Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2019, 09:30 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Actually, it's not cheap. It's expensive. As I've said many times, a 13 ounce bag of chips costs $3.89 while a 1 pound bag of baby carrots costs $1.49.
Agreed. Baby carrots are even cheaper here at 99 cents a pound. A 10 ounce bag of Lays is 3.49. It pays to eat healthy. Granted it's not nearly as fun in the short term.

Last edited by Loveshiscountry; 05-13-2019 at 09:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 10:43 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
So what? Carrots are a good source of vitamin A but they have almost no protein.
A human eating a 100% protein diet will die.

Old 05-13-2019, 10:45 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
OMG

Old 05-13-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Agreed. Baby carrots are even cheaper here at 99 cents a pound. A 10 ounce bag of Lays is 3.49. It pays to eat healthy. Granted it's not nearly as fun in the short term.
There you go...

Old 05-13-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Quote:
OMG
Do you disagree?

Old 05-13-2019, 11:07 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Listen to all you arm chair nutritionists arguing over what adults unfortunate enough to have to seek assistance with purchasing food should be allowed to feed their children, carrots or lettuce.

Old 05-13-2019, 11:10 AM

8,168 posts, read 3,128,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I can do a pot of 15 bean chili, comes with seasonings add ground beef, for $5. It will make about 10 servings. I can have it ready in an InstaPot in under an hour, and most of that is cooking time, not prep.

It is also a great "garbage can" for any left over OR fresh veggies, or even canned. Expanding the nutrition and servings.

Much healthier for you than a highly processed lasagna.
Try to substitute the ground beef with fresh turkey burger some time. See what you think. You can get it ground in either the white or dark meat. It's even more healthier with the turkey meat and seriously you won't hardly taste the difference, if at all. The big difference is it won't get all that grease floating up to the top that you have to skim off. The chili won't be greasy inside either. That's the most noticeable difference you'll experience between beef and turkey.

I usually make a gallon and a half pot of chili a few times during colder winter months. I'm single so I can finish that off in an entire week. I will cook it on a Sunday and have it completely finished by the following Friday. I use all 100% fresh ingredients, except for the beans. I allow them to soak a while to soften them up. On average, that one pot of chili cost me roughly $50 in total, but again, depending on where you shop for the ingredients. I don't shop for food at places like Safeway, Costco, etc. I rather give my business to family owned mom and pop stores. Those tend to be a bit more pricy then the big box stores.

Old 05-13-2019, 11:19 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
Try to substitute the ground beef with fresh turkey burger some time. See what you think. You can get it ground in either the white or dark meat. It's even more healthier with the turkey meat and seriously you won't hardly taste the difference, if at all. The big difference is it won't get all that grease floating up to the top that you have to skim off. The chili won't be greasy inside either. That's the most noticeable difference you'll experience between beef and turkey.

I usually make a gallon and a half pot of chili a few times during colder winter months. I'm single so I can finish that off in an entire week. I will cook it on a Sunday and have it completely finished by the following Friday. I use all 100% fresh ingredients, except for the beans. I allow them to soak a while to soften them up. On average, that one pot of chili cost me roughly $50 in total, but again, depending on where you shop for the ingredients. I don't shop for food at places like Safeway, Costco, etc. I rather give my business to family owned mom and pop stores. Those tend to be a bit more pricy then the big box stores.
Oh yeah. I use ground turkey, but prefer chicken, or I make it vegetarian with squash. I usually make larb with ground turkey, in lettuce cups - that's a family favorite.

In our house we just rotate our proteins, chicken, pork, beef, tofu.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-13-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Well I am an Obama hater and I liked the effort.
Same here. I didn't like BO but I still thought the healthy school food move was good. However, it was destined to fail because those kids have grown accustom to eating nothing but junk food. Just because their school lunches are changed up, doesn't mean they will change their eating habits. Most of the healthy food the kids got was thrown out, not even eaten.

Old 05-13-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Pizza isn't empty calories, it has protein, iron, calcium and Vitamin D (especially if you get meat toppings); it just happens to also have fat and sodium, but that doesn't cancel out the nutrients it does have
Pizza is junk food. I'll eat it every great once in a while. But I "usually" only will eat it one of two ways. If I'm with friends, I'll order a vegetarian with all the vegies. If I'm having it by myself, I will get it with cheese, sauce and green basil only. But no matter either of those two ways I have it, I will always wake up in the middle of the night and have to drink a large glass of water. I'm guessing because the dough has a high content of sodium in it.

However, the best pizza I've ever had to date is from MidiCi Pizza. I will go with friends and we always get the Truffle & Vegetable. Out of this world and is the only pizza that doesn't make me thirsty throughout the night.

https://mymidici.com/menu/pizza/

Last edited by FC76-81; 05-13-2019 at 01:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies