Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 11:41 AM

45,585 posts, read 27,215,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Yes that is partial spin but not really. Facts are we lost long ago and there is nothing to win anyway.

WASHINGTON (AP) — Amid a battlefield stalemate in Afghanistan , the U.S. military has stopped releasing information often cited to measure progress in America’s longest war, calling it of little value in fighting the Taliban insurgency.

https://www.apnews.com/253f6e2504ad4c72aed8a2d0499a673e

18 years and we are at a stalemate? What exactly is the point? Afghanistan has now kicked the ass of the Soviet Union and the United States. You can not defeat a people with nothing to lose.
It's not partial spin... it's total spin.

Next paragraph...

The move fits a trend of less information being released about the war in recent years, often at the insistence of the Afghan government, which had previously stopped the U.S. military from disclosing the number of Afghans killed in battle as well as overall attrition within the Afghan army.

The latest clampdown also aligns with President Donald Trump’s complaint that the U.S. gives away too much war information, although there is no evidence that this had any influence on the latest decision.

There's absolutely nothing to see here. Just more useless nipping at Trump's heels...

The thread title is total fake news and a lie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2019, 12:22 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,581,758 times
US is seeking an exit.

"U.S. diplomats want to implement a cease-fire and negotiate a peace settlement based on the current map and territory controlled. The Taliban, meanwhile, have announced their annual spring offensive. The insurgent group is poised to continue seeking leverage."

link

It looks much worse to see substantial ground lost after an agreement is reached.

Old 05-01-2019, 12:26 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Wait a minute. There's another thread that says no one can win a war without a huge military, tanks and choppers.
That may be true. Where there is something to win.

Old 05-01-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
Don’t the libs object when Trump pulls troops from the Middle East?

Do we have to wait until a dem president is in office for it to be okay??
I was asked what I would do. I answered. I can not answer for others. We had a (D) president and he didn't do it so I do not know what we must wait for.

For the record also, Trump's own party also objected. He cowered in the corner.

Old 05-01-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
It's not partial spin... it's total spin.

Next paragraph...

The move fits a trend of less information being released about the war in recent years, often at the insistence of the Afghan government, which had previously stopped the U.S. military from disclosing the number of Afghans killed in battle as well as overall attrition within the Afghan army.

The latest clampdown also aligns with President Donald Trump’s complaint that the U.S. gives away too much war information, although there is no evidence that this had any influence on the latest decision.

There's absolutely nothing to see here. Just more useless nipping at Trump's heels...

The thread title is total fake news and a lie.
We always find someone else to blame.

Old 05-01-2019, 01:41 PM

12 posts, read 4,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
18 years and we are at a stalemate? What exactly is the point? Afghanistan has now kicked the ass of the Soviet Union and the United States. You can not defeat a people with nothing to lose.
They didn't kick our ass - we are a nation where our global empire is collapsing. It's like the police in a town where the criminals know the police are losing all their money and will soon be leaving. We are still there to control the drugs. No one cares about the Taliban or other.

Old 05-01-2019, 01:44 PM

4,258 posts, read 3,179,117 times
Having recently spent time with a group of SF officers (all of whom spent significant time in Afghanistan unlike the majority of posters in this thread), there were multiple themes that came up time and again in our discussions. 1) What you hear and see in the news is NOT accurate, 2) We can't win a military victory because we are limited in what we can do to win said war, 3) There will be NO solution without the Taliban. I was surprised to hear from all of them that a significant amount of the Taliban are somewhat moderate....not as radical as we have been led to believe over the last couple of decades. 4)We can't fix the Afghanistan government!

I have no reason to discount the accuracy of what was told to me. So, if we are not going to do what it takes to win, why be there?

Old 05-01-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohwellorwell View Post
They didn't kick our ass - we are a nation where our global empire is collapsing. It's like the police in a town where the criminals know the police are losing all their money and will soon be leaving. We are still there to control the drugs. No one cares about the Taliban or other.
Well, OK. If you want to argue we are keeping the drugs flowing and can consider that a win, I suppose so if someone wanted to look at it that way.

Old 05-01-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
Having recently spent time with a group of SF officers (all of whom spent significant time in Afghanistan unlike the majority of posters in this thread), there were multiple themes that came up time and again in our discussions. 1) What you hear and see in the news is NOT accurate, 2) We can't win a military victory because we are limited in what we can do to win said war, 3) There will be NO solution without the Taliban. I was surprised to hear from all of them that a significant amount of the Taliban are somewhat moderate....not as radical as we have been led to believe over the last couple of decades. 4)We can't fix the Afghanistan government!

I have no reason to discount the accuracy of what was told to me. So, if we are not going to do what it takes to win, why be there?
What was told you it seems is that we can't win. Some who have never been there have been noting this for a long time.

Old 05-01-2019, 01:50 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
And yet you constantly ignore who created and started that war and who continues all the wars today!
That war WAS started by the 9-11 attackers. Do you disagree that they shouldn't have been attacked and taken out?

It was Obama, years later, that created the mess we have now when he foolishly decide to nation build Afghanistan like the Soviets did 20 years earlier. It was a Democrat War of Choice that got 1000s killed for nothing.

I hope that clears it up for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies