Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2019, 11:36 AM

33,322 posts, read 12,505,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by remsleep View Post
I am hoping for wind, rain and a lot of walking for the Clown in Chief. Hopefully we will get to see a Darth Vader sans helmet in the golf cart moment. It is embarrassing that our current drunk uncle reality show President constantly reminds the world just how stupid many Muricans really can be.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 11:38 AM

33,322 posts, read 12,505,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Oh? So Obammy is going too? Will "bath house Barry" bring the Queen an updated mp3 player of his speeches?

This thread is a crackup...coming from both ends.

Old 04-23-2019, 11:53 AM

27,151 posts, read 13,438,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Thank you for the interesting info. I doubt if Trump has ever heard or read anything about these very pertinent background details. It's stories like these that add human interest and color to the big picture.

I hope Trump is somehow persuaded to brush up on the basics of WWII in general, and D-Day in particular, prior to his visit. He's already embarrassed my country far too much...

I do like history, and D-Day was a good example of people doing their best in extraordinary times.

The soldiers were indeed very brave, however those who tirelessly worked behind the scenes treating the injured should also be remembered.

As for the vast scale of D-Day and even the size of the military hospitals, it's incredible.

I would rep you but it won't let me.

As for military they moved to the new Queen Alexandra Hospital in Portsmouth in 2006 which they share with the NHS, whilst the Royal Haslar Hospital was made in to very nice apartments, a residential home, commercial space and a hotel.

Ministry of Defence Hospital Units - Wikipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Tell him the Banqueting House was once part of a royal palace, rather than just saying it was part of Whitehall - he'd have no idea what that implied and most likely knows nothing about Charles I, the English Revolution, or anything else related to that historic place - and he'd probably snap up the opportunity to hold forth there.

Oh, yeah, serve him hamberders decked out with golden cheese, on golden salvers...it's a Banqueting House, after all.
LOL - Poor Charlie had his head cut off outside Banqueting House in 1649, although I don't think we will be doing the same to Trump, especially given the size and military might of the US.

Banqueting House is the only remaining component of the Palace of Whitehall, so is technically a Royal Palace.

Banqueting House

Mansion House, London - Wikipedia

Last edited by Brave New World; 04-23-2019 at 12:41 PM..

Old 04-23-2019, 12:59 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,620,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remsleep View Post
I am hoping for wind, rain and a lot of walking for the Clown in Chief. Hopefully we will get to see a Darth Vader sans helmet in the golf cart moment. It is embarrassing that our current drunk uncle reality show President constantly reminds the world just how stupid many Muricans really can be.
Nah..The Queen will find it a nice respite from the migraine inducing, racist, knob, Obarfo and his uppity, disgusting reign of hate. Nice try though..

Old 04-23-2019, 01:00 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,451,916 times
Donald Trump to have an official state visit to the UK on the 3rd June 2019 to mark 75th anniversary of D-Day

President Bonespurs finally gets his carriage ride paid for in blood on Omaha Beach.

Old 04-23-2019, 10:32 PM

1,438 posts, read 778,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Donald Trump to have an official state visit to the UK on the 3rd June 2019 to mark 75th anniversary of D-Day

President Bonespurs finally gets his carriage ride paid for in blood on Omaha Beach.
I actually hope Trump is allowed to address Parliament. A Trump pro-Brexit speech broadcast nationwide could be the trigger that finally forces a second referendum. Trump is EXTREMELY disliked in the UK, with a 21 percent approval rating (14 percent among UK women!) Trump’s approval would be the literal kiss of death. If Trump had been president during the Brexit referendum, it would have lost in a landslide.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/internat...e/Donald_Trump

Old 04-23-2019, 11:18 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,407,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GABESTA535 View Post
I actually hope Trump is allowed to address Parliament. A Trump pro-Brexit speech broadcast nationwide....
Which nation? The UK, or the US, or both?

Mr. Trump speaking to the UK Parliament would not be a good idea, IMHO. He might have a prepared speech, written by professional speechwriters, but his speeches so far have had so many ad-libs and off-topic digressions, that speaking to the UK's Parliament might prove disastrous. How will UK Parliamentarians react to him talking about Central Americans "storming" the US's southern border, or how his EOs have been blocked by the 9th Circuit, should he digress into those (or other US-local) topics? Not well, I suspect, because those topics have nothing to do with US-UK relations.

A world leader invited to address the governing body of another country should stick to relations between the two countries, trade between the two countries, shared history, and other similar topics between the two countries; and it should always revolve around the theme of, "we are stronger together." I doubt that Mr. Trump can be trusted to "stick to the script" if he was invited to address the UK Parliament.

Old 04-23-2019, 11:56 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The President will get a full state visit this time including according to media reports a full horse drawm carriage parade down the mall to Buckingham Palace and visiting 10 Downing Street, and President Trump will be attending the 75th anniversary of D-Day in Portsmouth, where there will be a fleet of ships from around the world.

Donald Trump to get full state visit including carriage procession in June - Metro

Given that it's the 75th anniversary of D-Day, I hope any protestors show respect, especially in relation to events at Portsmouth.
I hope it pours and is extremely windy. That said, good going, Theresa. The Queen can always have the carriage sterilized after the fact.

If he gives a speech, I have no doubt that he will embarrass us, but he can do that in DC. This will be Theresa's best shot at getting a halfway decent trade deal.

He's clueless about history, but, please, please, let someone point out to him where Charles I was beheaded.

Old 04-24-2019, 06:30 AM

27,151 posts, read 13,438,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I hope it pours and is extremely windy. That said, good going, Theresa. The Queen can always have the carriage sterilized after the fact.

If he gives a speech, I have no doubt that he will embarrass us, but he can do that in DC. This will be Theresa's best shot at getting a halfway decent trade deal.

He's clueless about history, but, please, please, let someone point out to him where Charles I was beheaded.
Donald can alwats go for a pint in Portsmouth at the local student pub, which is the aptly named The Honest Politician.

Last edited by Brave New World; 04-24-2019 at 06:38 AM..

Old 04-24-2019, 06:44 AM

17,441 posts, read 9,263,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I hope it’s not raining, he might have to cancel.
Not to worry - I’ve seen that Coach in the Royal Mews and it’s not an open Coach. The Royal Mews is worth a visit when in London.

I just hope none of this stuff happens.

May 2011: After toasting the Queen, Obama continues speaking as the band starts playing ‘God Save the Queen.’
This awkward moment had both countries wincing, as the President presumed to keep speaking even though the band started playing.

The BBC notes: According to protocol, however, he (Obama) should have stopped after the toast.

May 2011: Barack Obama signs wrong date in Westminster Abbey visitor’s book
President Obama visited Westminster Abbey in 2011, but signed the guestbook dating his entry as May 24, 2008.

“Mr. Obama could perhaps be forgiven for having fond memories of 2008, as that was the year he was elected to the Oval Office.” the Telegraph notes.

May 2011: Barack Obama snubs British scientists by refusing to receive Royal Society medal
The Telegraph reports: “Sources close to the state visit said members of the Royal Society were ‘deeply offended’ by the snub and had accused Mr Obama of being obsessed with his ‘street cred.’”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies