Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2019, 06:21 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
More making stuff up. The science of a “baby”? What does that even mean? Week to week development? Who do you think made it possible for you to see that? Scientists.

Baby is not a scientific word, it delivers no information. Embryo, zygote, fetus, newborn etc all have specific meanings mostly related to age. But what we are talking about is what makes something alive. One of the key characteristics is the ability to maintain homeostasis something a fetus cannot do.

But even if you believe life begins at conception (a belief that makes most birth control abortifactants btw) logically it wouldn’t matter because we don’t force one perso to use their body to save the life of another person. Body autonomy is an absolute.
So the baby pops out of the vagina fully formed without being alive at all ever beforehand? How did it grow? Where did it come from? Since they aren't alive in the womb, what's the point of the abortion? Since nothing is growing or alive in the womb, well, there's nothing to get rid of, right?

Huh. Science. /faceplant/

[Orders 6th grad bio text with chapter on reproduction for lkb714]

Old 06-03-2019, 06:41 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,238,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I don't prescribe to pre-planned destiny. God gives us the will to choose right or wrong. But if you choose wrong instead of right then it's a sin and punishable by God. Where's the confusion?

What congregation are you speaking of? You lost me there.

In the case of murder it's against both God's law and man's law so what are you talking about? Doesn't that make man's law in direct harmony with God's law then? Should we ban murder because it's in tune with God's law/religion?
You may not believe in pre-destination, but many Christians do, including my mother. I don't suppose to know the mind of God, if indeed such exists.

As far as abortion being performed by the leader of the congregation, there is an Old Testament passage that clearly delineates the process by which a man may present his wife whom he suspects of infidelity to the leader of the congregation. Said leader performs a procedure with bitter waters that may confirm the infidelity of the wife. You may have heard of said passage.

I personally believe that the United States is a secular nation that does not require its citizens to adhere to religious laws or doctrines. Murder of a person who is not 100% contained within another person is illegal. Removal of tissue 100% contained within another person is considered to be within the bounds of privacy established in our secular Constitution.

If abortion is a sin and punishable by God, then why not let God deal with it Himself? Why get earthly authorities involved?

Old 06-03-2019, 07:27 PM

62,966 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
You may not believe in pre-destination, but many Christians do, including my mother. I don't suppose to know the mind of God, if indeed such exists.

As far as abortion being performed by the leader of the congregation, there is an Old Testament passage that clearly delineates the process by which a man may present his wife whom he suspects of infidelity to the leader of the congregation. Said leader performs a procedure with bitter waters that may confirm the infidelity of the wife. You may have heard of said passage.

I personally believe that the United States is a secular nation that does not require its citizens to adhere to religious laws or doctrines. Murder of a person who is not 100% contained within another person is illegal. Removal of tissue 100% contained within another person is considered to be within the bounds of privacy established in our secular Constitution.

If abortion is a sin and punishable by God, then why not let God deal with it Himself? Why get earthly authorities involved?
With the New Testament things were updated. At any rate, I never heard of the passage in the Old Testament you are referring to. Are you saying it was with God's approval?

My views on abortion aren't just based on my religious views. It's more like common sense to me not to kill your own child and compassion for the unborn who will never get to live life and the suffering they may have endured by being aborted. Just as it's common sense to me for it to be evil to kill a born, living person. Let's not make murder a crime anymore then let's just let God deal with it himself. See where I'm going with this? Removal of tissue?

Old 06-03-2019, 09:38 PM

37,108 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
I explained this in a previous post, it was 31 yrs ago and I am not sure why, but she for some reason was not on the pill.
Then why not use another method of birth control to prevent an "oops"? Condoms, maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
They just make shi$ up.
Good grief. It's a fact, not "made up". The source has been given multiple times but here it is again:

https://www.guttmacher.org/news-rele...th-they-became

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 06-03-2019 at 09:47 PM..

Old 06-03-2019, 11:57 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,103,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post

My views on abortion aren't just based on my religious views. It's more like common sense to me not to kill your own child and compassion for the unborn who will never get to live life and the suffering they may have endured by being aborted. Just as it's common sense to me for it to be evil to kill a born, living person. Let's not make murder a crime anymore then let's just let God deal with it himself. See where I'm going with this? Removal of tissue?
That's fine - for you. This is common sense to you, but it may not be for others. If you are claiming your right to determine what is evil and what is not, why would you not give that same self-determination to others?

Old 06-04-2019, 12:12 AM

8,893 posts, read 5,373,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I had a friend that had 3 kids young and her husband had a vastectomy. She was raped at 40 and became pregnant with twins. She aborted at 6 weeks. I would have done the same. No reason for her life to be ruined more than it was.
Why do you assume her life would have been ruined?

Old 06-04-2019, 06:43 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Why do you assume her life would have been ruined?
I think the logic is if you get an abortion the rape magically goes away and you go on with life as if nothing ever happened? Because well rape + baby killed = happy woman????? I don't know. I've never been able to figure that one out.

A 1996 study estimated that about 5% of rapes cause pregnancy (about 32,000). Of those pregnancies, 32% of the women keep their babies, 50% get abortions and 6% place the baby for adoption.

Almost one third KEEP the babies.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8765248

Old 06-04-2019, 06:47 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Lucky... having relations in a marital construct is "lucky". That's when it's supposed to happen.
Given that married women also have abortions, it’s not just about ones marital state.

Old 06-04-2019, 06:55 AM

62,966 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
That's fine - for you. This is common sense to you, but it may not be for others. If you are claiming your right to determine what is evil and what is not, why would you not give that same self-determination to others?
What's the difference between killing a live human being and an unborn human being? Are you saying that killing is ok with some people and not evil?

Old 06-04-2019, 06:57 AM

6,473 posts, read 6,679,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
She had the idiotic right to choose to have unprotected sex. Actions have consequences.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
I hope you think the guy she had sex with is just as much of an idiot.
And that's a huge part of the situation that far too often gets glossed over. Men are responsible for every pregnancy that occurs. Yet they are the ones saying women should just "keep their legs closed." Then why aren't they keeping their pants zipped? Oh, maybe its because men AND women enjoy sex.....but then somehow the women are to blame when pregnancy occurs.

I truly do wonder how women would respond to unplanned pregnancies if it were men who got pregnant. I suspect most of us would be a whole lot more compassionate. And I have no doubt that men would refuse to let women dictate what men could do with their pregnant bodies. No way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies