Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 02:58 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Simple enough. Don’t sell sex to men.

I don’t know why government needs to be involved here.
Sex was always made to be free of charge, huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 03:04 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Sex was always made to be free of charge, huh?
I thought women don’t want to be demeaned by selling sex.

Old 06-11-2019, 04:00 PM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
Good. Another way to remove people from the welfare roles and the unemployment line. If "sex work" is made legal, I would expect all applications for benefits to be denied until ALL LEGAL means of employment are exhausted and that includes sex work.

As a Libertarian I have no fondness for welfare. But as it stands now I am sure lots of prostitutes are getting public assistance. So making this all legal and taxable would end that.

Old 06-11-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Dancers work at an establishment which is regulated. Strip clubs can't just open anywhere. Plus that isn't really sex work, they can't even be touched.
Well that is not always the case by a long shot and a lot of the women in those clubs "freelance" outside of the clubs.

Old 06-11-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I'm ok with it on the condition that it's not something that needs regulation, ie: it's adults living their lives and that's all. Just don't start classifying it as "work" and making it seem like a legit field for people to get into or offer protections like we do for employees in other industries.

The problem is that it is work for these women. And not just the traditional street prostitutes but massage parlors and strip clubs. And often these Asian massage places have women there that are forced to work there to pay of getting into the country, etc.

So just saying now its legal and do nothing more benefits the street pimps and those running the massage parlors. It has to be more than that.

Old 06-11-2019, 04:29 PM

19,637 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I'm ok with it on the condition that it's not something that needs regulation, ie: it's adults living their lives and that's all. Just don't start classifying it as "work" and making it seem like a legit field for people to get into or offer protections like we do for employees in other industries.
That's one thing, either it is "work" and taxed or it is just people having sex. If it is a legal business for profit it should be regulated and taxed.

If it isn't regulated then it isn't really a legitimate job, it isn't "work" and no special protections will apply.

Old 06-11-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
That's one thing, either it is "work" and taxed or it is just people having sex. If it is a legal business for profit it should be regulated and taxed.

If it isn't regulated then it isn't really a legitimate job, it isn't "work" and no special protections will apply.

Exactly. In states where marijuana has been legalized its licensed and taxed. It would have been nightmare if drug dealers were suddenly allowed to sell drugs on the street without any oversight.

And I agree that the NY bill is weak in that it only decriminalizes sex work with provisions on it being illegal if minors or sex trafficking is involved. But there is nothing in the bill that addresses how to stop those things.

Old 06-11-2019, 04:55 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...511067151.html

I say do it. What two consenting adults do with their time and money should be their business. Tax it, license it and make sure no one under age or against their will is doing it. And get it off the streets. A win-win.
We don't agree on much but on this I am 100% on board.

Old 06-11-2019, 05:31 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Yeah, by all means let's legalize prossing: https://nypost.com/2019/06/11/bronx-...as-young-as-8/

Old 06-11-2019, 05:46 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Exactly. In states where marijuana has been legalized its licensed and taxed. It would have been nightmare if drug dealers were suddenly allowed to sell drugs on the street without any oversight.

And I agree that the NY bill is weak in that it only decriminalizes sex work with provisions on it being illegal if minors or sex trafficking is involved. But there is nothing in the bill that addresses how to stop those things.
Maybe because those laws protecting minors have already been on the book for decades?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies