Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 11:31 PM

545 posts, read 515,174 times

Advertisements

People throwing in the towel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2019, 11:43 PM

2,087 posts, read 1,136,454 times
"I love white people, I have all of Burl Ives' records." Eddie Murphy.

Eat more beans and fruit!

Old 07-01-2019, 11:53 PM

1,333 posts, read 867,830 times
what difference does it make if you like 75 or to 86 ? with all due respect to our seniors i think we all agree that by 75 our best yrs are behind us

What I'm most concerned about ( as a non-white) is the alarming number of YOUNG WHITE MEN who are dying of suicide and substance abuse deaths

and we as a nation are not doing enough to identify the causes and trying to rectify them , this should be a national emergency and be given the HIGHEST priority with FREE mental health services to all those young men and with additional incentives to seek help.Vast swaths of rural america young white men have hardly any access to mental health services and still there is a HUGE stigma associatted with them.

We worry about threats ranging from russia ,iran, ww3, zombies, muslims, communists etc but what is most likely to kill your young white male relative is untreated depression and heroin/meth.
I wish we (people of all colors and ethnicities) identify that young white males SPECIFICALLY are a high risk group and should be targeted to help reduce suicide/overdose deaths.

Old 07-02-2019, 06:32 AM

21,769 posts, read 16,410,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
what difference does it make if you like 75 or to 86 ? with all due respect to our seniors i think we all agree that by 75 our best yrs are behind us

What I'm most concerned about ( as a non-white) is the alarming number of YOUNG WHITE MEN who are dying of suicide and substance abuse deaths

and we as a nation are not doing enough to identify the causes and trying to rectify them , this should be a national emergency and be given the HIGHEST priority with FREE mental health services to all those young men and with additional incentives to seek help.Vast swaths of rural america young white men have hardly any access to mental health services and still there is a HUGE stigma associatted with them.

We worry about threats ranging from russia ,iran, ww3, zombies, muslims, communists etc but what is most likely to kill your young white male relative is untreated depression and heroin/meth.
I wish we (people of all colors and ethnicities) identify that young white males SPECIFICALLY are a high risk group and should be targeted to help reduce suicide/overdose deaths.
No, “we” don’t all agree with your assessment of “best years”.

But sure, as to the rest of your plea, ... it’s all a damn shame.

Old 07-02-2019, 07:14 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,567,629 times
Oh man I'm screwed.

Old 07-02-2019, 07:17 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,164,225 times
I’m surprised many are not rejoicing over the statistics. The constant attacks on whites and the blaming of all ills on them has consequences. I would argue that homelessness, which is mostly men (white and black) is really mostly many men throwing in the towel. Society showed no concern over black males and now it’s white men. Our concern is now mainly for women so...

Old 07-02-2019, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I’m surprised many are not rejoicing over the statistics. The constant attacks on whites and the blaming of all ills on them has consequences. I would argue that homelessness, which is mostly men (white and black) is really mostly many men throwing in the towel. Society showed no concern over black males and now it’s white men. Our concern is now mainly for women so...
Hard to let them have their turn, eh? Tsk

Old 07-02-2019, 09:18 AM

14,366 posts, read 11,763,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Hard to let them have their turn, eh? Tsk
Yeah, tsk indeed. It's not okay to neglect men so that women can "have their turn." When are we going to learn that no group deserves extra help or privileges at the expense of others? We're all in it together.

Old 07-02-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Yeah, tsk indeed. It's not okay to neglect men so that women can "have their turn." When are we going to learn that no group deserves extra help or privileges at the expense of others? We're all in it together.
I don’t agree “we’re all in it together”, and neither does physical anthropology. Egalitarian troops of humans are only successful when limited to fewer than about 150 individuals (either sex / mixed) by natural design. You can look that up under “Dunbar’s Number”.

That said, since “we”, homo sapiens, insist on breaking the rules of nature to live in fantastically immense societies, we compensate, using our rational capacities. For this to work we are required to compensate for various past inequalities by applying constant adjustment. Right now, getting women equally positioned is a pretty useful process ... seeing how men haven’t proven uniquely apt at sanely advancing civilizations.

Btw: you don’t really believe men are being “neglected”, do you? Lol at the notion.

Old 07-02-2019, 09:49 AM

14,366 posts, read 11,763,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
That said, since “we”, homo sapiens, insist on breaking the rules of nature to live in fantastically immense societies, we compensate, using our rational capacities. For this to work we are required to compensate for various past inequalities by applying constant adjustment. Right now, getting women equally positioned is a pretty useful process ... seeing how men haven’t proven uniquely apt at sanely advancing civilizations.
No, I don't agree with this. I don't believe in extra help or privileges based on race, sex, gender, or whatever other division you can come up with. If "getting women equally positioned" means passing over more qualified men in favor of less qualified women, I'm against it. If "getting minorities equally positioned" means passing over more qualified white people in favor of less qualified minorities, I'm against that too. That is not being equal, it's giving unfair advantages.

And you end up with silliness like some people advocating voting for any female Presidential candidate who is put forth, just because "it's time we had a female President."

Fortunately there are still plenty of citizens who recognize that that is not true equality, and refuse to do any such thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies