Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: should bb and pellet guns be subject to background checks under federal law?
Yes. 9 10.47%
No, simply take the opportunity to outright ban weapons such as the Umarex. 2 2.33%
No, it's not a problem; do nothing. 74 86.05%
other (please explain below). 1 1.16%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 06:09 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,009,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Can you kindly post a link to the air rifle that shoots a 21.65 inch diameter projectile? I'd like to buy it.
OK, you got me there. I did not do the math, so it must have been a misprint. It was from the link in post #1. You'd have to as the 'Umarex' folks to explain it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2019, 06:36 PM

8,059 posts, read 3,943,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
OK, you got me there. I did not do the math, so it must have been a misprint. It was from the link in post #1. You'd have to as the 'Umarex' folks to explain it.
LOL! it wasn't a typo, you just don't know what you're talking about. The air rifle fires a 550 grain round.

Your toy M1 Grande forgot to teach 12-year-old little you the difference between units of length and units of weight regarding ammo.

Old 04-27-2019, 06:58 PM

18,454 posts, read 7,086,044 times
Quote:
I've heard of people concealing rifles in golf bags, pretending to be on their way to the golf course. Anyway, these are moot points. The question is whether a rifle firing a 550 millimeter bullet, capable of killing a BISON should be available with no background check, no paperwork, nothing.

Making background checks a requirement for free citizens to exercise their 2nd amendment rights
is unconstitutional..... so the answer to that would be a yes.

Old 04-27-2019, 07:07 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,878,006 times
Quote:
https://www.cbs17.com/video/police-p...523/1953866814

Just yesterday there was an incident in NC in which someone fired a BB gun at a bright yellow school bus. Fortunately, no one was hurt--this time....

BB and pellet guns are not considered firearms under federal law. So you can walk into a gun shop, plunk down cash, and walk out with a deadly weapon--no questions asked.

Consider the Umarex 'Hammer' .50 caliper airgun. It fires a 550 millimeter bullet at 760 feet per second (that works out to 518 miles per hour, to put it in perspective).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cGEISHVyEk

It shoots a 3 bullet clip from an air tank. It's unclear how much it takes to reload once the air tank runs out. It was used by a TV sporting show host to take down a bison. A BISON!. Again, plunk down cash, no paperwork, no background check, no ID, and you walk out with this weapon.

Something needs to be done. This would be a perfect task for our new D-controlled US House.
How many people die each year to a BB fired by a BB gun? A pellet? Now how many die due to texting while driving? How many die due to spooning cinnamon ? Eating Tide pods? Yeah those college dares... Better ban universities due to all the deaths and injuries caused by Frat parties and frat challenges.

The Hammer costs 800 bucks. I can only imagine that very few are sold. It does not include sights or support equipment. Hello Chicken little the sky is falling again......

Old 04-27-2019, 09:25 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,145,508 times
OMG BB gunz. All thu childrenz gonna dieded.

Old 04-28-2019, 12:36 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Do you need a background check for a beanbag shotgun because I think they should fire them at the people climbing over the border fence and knock them back into Mexico.

Old 04-28-2019, 03:12 AM

3,366 posts, read 1,605,427 times
Quote:
I've heard of people concealing rifles in golf bags, pretending to be on their way to the golf course. Anyway, these are moot points. The question is whether a rifle firing a 550 millimeter bullet, capable of killing a BISON should be available with no background check, no paperwork, nothing.
I gotta know, are you just really good at playing dumb or is this legit?

Old 04-28-2019, 07:17 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,366,656 times
Quote:
I must confess I had a Crosman BB gun that was given to me as a Christmas present around age 12. It was modeled after the M1 Grande, which is why to this day I am knowledgeable on the topic.

I accidentally shot out our basement window aiming at a cord hanging from a light switch. I wanted to see if I could hit it and make it swing back & forth. My dad did not complain, no doubt because he knew it was his fault for giving me the weapon in the first place. I don't know whatever happened to the weapon. Probably my mom rightfully threw it out in the trash.
The mailman should have used a condom.

You should have known the first rule of hunters safety: know your target and what's beyond.

You are just a different version of school shooter.

Old 04-28-2019, 08:23 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,990,006 times
Quote:
https://www.cbs17.com/video/police-p...523/1953866814

Just yesterday there was an incident in NC in which someone fired a BB gun at a bright yellow school bus. Fortunately, no one was hurt--this time....

BB and pellet guns are not considered firearms under federal law. So you can walk into a gun shop, plunk down cash, and walk out with a deadly weapon--no questions asked.

Consider the Umarex 'Hammer' .50 caliper airgun. It fires a 550 millimeter bullet at 760 feet per second (that works out to 518 miles per hour, to put it in perspective).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cGEISHVyEk

It shoots a 3 bullet clip from an air tank. It's unclear how much it takes to reload once the air tank runs out. It was used by a TV sporting show host to take down a bison. A BISON!. Again, plunk down cash, no paperwork, no background check, no ID, and you walk out with this weapon.

Something needs to be done. This would be a perfect task for our new D-controlled US House.
Travis, BTW thanks for the link. After a bit of research, it seems this manufacturer looks like they have air guns that can store an air charge for extended periods, which solves a problem for me. Now I can have a ready anti varmint piece at the ready, to legally dispatch critters such as coyotes within city limits that want to kill my dogs.

Again thanks!

Old 04-28-2019, 08:25 AM

50,264 posts, read 47,023,439 times
An air gun? Really? You can steal a car and mow down all the people you want for nothing. Why would someone go the route of an air rifle. Sheesh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies