Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 02:25 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,339,589 times

Advertisements

Many other countries-Asian ones in particular-are eating Americas lunch. The future isn't looking so bright for the kids of today and tomorrow. So what do we do? There's a lot that the youth of today are demanding. A lot of it is simply whining and entitlement "it's not fair" would-be wealth confiscation. But when it comes to education, their concerns have at least some merit.

It seems to me that in order for America to remain relevant and competitive as we approach the middle of the 21st century, we should be investing in our kids. Just probably not the same way they do, but hear me out.

To this end, I would support fully subsidizing college educations. Tuition. Supplies. A reasonable amount of room/board (this means a standard dorm room. Not a suite at the Four Seasons or that house on the beach). The whole kit and kaboodle. Every penny of it at zero cost to the students. Free and clear. Just like public elementary and high schools. But only within a specific set of guidelines.

1. The degree has to be in a relevant, marketable field. Think chemistry. Or engineering. Or computer programming. Or business. Or pretty much anything medical.

2. Soft subjects that are of no or slim, marginal value such as art, philosophy, or ethnic/gender studies would not be covered. You want to study those? You're on your own and have to pay out of pocket.

3. Students must be enrolled full time. Usually around 12 or more units at a time. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. Drop down below that threshold and you forfeit any further eligibility and must reimburse the school the full market value of whatever you received up to that point.

4. On that note, the regimen must be a continuous effort. That means a four year degree must be completed within four consecutive years. No taking a year off to satisfy your wanderlust to go backpacking in Europe. You do this-you also forfeit. You can do the "fun" stuff like that before or after. But not during.

5. You fail to meet minimum GPA standards or drop out, you forfeit the privilege and must reimburse whatever you received.

6. In the event of any failure, the debt cannot be discharged under any circumstances for any reason. Period. No exceptions. The lien would be attached directly to the person and their income taxes until it's paid. Much like a wage garnish.

7. Get the politics and quotas out of it. For any given school and semester, it's first come, first served until capacity is reached. Also based on entrance/SAT scores.

So basically if you stay focused and work on something that will be valuable later, as a taxpayer, I would fully support paying your higher education.

So where would the money for this come from? That would of course need to be worked out. I have no doubt that there's plenty of fat in the state and federal budgets that could (and should) be trimmed. But those are discussions for another day.

What say you on this basic premise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2019, 02:27 PM

45,251 posts, read 26,502,350 times
Central planning, no thanks.

Old 03-23-2019, 02:28 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,152,743 times
Where are you going to find professors that are willing to teach for free?

Old 03-23-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Central planning, no thanks.

Why not? You posted that awfully quickly. Did you bother to read what I had in mind or did you just respond to the subject and maybe first sentence?

Yes. what I propose is a freebie. But I don't see it that way. Lots of strings attached. As proposed, I see it as investment. Not as a subsidy per se. I get the whole "If I paid, YOU must pay" thing. But that's just myopic, spiteful thinking.

Let it go already.

I want to be comfortable in knowing that when I get into my 70's and 80's and beyond (if I live that long) to be confident that there's people out there who can keep things running.

Old 03-23-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Where are you going to find professors that are willing to teach for free?

They would be paid as State and/or Federal employees. Basically getting their paychecks from the same source that funds the education. If you think "vouchers", well okay.

Where do second and tenth grade teachers get their paychecks from? This would be the same concept.

Old 03-23-2019, 02:36 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,152,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
They would be paid as State and/or Federal employees. Basically getting their paychecks from the same source that funds the education. If you think "vouchers", well okay.

Where do second and tenth grade teachers get their paychecks from? This would be the same concept.
Why would free education need to be paid for? Isn't it free?

Old 03-23-2019, 02:36 PM

7,492 posts, read 6,276,099 times
Quote:
Many other countries-Asian ones in particular-are eating Americas lunch. The future isn't looking so bright for the kids of today and tomorrow. So what do we do? There's a lot that the youth of today are demanding. A lot of it is simply whining and entitlement "it's not fair" would-be wealth confiscation. But when it comes to education, their concerns have at least some merit.

It seems to me that in order for America to remain relevant and competitive as we approach the middle of the 21st century, we should be investing in our kids. Just probably not the same way they do, but hear me out.

To this end, I would support fully subsidizing college educations. Tuition. Supplies. A reasonable amount of room/board (this means a standard dorm room. Not a suite at the Four Seasons or that house on the beach). The whole kit and kaboodle. Every penny of it at zero cost to the students. Free and clear. Just like public elementary and high schools. But only within a specific set of guidelines.

1. The degree has to be in a relevant, marketable field. Think chemistry. Or engineering. Or computer programming. Or business. Or pretty much anything medical.

2. Soft subjects that are of no or slim, marginal value such as art, philosophy, or ethnic/gender studies would not be covered. You want to study those? You're on your own and have to pay out of pocket.

3. Students must be enrolled full time. Usually around 12 or more units at a time. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. Drop down below that threshold and you forfeit any further eligibility and must reimburse the school the full market value of whatever you received up to that point.

4. On that note, the regimen must be a continuous effort. That means a four year degree must be completed within four consecutive years. No taking a year off to satisfy your wanderlust to go backpacking in Europe. You do this-you also forfeit. You can do the "fun" stuff like that before or after. But not during.

5. You fail to meet minimum GPA standards or drop out, you forfeit the privilege and must reimburse whatever you received.

6. In the event of any failure, the debt cannot be discharged under any circumstances for any reason. Period. No exceptions. The lien would be attached directly to the person and their income taxes until it's paid. Much like a wage garnish.

7. Get the politics and quotas out of it. For any given school and semester, it's first come, first served until capacity is reached. Also based on entrance/SAT scores.

So basically if you stay focused and work on something that will be valuable later, as a taxpayer, I would fully support paying your higher education.

So where would the money for this come from? That would of course need to be worked out. I have no doubt that there's plenty of fat in the state and federal budgets that could (and should) be trimmed. But those are discussions for another day.

What say you on this basic premise?
Kinda sounds like the GI Bill. Of course that wasn't free.

Old 03-23-2019, 02:41 PM

24,542 posts, read 17,291,517 times
The affordability of college is a problem and something should be done but not all kids are college material and some degrees are nothing but fluff in the real world. We actually need trades people that can repairr things and we need less people that work in cubicles.

What parents need to do today is instill a pride in doing well in school and keep their kids motivated. There are too many kids that view school as a drag on their social game so they only go through the motions. There are also too many kids that ditch school thinking that they will make it bog in Sports/Music/Rap/Hollywood/Video Gaming etc etc..

I am related to kids that live in Ireland and have spoken with many from Eastern Europe and they are much like the Asian kids that the OP gives as an example in that education is number one in their lives because their parents had always stressed how important it is.

It all starts at home and providing free college is not going to do much for the student that has floated through high school because they will continue to just go through the motions.

We already have so many financial programs that help struggling students. I think a blanket free tuition would be wrong because call me old fashioned but I think people appreciate something more when they have to earn it.

Old 03-23-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Why not? You posted that awfully quickly. Did you bother to read what I had in mind or did you just respond to the subject and maybe first sentence?

Yes. what I propose is a freebie. But I don't see it that way. Lots of strings attached. As proposed, I see it as investment. Not as a subsidy per se. I get the whole "If I paid, YOU must pay" thing. But that's just myopic, spiteful thinking.

Let it go already.
Do you think things will go to pot if the govt doesnt do it? I say the opposite is more likely the case. Education needs just like every other are best decided on an individual level and not by some govt committee flying blind ordering people into disciplines of study.

Quote:
I want to be comfortable in knowing that when I get into my 70's and 80's and beyond (if I live that long) to be confident that there's people out there who can keep things running.
this is just an odd statement. How many businesses succesfully operate from open to close everyday and how many individual transactions take place every second of every day and all without some committee or govt agency ordering everyone around? We dont need the state to "keep things running"
Again, like everything else, education will order itself if left free to do so

Old 03-23-2019, 03:14 PM

Of course all of this ignores the fact that you have rob everyone to fund it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies