raised) absolutely swells at Christmas and Easter. Also- more knowledgeable people recognize Easter as the most important Christian holiday as opposed to Christmas which is the most commercial. So ID'ing them as Easter worshipers actually drives home an added significance to the crime.

And by your own standard- would saying someone attacked a gay night club be omitting the fact that LGBT humans were attacked since a headline simply said referred to a gay nightclub? If so let me pull out my moral outrage badge, get 'woke,' and review all the Fox News headlines from the Pulse shooting.

This might be the stupidest thread I have seen a good, long while. As such- I'll be checking in through the day just to witness the humanity of it all...

Old 04-23-2019, 07:45 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,890,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
You shouldn't be so hard on yourself.

After all, you chose to post in this topic.
Oh, that's a good one. Repeat a petty, false allegation the far-right media planted, then sit smugly by and criticize those who call you on it.

For the record, Hillary Clinton is a cradle United Methodist and has often written about the huge role of her faith and her church in her life.

Barrack Obama is also Christian and a church-goer, and he has also written and spoken about his faith.

As many, many others have pointed out, a wide variety of terms can be used to describe the victims of this latest atrocity - using "Easter worshippers" is efficient and accurate, as it indicates both the date, the location, and the religious identity of those who were murdered. Using "Christians" instead would only provide the victims' religious identity, with no inclusion of the religious holiday and the location involved.

If you are really this perturbed by this turn of phrase, you need to widen your horizons and involve yourself in something more productive than such obvious petty nit-picking.

Old 04-23-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Everyone who is criticizing this knows that the only people who worship on Easter are Christians and that saying Christian Easter worshipers is redundant. Those aren't the points. The points are that using the term 'Easter worshipers' rather than Christians is bizarre, and that it represents a calculation. But then I didn't need to illustrate that to you....you already knew that that is the case. You just agree with this bizzare usage, likely for the same reason....you just likely don't want to admit that Christians are sometimes the ones who are attacked, etc. It takes away from the narrative that right wing Christians are the problem. And I say the above as someone who is agnostic, not Christian.
The majority of people who identify as Christians do not attend church on Easter. Not all Christians celebrate Easter on the same Sunday.

Trump and Melanie presided over the 141st Easter Egg Roll. This year, musical eggs were featured. It is the oldest continuous White House tradition.

Some Presidents have kept the mood light while others have used the occasion for political purposes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies