Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 09:41 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,227,282 times

Advertisements

Look at all the Leftists here bashing Trump for doing something about China's unfair trade practices, something Obama and all other previous presidents did not do anything about. If Trump didn't do this they'd be bashing him for not doing anything, but now that he is they are bashing him too. Is there anything Trump does that the Leftists don't attack?

I think its pretty safe to say that we can just ignore the Leftists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2019, 09:49 AM

3,405 posts, read 2,736,177 times
We need to better balance our trade situation, mainly with China. If the 25% tariff's make it feasible to bring the manufacturing of some items back to the USA and we can run a +/-balanced trade situation with other countries that's a win in my book.

I am disgusted with the left and their stance on this, this isn't political this is about money and our nations economic longevity. We're going to be heading down the same path as Greece if we don't do something.

Old 06-10-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
And this is good why?

Trump said those jobs would come back to the U.S.
It's good because that means China is hurting and this may make them come to an agreement sooner. Those jobs are leaving China for other locations including some coming back to the U.S. Without Trump, we'd continue to bleed jobs. Of course all this explaining is wasted on you Leftists because you only want to look to bash Trump.

Old 06-10-2019, 10:00 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
We need to better balance our trade situation, mainly with China. If the 25% tariff's make it feasible to bring the manufacturing of some items back to the USA and we can run a +/-balanced trade situation with other countries that's a win in my book.

I am disgusted with the left and their stance on this, this isn't political this is about money and our nations economic longevity. We're going to be heading down the same path as Greece if we don't do something.
As if "the left" were the group who opened up China, gave them Favored Nation Trading status and forced the Waltons to make 100's of billions from filling their shops (and the houses of most Americans) with the products made there.

Hint! They didn't. The Waltons were perhaps the #1 purveyors of Chinese goods and it is well know that they, along with other right wing founded corps (Home Depot, for example), FORCE their suppliers to go to China "or else".

Let's not be silly here. Most Americans support trade with China to this day. There is certainly not a left-right divide on this issue and, if there were, it would slant more to the Right (Waltons and friends). Heck, just a decade ago all my Rightie Friends were yapping at me about how Wad-Mart saves the average American so much money that we should praise them.

No, the only "anti-China" movement is the Loudmouth himself, who really isn't anti-China, just a Reality TV Show. When the family of the Senate Leader (who has been so forever) are TOP DOGS in Chinese billion dollar corporations it's really have for your FUD to be believed.

I suppose you think it's coincidence that McConnells wife is tied into the highest levels of the Chinese and Taiwanese government and business empires? And it's coincidence that Nixon opened up China to the modern trade with us.

And it's also coincidence that "China's MFN status was made permanent on December 27, 2001" - hmm, that was AFTER 9/11 and, if I am not wrong, GWB was in power.

The only question I have for you is whether you are intentionally trying to mislead people or whether you don't know the very basics of how we got here???

Working Americans didn't ask the Waltons to sell our their birthright (Sam had insisted on American made, but that went down the tubes).

Old 06-10-2019, 10:05 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
It's good because that means China is hurting and this may make them come to an agreement sooner. Those jobs are leaving China for other locations including some coming back to the U.S. Without Trump, we'd continue to bleed jobs. Of course all this explaining is wasted on you Leftists because you only want to look to bash Trump.
You are correct that it is wasted because it's simply not true in any big picture.

The "amount of jobs leaving China" that they aren't intentionally sending to lower cost countries, etc. isn't even a rounding error.

Of course, they are opening up US Plants in the South because they can pay workers less in wages and benefits. So some parts of the US are the "China of China". But they have been doing that for a long time. They didn't just build the Volvo plant last year!

"On September 25, 2015, Volvo Cars broke ground on its first US plant "

The only thing I can figure is that either you haven't been following things for decades.....or that you know the score but think blaming everything on "the left" is some kind of winning strategy.

"Free Trade" was the single largest talking point of the Right for the last couple of decades. Thousands of studies were produced by their think tanks showing us the benefits.

And now..because a guy who knows zero about economics spouts some BS, you have changed? I don't buy it.

Old 06-10-2019, 10:14 AM

26,500 posts, read 15,084,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Chinese Exporters Dodge Tariffs With Fake Made-in-Vietnam Labels

On bloomberg.com now...
Did you not include the actual link, because the article supports what the OP said? Vietnam is gaining and China is losing ground.

And...

Quote:
"Questionable shipments are likely to be a “relatively small” portion of China’s total exports to the U.S., said Rahul Kapoor, a senior analyst at Bloomberg Intelligence in Singapore. “There will always be leakages and work arounds to avoid tariffs, but we do not see it as a widespread phenomenon,” Kapoor said."
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...shipped-to-u-s

There are certainly downsides to these tariffs, but lets at least be honest.

Old 06-10-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
You are correct that it is wasted because it's simply not true in any big picture.

The "amount of jobs leaving China" that they aren't intentionally sending to lower cost countries, etc. isn't even a rounding error.

Of course, they are opening up US Plants in the South because they can pay workers less in wages and benefits. So some parts of the US are the "China of China". But they have been doing that for a long time. They didn't just build the Volvo plant last year!

"On September 25, 2015, Volvo Cars broke ground on its first US plant "

The only thing I can figure is that either you haven't been following things for decades.....or that you know the score but think blaming everything on "the left" is some kind of winning strategy.

"Free Trade" was the single largest talking point of the Right for the last couple of decades. Thousands of studies were produced by their think tanks showing us the benefits.

And now..because a guy who knows zero about economics spouts some BS, you have changed? I don't buy it.
Of course you don't buy it. You are a Trump hater. You are never going to buy it. You will always bash him, no matter what. Show me just one, yes one post out of your 14,000 posts that did not bash Trump. I am confident you won't find one.

The fact is that China went from a poor country to the richest country in the world (per GDP and other economic measures) in about 2 decades mostly at our expense. No one, not one single person in our country did anything about or is even thinking about doing anything about until Trump.

If left up to you Leftists and Democrats, nothing would continue to be done about it. At some point of no return, China would get so powerful and have such a monopoly on power that even should we try to do something about it, it would be too little too late.

Fortunately that time hasn't come yet and we still have some leverage with them. Thank god for sending Trump here just in the nick of time. Of course you Leftists don't care about any of this. You just hate him because he does not bow down to your liberal politically correctness and one of the few conservative leaders that have the courage to stand up to the attacks from the Leftists.

Old 06-10-2019, 10:53 AM

18,499 posts, read 9,164,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
A lot of people on this thread are looking at "small ideas". Geo-strategically, it makes absolute sense to "bust China at the kneecaps." For decades, we've allowed their ascendance with the (false) belief that they will reform. Now we have a nation that is nearly on the cusp of becoming the world's leading nation, showing absolutely zero sign of reform, and having the potential to upend a wrold order based around liberal, democratic values. For me, a scenario where the CCP will possibly become the world's leading decision making body is absolutely unacceptable, and it's high time that more people acknowledge the threat that China's potential ascendance poses.

The Chinese economy doesn't have to be destroyed, just stunted enough to let aging demographics take over.
Exactly.

Critics are correct that tariffs will not help bring back American manufacturing. Manufacturing is dead (as a source of good paying jobs). Nonetheless, it makes sense to prevent an authoritarian country like China from becoming the number one superpower. Let’s buy our cheap crap from small powerless nations like Vietnam and Mexico, not China.

Old 06-10-2019, 10:58 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,896,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Exactly.

Critics are correct that tariffs will not help bring back American manufacturing. Manufacturing is dead (as a source of good paying jobs). Nonetheless, it makes sense to prevent an authoritarian country like China from becoming the number one superpower. Let’s buy our cheap crap from small powerless nations like Vietnam and Mexico, not China.
In that case we should not have rejected TPP.

If China was the issue we would be a member.

Old 06-10-2019, 02:16 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,145,779 times
Trade War with China does not mean bringing job to U.S.

It aims for "decoupling" -- means that U.S. will be detached from the close economic relationship which China always implied like marriage.

While China reaps the economic benefit from the trade surplus and build up 1,000 missiles targeting at Japan, 2,000 missiles targeting at Taiwan, etc., should U.S. still provide the money to a potential adversary?

Vietnam is no doubt another Communist country. But at least it won't deploy missiles aiming at our allies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies