Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who Won the Debate on 6/27/19?
Michael Bennet 1 1.16%
Joe Biden 3 3.49%
Pete Buttigieg 19 22.09%
Kirsten Gillibrand 0 0%
Kamala Harris 42 48.84%
John Hickenlooper 1 1.16%
Bernie Sanders 3 3.49%
Eric Swalwell 2 2.33%
Marianne Williamson 9 10.47%
Andrew Yang 6 6.98%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2019, 06:24 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,783,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Her Mother Is Indian, her Father is Jamaican.

So why does she refer to herself as African American?
Another lie for Kamala...trying to be another race...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2019, 06:58 AM

2,834 posts, read 2,298,972 times
I'm not sure this obsession with whether she is African American or not. There isn't a technical legal definition anyways. Who cares? The bigger concern should be what are her positions and messaging? It is there I get nervous as she has never run outside a heavily liberal electoral environment.

Barack Obama had a lot of moderate rhetoric in 08 "no other country in the world is my story possible" "no blue American or red America only the United States of America" and took steps to moderate his platform on immigration, healthcare, etc.

Kamala Harris seems to be in full on liberal activist mode. Maybe she can moderate and say something that cuts against the SF liberal branding, but I haven't seen a lot of that yet.

Old 06-30-2019, 07:21 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,744,556 times

https://pbs.twimg.com/card_img/11447...g&name=600x314

What's the most....you ever lost....in a coin toss?

Old 06-30-2019, 07:26 AM

34,258 posts, read 18,634,981 times
Kamala did kill it allright. She killed the Democrats' chances of beating Trump.

Last edited by Pilot1; 06-30-2019 at 07:35 AM..

Old 06-30-2019, 07:32 AM

17,403 posts, read 11,999,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Hmmm. And then there were those of us who worked jobs after school ...
What makes you think I didn't? In fact, the fact that I worked made it even less likely that I might connect with bused in students, since most after school jobs were done by kids in the neighborhood.

Old 06-30-2019, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
That may be. As I said: I’m waiting to see ... lotsa time ahead. What I do see so far with Kamala is executive strength and intelligent analysis and confidence. Critical qualities for the toughest leadership challenges. Very clear. Very impressive.

Question is: ‘Now, what are you going to do with it?’
I'm glad that's what you see. What I see is an intelligent opportunist, who is only out to further her own agenda. Her history shows me that.

Old 06-30-2019, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_The_Investor View Post
Wait... so because she comes from an educated, mixed race family (with an immigrant, black Jamaican father), she isn't "black?"

There is something incredibly pathetic about white folks trying to educate people on "blackness."

She is no less "black" than other West Indian people who often have Indian last names (e.g. Chanderpaul, Prasad, etc.). Hell, Guyana (which shares a significant part of their history and culture with Harris's Jamaican ancestors) has elected 3 Indo-Caribbean Prime Ministers and 1 Indo-Caribbean President. Feel free to go to Guyana and educate them on their "blackness."

Plus, her father has shared pictures of many of this paternal and maternal ancestors and they don't seem "admixed." Even if they did, it doesn't make her "not black." According to Ancestry.com, the average African American is 29% European.

So get out of here with that birtherist drivel.

P.S. Kamala has openly admitted (and openly regretted) her heritage of slavery and is yet calling for reparations to the documented descendants of slaves. This isn't an act of hypocrisy, its an act of accountability. The GOP could really learn from that.
If it were truly an act of accountability, she would add to her call for reparations. She'd be demanding that only families such as her own pay those reparations.

Let's at least be a little intellectually honest and call it what it is: pandering.

Old 06-30-2019, 08:32 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,573,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
I'm not sure this obsession with whether she is African American or not. There isn't a technical legal definition anyways. Who cares? The bigger concern should be what are her positions and messaging? It is there I get nervous as she has never run outside a heavily liberal electoral environment.

Barack Obama had a lot of moderate rhetoric in 08 "no other country in the world is my story possible" "no blue American or red America only the United States of America" and took steps to moderate his platform on immigration, healthcare, etc.

Kamala Harris seems to be in full on liberal activist mode. Maybe she can moderate and say something that cuts against the SF liberal branding, but I haven't seen a lot of that yet.
I can tell you where this obsession comes from - it comes from RW trolls. Just like the birther nonsense was devised to keep white people from voting for Obama - this whole 'she's not black enough' was created for ONE purpose. To dissuade black voters from voting for Kamala.

Period.

As such, you can expect to see it amplified many times here.

Old 06-30-2019, 08:56 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,071,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Kamala did kill it allright. She killed the Democrats' chances of beating Trump.
Exactly!!!

Old 06-30-2019, 08:58 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,897,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Lol...yeah, well we’re not quite as clever as Republicans when it comes to playing identity politics. You guys have the formula down cold.

You guys play the meanest game of identity politics on the globe, and you’re so good at it that you can do it without ever mentioning a single one of the identity categories. Repubs have perfected the dog whistle to a science.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Exactly! They will mask their identity politics under the “American” label and use the terms that speak directly to and about certain groups.

Identity politics will hurt Democrats more because they have a more intelligent base. They had better get it together quickly or they will lose the upcoming election.

you guys take the cake, the democrats INVENTED identity politics, as they have been parsing various groups into small pieces for decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies