Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 09:06 AM

16,006 posts, read 7,059,800 times

Advertisements

At no other time has abortion been discussed openly and with vigor as it is now. I believe the state bans have made people realize the urgency of confronting the issue and engaging with it more honestly. No more euphemisms. It is not "choice", it is abortion that we are we are talking about.
It is a medical procedure that is performed by trained medical professionals in a safe place. The pregnant person is the one who is in charge of her body from conception to delivery and not politicians. it is her doctor that will advice her the full range of her options.
This right to safe and legal abortion is meaningless if every women, rich or poor, does not have equal access.
In all the discussions I have seen on City-Data I must say I am a bit surprised how much support there is for abortion to stay legal and safe.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:18 AM

16,912 posts, read 10,608,838 times
Abortion is health care in the sane way that slavery was property. Societal euphemisms don’t make an evil thing any less evil.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:20 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,881,435 times
the problem with abortion these days is that it has been far expanded from the original roe v wade ruling. this is the basic gist of the roe v wade ruling;

Quote:
Roe v. Wade, 410 U.S. 113 (1973),[1] was a landmark decision of the U.S. Supreme Court in which the Court ruled that the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution provides a fundamental "right to privacy" that protects a pregnant woman's liberty to choose whether or not to have an abortion. However, it ruled that this right is not absolute, and must be balanced against the government's interests in protecting women's health and protecting prenatal life.[2][3] The Court resolved this balancing test by tying state regulation of abortion to the three trimesters of pregnancy: the Court ruled that during the first trimester, governments could not prohibit abortions at all; during the second trimester, governments could require reasonable health regulations; during the third trimester, abortions could be prohibited entirely so long as the laws contained exceptions for cases when they were necessary to save the life or health of the mother.[4] Because the Court classified the right to choose to have an abortion as "fundamental", the decision required courts to evaluate challenged abortion laws under the "strict scrutiny" standard, the highest level of judicial review in the United States.[5]

if everyone stuck to the ruling, then there would be virtually no issue here. the problem comes when states pass laws to allow unrestricted second and third trimester abortions, and now ever post birth abortions.

personally i dont think abortion on demand should be available, but i have to accept the court ruling on the issue. but e should also follow the original ruling as well.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:25 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,964,394 times
What medical disease/illness does abortion treat?

Old 06-03-2019, 09:27 AM

16,006 posts, read 7,059,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Abortion is health care in the sane way that slavery was property. Societal euphemisms don’t make an evil thing any less evil.
These are not euphemisms. Slavery WAS property and IS evil.
Abortion IS health care, and it should be legal for all who need it. if it is not safe and legal women will die.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:28 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,821,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
the problem with abortion these days is that it has been far expanded from the original roe v wade ruling. this is the basic gist of the roe v wade ruling;

if everyone stuck to the ruling, then there would be virtually no issue here. the problem comes when states pass laws to allow unrestricted second and third trimester abortions, and now ever post birth abortions.

personally i dont think abortion on demand should be available, but i have to accept the court ruling on the issue. but e should also follow the original ruling as well.
No state is allowing abortion in the 3rd trimester other than for maternal health issues or non viability of the fetus. These are rare and done by only 3 doctors in the US and at great cost. No state allows post birth abortion despite what Fox News wants you to believe.

What about recent attempts by states (Ohio, Missouri, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi) to ban 1st trimester abortion? The 1st trimester runs through the 12th week of pregnancy and yet they passed laws to ban abortion at about 6 weeks. Is that not a direct violation of Roe v Wade?

21,382 posts, read 7,964,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
These are not euphemisms. Slavery WAS property and IS evil.
Abortion IS health care, and it should be legal for all who need it. if it is not safe and legal women will die.
What medical disease or illness does abortion treat?

8,196 posts, read 2,851,601 times
Quote:
Abortion is Healthcare
That's pretty shi*ty healthcare for the aborted unborn human.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:31 AM

5,992 posts, read 2,245,844 times
So is a face lift to get rid of a double chin and a boob job just to catch that rich old guy.
What are you going for here?

Old 06-03-2019, 09:31 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,849,618 times
Quote:
At no other time has abortion been discussed openly and with vigor as it is now. I believe the state bans have made people realize the urgency of confronting the issue and engaging with it more honestly. No more euphemisms. It is not "choice", it is abortion that we are we are talking about.
It is a medical procedure that is performed by trained medical professionals in a safe place. The pregnant person is the one who is in charge of her body from conception to delivery and not politicians. it is her doctor that will advice her the full range of her options.
This right to safe and legal abortion is meaningless if every women, rich or poor, does not have equal access.
In all the discussions I have seen on City-Data I must say I am a bit surprised how much support there is for abortion to stay legal and safe.

Let's not forget the unknown opinions of those who viewed the thread, and chose not to respond.

And polling reveals, as it always has, that extremes on either end of the abortion debate,
are NOT supported by the majority.
In addition, support wanes precipitously for late-term abortions--and is paltry for those used as a means of birth control.

So the debate will continue, especially when the envelope is pushed, as it has been, to include partial-birth abortions, and infanticide. Believe it.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/235469/...ion-views.aspx

And, interestingly, the majority of those polled consider abortion to be " morally wrong, regardless of their opinions on its legality.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/257858/...gn=syndication
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.