Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 07:46 PM
509 509 started this thread

6,321 posts, read 7,048,872 times

Advertisements

Bernie Sanders has posted his tax returns.

Here is the link to the PDF's of his returns.

https://berniesanders.com/tax-returns/

Interesting reading. I really would appreciate some comments from tax accountants on his return.

A couple of things I noticed......self-prepared. Really?? he has a six-figure plus income and he does his own tax returns!!! Wow.

He and his wife have several businesses that they have filed Schedule C returns. The returns I looked at showed INCOME for the small businesses but NO EXPENSES (one exception). How do you run a business without expenses???

There is very little investment income being generated. No investments outside of retirement accounts??

Speaking of retirement accounts...does he have any??? I don't see ANY MANDATORY minimum required distributions of retirement funds.

Anyway, would appreciate people looking at his returns and posting their comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 07:54 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,328,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post

Interesting reading. I really would appreciate some comments from tax accountants on his return.

A couple of things I noticed......self-prepared. Really?? he has a six-figure plus income and he does his own tax returns!!! Wow.

He and his wife have several businesses that they have filed Schedule C returns. The returns I looked at showed INCOME for the small businesses but NO EXPENSES (one exception). How do you run a business without expenses???

There is very little investment income being generated. No investments outside of retirement accounts??

Speaking of retirement accounts...does he have any??? I don't see ANY MANDATORY minimum required distributions of retirement funds.

Anyway, would appreciate people looking at his returns and posting their comments.
What fun is it if he's got nothing to hide and just gives it up like that? I don't think RMDs applies if you're still working.

Old 05-07-2019, 07:54 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,853,083 times
Opinion:

Bern me once shame on you.
Bern me twice shame on me.............................

need I say more................

Old 05-07-2019, 07:56 PM

30,372 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:

I have no interest in Berni, Trump or anyone else's tax return other than my own...to me people that want to know about other's tax returns are nosy busy bodies.

Old 05-07-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
What fun is it if he's got nothing to hide and just gives it up like that? I don't think RMDs applies if you're still working.
ONLY for your employer...and I am not sure of Federal government rules, but your employer can require you to take RMDs.

However, it does mean that neither him or his wife have a traditional IRA account. Or a 401 or deferred compensation plan from ANY job in the past.

That is pretty weird.

Old 05-07-2019, 08:03 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,967,503 times
with their money, they can structure their returns any way they like

Old 05-07-2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I have no interest in Berni, Trump or anyone else's tax return other than my own...to me people that want to know about other's tax returns are nosy busy bodies.
Trump said the reason he doesn't pay taxes is because he's smart during a debate with Clinton. My husband and I paid 35000 last year in payroll taxes on 140000. That ahole can pay his fair share on his 650 mill.

Old 05-07-2019, 08:06 PM

Let’s focus on Bernie Sanders returns....anybody looked at them yet??

Old 05-07-2019, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Let’s focus on Bernie Sanders returns....anybody looked at them yet??
Quote:
“These tax returns show that our family has been fortunate. I am very grateful for that, as I grew up in a family that lived paycheck to paycheck and I know the stress of economic insecurity. That is why I strive every day to ensure every American has the basic necessities of life, including a livable wage, decent housing, health care and retirement security.” Sanders said. “I consider paying more in taxes as my income rose to be both an obligation and an investment in our country. I will continue to fight to make our tax system more progressive so that our country has the resources to guarantee the American Dream to all people.”
That dang Bernie! He had an effective tax rate of 26% on 500000. That's surprising low for that kind of income. I suppose those once you break the SS barrier a persons rate drops.

Old 05-07-2019, 08:12 PM

2,068 posts, read 999,575 times
Required minimum withdrawals or required minimum distributions apply to all tax-deferred retirement accounts, including Traditional IRA's, Rollover IRA's, SEP Plans, 401k plans and 403b plans and are computed by the IRS. Failure to comply results in a 50% penalty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies