Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 10:59 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,497,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
When and if you are crying the victim my prediction is you won't be posting here.

How the heck could he "see the writing on the wall" when RR and all his friends were telling us that Tickle Down and Tax Cuts and more efficiency would pay off for ALL of us. He went to work every day, never hassled anyone and put his nose to the grindstone and worked.

Granted, that does not rise to "King of Real Estate" or "Day Trader" level, but it is very typical of people who simply want to do a honorable days work.

If Reagan and his buddies would have just told us "Hey, we are going to create the Rust Belt and do everything we can to ********* all"...well, then, maybe those people would have seen the writing on the wall But they didn't. It's only in hindsight that one can see...like the lobster slowly boiled.
Strange how I went from being a grease monkey to a business owner in 12 years time...
I wonder if seeing the writing on the wall and taking advantage of the opportunities that existed coupled with applying myself improved my situation...

Blame whomever you want. End of the day that's his problem to have improved. Nobody else's.

I kept seeing SLTS labor op codes be revised to save To save FoMoCo money in warranty repairs.
Writing was clear and bold. That's being paid based on production-flat rate. Each job paid a certain amount of time. And that time did not account for rust, corrosion, etc.
So your options are
1. Whine about it on a forum.
2. Whine to the corporatist in charge of the bean counters.
3. Figure out ways to improve/decrease the amount of time spent doing that labor op without sacrificing quality.
4. Move on to something bigger and better. Maybe take a risk that will pay off...

Care to guess which ones I did?

And yes I've been broke. I've felt hunger pains. I will never ever go through that again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2019, 11:03 AM

20,757 posts, read 8,579,752 times
Type 2 diabetes is an eating disorder. Specifically, an OVER eating disorder that is reversed by losing weight.

Old 04-26-2019, 11:33 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Strange how I went from being a grease monkey to a business owner in 12 years time...
Well, I have you beat by a lot on that front. I went from actually cleaning human solid waste off the floor to being a business owner in 2 years. In 12 I was looking at the possibility of an early retirement (which did happen).

But I am also well enough versed in this work to understand that some people want to work honestly and hard and if everyone is the "head" of the crew or business, that won't work. The business or crew needs others....

It's the regular people I am referring to....who have always been the masses. Today they are largely driving uBer and losing money (but they don't realize it).

Old 04-26-2019, 11:38 AM

8,168 posts, read 3,127,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
https://www.bcbs.com/the-health-of-a...of-millennials

Wow, looks like the aggressive keeping up with the Jones and trying to live like the Kardashians isn't working out so well among millennials.

In 8 out of 10 categories milllennials are less healthy than Generation X at the same age.
There are so many root causes to factor in. Just a few are social media as you mentioned above. Plus most of them probably think getting out and doing a few miles a week on the electric skateboard or scooter is actual exercise. Most of them can't even leave the house for food, instead ordering up a batch of junkfood via doordash. And then we have.........Starbucks. A thousand calories in just one drink.

Old 04-26-2019, 11:44 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,497,598 times
Quote:
Well, I have you beat by a lot on that front. I went from actually cleaning human solid waste off the floor to being a business owner in 2 years. In 12 I was looking at the possibility of an early retirement (which did happen).

But I am also well enough versed in this work to understand that some people want to work honestly and hard and if everyone is the "head" of the crew or business, that won't work. The business or crew needs others....

It's the regular people I am referring to....who have always been the masses. Today they are largely driving uBer and losing money (but they don't realize it).
Lol craigiri. I'm better than you. I did it in 2 years.
Also craigiri. Woe is the little guy who can't make it. Employers have a duty to be financially responsible for their employees retirement.

ROFL
So. How many pensions did you set up for your employees?
How many did you introduce to an investor?
How many did you give lessons to on investing and budgeting?

Old 04-26-2019, 11:47 AM

20,757 posts, read 8,579,752 times
Quote:
I went from actually cleaning human solid waste off the floor to being a business owner in 2 years.
You should sell franchises in Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles and San Diego. You'd make a bloody fortune!

Old 04-26-2019, 11:47 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
There are so many root causes to factor in. Just a few are social media as you mentioned above. Plus most of them probably think getting out and doing a few miles a week on the electric skateboard or scooter is actual exercise. Most of them can't even leave the house for food, instead ordering up a batch of junkfood via doordash. And then we have.........Starbucks. A thousand calories in just one drink.
Actually there are a lot of Millennials who look down on others who live this lifestyle. There's a large number of young people who do try to stay healthy and exercise and most of them tend to congregate in more progressive parts of the country. Go over to the General US/City v City forum and you'll find young people want to live in places where this lifestyle is NOT the norm.

Old 04-26-2019, 12:53 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,303,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
But wasn't it boomers who invented the participation trophy?
Not mine, we saw winning as a way of life, we were the ''sticks and stones''/''actions have consequences'' generation. We spanked our kids, valued EARNING self respect, and advocated getting married
before having kids.

Old 04-26-2019, 01:03 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Actually there are a lot of Millennials who look down on others who live this lifestyle. There's a large number of young people who do try to stay healthy and exercise and most of them tend to congregate in more progressive parts of the country. Go over to the General US/City v City forum and you'll find young people want to live in places where this lifestyle is NOT the norm.
We just wrapped up the spring break down here in FL, and the Millenials looked pretty healthy to me. I guess its a different story in the deep South.

Old 04-26-2019, 01:09 PM

73,019 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Maybe the problem is too much food (junk food particularly) and too much time on social media. Just throwing that out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies