Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 11:14 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
All of the bold are important. Some of my closest friends work in Gwinnett in particular. Gwinnett is their primary focus as they feel they have Cobb in the bag. They are even looking at counties gaining population in south metro that are usually red like Henry.

Many conservatives in the south are unaware of how southern urban/suburban areas are being targeted by Democrats to turn blue and I think they will be surprised in GA soon.
Gwinnett is a big focus. And I can see why. It is a big county with alot of people moving from all over. Large number of Hispanics and Asians have moved there. Alot of people from northern and western states have moved there. It has become the 2nd most populated county in Georgia. Gwinnett is 24% Black, 20% Hispanic, 11% Asian. I would say that the Non-Hispanic White population in Gwinnett is around 40%. It is a diverse county.

I would also look at the south and west sides of metro Atlanta. Clayton County turned majority Black around 2000. Henry County went from 14% Black in 2000 to 37% Black in 2010. It might become majority Black in 2020. Douglas County is likely already majority Black. It was 19% Black in 2000. In 2010 it was 40% Black. This was made very evident in 2008 when former President Obama carried Douglas County. From 1980 to 2004, Republicans reliably held Douglas County. In 2008, that came to an end. A surge in the Black population is a big contributor.

In 2016, former Douglas County chairman Tom Worthan was recorded making some racially incendiary comments.

https://www.ajc.com/news/local-govt-...jij3peheLma1H/

Excerpt from AJC:

Quote:
Worthan could be heard saying that governments run by blacks “bankrupt you,” and that if African-American sheriff candidate Tim Pounds were elected, “he would put a bunch of blacks in leadership positions” they may not be qualified for.
Saying that in a county that is about 40-45% Black, it will be costly. And it cost Tom Worthan. He was up for re-election, and lost soundly.

Rockdale County is 45% Black and 40% White. The rapid demographic changes that took place in Clayton County, it is taking place for Rockdale, Douglas, and Henry counties. As more Blacks move out of Atlanta proper, and Black people from other states move to the Atlanta metro area, it will surprise some people. Now, it won't be especially surprising to people living in Georgia. Many who have seen rapid demographic changes have moved to other places.

The people who will be surprised live outside of Georgia. Those who live near the Atlanta area won't be especially surprised.

Old 05-10-2019, 11:52 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
white, poor, uneducated folks don't get the benefit of affirmative action.

I'm beginning to hate blacks as a group. Not individuals.
You obviously didn't know that the biggest beneficiaries of affirmative action policies are white women.

Old 05-10-2019, 11:56 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
white, poor, uneducated folks don't get the benefit of affirmative action.

I'm beginning to hate blacks as a group. Not individuals.

I hope you know that is how racism has ALWAYS worked. People have always been willing to grant exception to their prejudice and hate. Hence, it has always been a group phenomenon, because people generally feel that the "black race" is inferior, but that such does not mean that there are not individual blacks, in their view, that are superior to a white person.

Old 05-10-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
rs why an Asian person can be Republican, its ALWAYS a white SJW type or a black or an unassimilated Hispanic who is into racial politics. Though in Louisiana even blacks don't question it since many Asians here are conservative and there have been a number of prominent Asian Republicans in South Louisiana.
Uh, a lot of Asian Americans are Republican, or traditionally were. Yep, even in big bad California. Depends on the group and the generation. Heck, Senator Hiram Fong of Hawaii was one. So was SI Hayakawa of California. In fact, as recently as 1992, more of them voted for GHW Bush than Bill Clinton.

And they vary by group. Folks like Vietnamese or Koreans who are very anti-communist in orientation tend to go for Republicans. Not unlike Cubans. Nancy Pelosi (yes, a Democrat) of San Francisco used to be known for her strong criticiques of the Chinese regime - because that plays well with her Chinatown constituents (which is kind of funny given that her neighbor and friend, Dianne Feinstein, is one of the most pro-China politicians in Congress).

But times have changed. Nationwide, about 70-73% of Asian Americans today lean Democratic. Not unlike Jewish American voters. The Vietnamese, like the Cubans, aren't as animated by emigre politics like the older generation used to be.

Last edited by silverkris; 05-10-2019 at 12:15 PM..

Old 05-10-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
That was an awesome video. The thing is, those black girls themselves wouldn't pass liberal muster in certain circles because they were eating Chick fil A. That CFA bag was clearly visible. Chick fil A is quite triggering to true leftists who support the LGBTQ community!

I'm an Asian American Republican and whenever someone wonders why an Asian person can be Republican, its ALWAYS a white SJW type or a black or an unassimilated Hispanic who is into racial politics. Though in Louisiana even blacks don't question it since many Asians here are conservative and there have been a number of prominent Asian Republicans in South Louisiana.

Yes New Orleans (the city, not the entire metro area) is an exception. And like I posted before its not like suburban Atlanta or suburban Houston where you have liberal transplants in the suburbs. The suburbs of NO are solidly Republican, perhaps not in the traditional Bible Belt kind of way (a lot of the rest of the state is this way) but at the very least in the Colorado Springs/Omaha/Des Moines kind of way. With our oil industry, government overregulation and the EPA are also major concerns. Rest assurred AOC and the Green New Deal are not popular here.
I live in the Atlanta area (outskirts of the metro area though). I don't hear about much complaining regarding Chick Fil A. I work in Downtown Atlanta. There is a Chick Fil A in one of the buildings. The line for Chick Fil A is always long. If there is any complaining about Chick Fil A, I haven't heard it, at least in the Atlanta area. If there are any Black people getting dirty looks from liberals for buying Chick Fil A, I'm not seeing it. I haven't gotten any dirty looks for that.

I'm Black American and I don't identify with Republicans. I did vote Republican once, in 2004. My very first time voting in a Presidential election. I haven't voted Republican ever again. I haven't seen many Republicans I could feel good about supporting, especially in Georgia. Maybe if I was in Ohio and it was John Kasich running for governor, I would have voted for him. Not Georgia though.

As for Asians voting Republican, I've run into a few Asians and persons of mixed Asian/White ethnicity who vote Republican. It was mostly persons of Vietnamese descent though. And it was always men. The subject of "why would an Asian vote Republican" has never come up. I've never heard of it. I have heard "why would a Black person vote Republican?", come up many times in Georgia. And the vast majority of times, it was a Black person asking that question. I've met far more Asians who vote Republican (though not many) than I have Blacks who vote Republican (Georgia has over 3 million Black Americans). While finding Asians who vote Republican isn't all that hard in Georgia, most of the politicians in GA who are Asian tend to be Democrats. I notice that even most assimilated Hispanics don't vote Republican. I've met a few Blacks who have very conservative views. Even a majority of Black conservatives won't vote Republican.

Here is the truth. In the South, race is a major factor in who people vote for. It's not the only part, and it isn't the rule for everyone. However, race still plays a big role. The South still has the scars of its slavery and Jim Crow legacy. Many people are going to have race-based politics because that is the legacy left behind. Blacks vote Democrat in huge numbers, a majority of Whites vote Republican. It is what it is. Some of it is trust factor. Some vote based on "I don't want my tax dollars going to 'those people' ". Some vote based on "Some people would love to see us go back to Jim Crow and we're not having it". Many people don't talk about it openly, but it is happening. It isn't just Blacks who think on a race-based mentality.

I have relatives in the Greater New Orleans area. New Orleans proper is liberal. So is Baton Rouge. Caddo Parish (Shreveport) has been leaning Democrat in the last few elections. Here is what is keeping Louisiana Republican. Very few people want to move to Louisiana. New Orleans has a reputation as being a fun place to visit, but a bad place to live. Louisiana in general has a reputation for being very corrupt, and being one of the poorest states in the USA. More people are moving to Minnesota, in spite of its cold winters.

Old 05-10-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
As for Asians voting Republican, I've run into a few Asians and persons of mixed Asian/White ethnicity who vote Republican. It was mostly persons of Vietnamese descent though. And it was always men. The subject of "why would an Asian vote Republican" has never come up. I've never heard of it. I have heard "why would a Black person vote Republican?", come up many times in Georgia. And the vast majority of times, it was a Black person asking that question. I've met far more Asians who vote Republican (though not many) than I have Blacks who vote Republican (Georgia has over 3 million Black Americans). While finding Asians who vote Republican isn't all that hard in Georgia, most of the politicians in GA who are Asian tend to be Democrats. I notice that even most assimilated Hispanics don't vote Republican. I've met a few Blacks who have very conservative views. Even a majority of Black conservatives won't vote Republican.
Like I've said, there has always been Asians who have voted Republican. I known lots around here in California. It's a mix of the traditional business oriented, with a bit of anti-Communism thrown in. Which is why a lot of Vietnamese will vote Republican. You'll find a lot of them in Orange County, CA.

But that was then...I've always thought for a long time that the Asian American vote was pretty much 50-50 towards the parties in allegiance - but it's now about 75% Democratic, overall - which has surprised me.

Some of that can be attributed to
1) generational changes - the anti-Communism thing is less of an issue with the younger generations - as you get more of a home-grown electorate
2) the Pete Wilson gambit of demonizing immigrants back in the 1990s - while that was mostly aimed at Latinos/Hispanics - it's not hard to see if you're Asian and from an immigrant background - how that can also be aimed at your group...kind of a follow on.

Old 05-10-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Uh, a lot of Asian Americans are Republican, or traditionally were. Yep, even in big bad California. Depends on the group and the generation. Heck, Senator Hiram Fong of Hawaii was one. So was SI Hayakawa of California. In fact, as recently as 1992, more of them voted for GHW Bush than Bill Clinton.

And they vary by group. Folks like Vietnamese or Koreans who are very anti-communist in orientation tend to go for Republicans. Not unlike Cubans. Nancy Pelosi (yes, a Democrat) of San Francisco used to be known for her strong criticiques of the Chinese regime - because that plays well with her Chinatown constituents (which is kind of funny given that her neighbor and friend, Dianne Feinstein, is one of the most pro-China politicians in Congress).

But times have changed. Nationwide, about 70-73% of Asian Americans today lean Democratic. Not unlike Jewish American voters. The Vietnamese, like the Cubans, aren't as animated by emigre politics like the older generation used to be.
Asians did vote Republican in large numbers at one time. That has changed. The question is why this has changed.

Cubans were often Republican voters in the old days (1970s though the 1990s). Miami has a Cuban-American Republican mayor, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_X._Suarez . In fact, over the last 25 years, Miami has had mainly Cuban-American, Republican mayors. However, that might change in the next few years.

Old 05-10-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Chick Fil-a is a Southern thing, and honestly it isnt all that great. its over priced decently cooked chicken. They offer quick service and force their employees to smile , because you will get fired if you dont.
I've tried CFA and it's kinda blah in taste...prefer KFC or Popeye's. Nothing to do with politics.

Old 05-10-2019, 12:56 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Gwinnett is a big focus. And I can see why. It is a big county with alot of people moving from all over. Large number of Hispanics and Asians have moved there. Alot of people from northern and western states have moved there. It has become the 2nd most populated county in Georgia. Gwinnett is 24% Black, 20% Hispanic, 11% Asian. I would say that the Non-Hispanic White population in Gwinnett is around 40%. It is a diverse county.

I would also look at the south and west sides of metro Atlanta. Clayton County turned majority Black around 2000. Henry County went from 14% Black in 2000 to 37% Black in 2010. It might become majority Black in 2020. Douglas County is likely already majority Black. It was 19% Black in 2000. In 2010 it was 40% Black. This was made very evident in 2008 when former President Obama carried Douglas County. From 1980 to 2004, Republicans reliably held Douglas County. In 2008, that came to an end. A surge in the Black population is a big contributor.

In 2016, former Douglas County chairman Tom Worthan was recorded making some racially incendiary comments.

https://www.ajc.com/news/local-govt-...jij3peheLma1H/

Excerpt from AJC:

Saying that in a county that is about 40-45% Black, it will be costly. And it cost Tom Worthan. He was up for re-election, and lost soundly.

Rockdale County is 45% Black and 40% White. The rapid demographic changes that took place in Clayton County, it is taking place for Rockdale, Douglas, and Henry counties. As more Blacks move out of Atlanta proper, and Black people from other states move to the Atlanta metro area, it will surprise some people. Now, it won't be especially surprising to people living in Georgia. Many who have seen rapid demographic changes have moved to other places.

The people who will be surprised live outside of Georgia. Those who live near the Atlanta area won't be especially surprised.
I don't agree with voting for someone who is black or having more black cops just to "reflect the demographics" or out of racial solidarity. People should be hired or voted for based on their qualifications.

Old 05-10-2019, 01:11 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
Republicans win a large share of the Asian American vote in Louisiana. Most are Vietnamese American though some are also of Chinese and Korean descent. We don't have a large Hispanic population though some white people have European Spanish ancestry from centuries ago from when Spain ruled this area. Most Mexican Americans here are assimilated while recent immigrants are typically illegal and our voter ID laws keep them from voting unlike other states. There have been more illegal Mexicans making their way here from Texas.

Many Asians here are also evangelical Christian or Catholic and are pro-life. While I"m conservative overall, both fiscally and socially, being pro-life is one of the most important issues for me. That can make or break a candidate for me for example there are some very moderate and pro-life candidates here who are Democrats that I would vote for over someone like John Kasich if it came to that, though down here on the local level all politicians tend to be pro-life unless you get into the heart of the most black Democrat base but they wouldn' have statewide appeal.

Unfortunately for many people in this area, the work setting is the only place where whites and blacks truly mix. I work in a diverse environment but it just turns out the vast majority of my friends are white. The only coworkers I'm friends with and socialize with outside of work are white or Asian and it just so happens this way. It seems many blacks are still into a very racial mindset and don't really want to integrate especially the more activist types or the kinds that go to HCBUs, etc. And obviously we don't talk politics on the job, though people do know I'm a Trump supporter if they know what car I drive. Its hard to have a conversation with a black person in real life about why they should vote for Trump and why Trump isn't racist.

And its not a Southern thing like people like to claim. I lived for a very long time in Baltimore County, Maryland and the Baltimore area is much the same in terms of race relations. That's the culture that gave us people like Sheila Dixon and Catherine Pugh and blacks in Maryland also vote on race VERY heavily and look at the state of affairs in Baltimore. Maryland also has a huge black subculture (seaprate from the ghetto culture) that doesn't want to mix with mainstream society. The same thing is true in other northern states as well.

Because ALL the attacks against Trump is about "racism" or "Sexism". The left is UNABLE to attack him based on his policies because his policies have been great for America and the left's proposals like the Green New Deal and Medicare for All are crazy and will destroy our economy and society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies