Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 11:21 AM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times

Advertisements

I personally liked dodgeball as a kid, however I think those kinds of activities that depend upon physical coordination and existing power be severely de-emphasized in a general school PE program.

The problem with those kinds of activities is that the very kids who need physical strengthening the most instead get the least out of them. The kid who most needs PE gets put out the soonest and spends most of the time sitting on the bench.

I'd rather see them move to exercise programs instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 11:23 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
They play it at our church. My son is VERY good at dodging and is often lastish to be hit tho can only throw mediocre. IE if he plays his strong defense he does well. BUT... Eventually it is these two teen guys who always play together and if my son is on the other team... They throw missiles. Especially this one who can throw a curve that does not start curving until late. He can even throw it to curve UP!
Maybe your son was gonna invent the next great computer operating system...and then he gets hit in the head and loses 2 IQ points....and that is enough to make him incapable of such...

I guess some places wear head protection these days. If I was playing against guys older than 12 I'd want that. Some of those guys could throw real missiles!

I'm not sure either throwing or dodging are "life skills" that are as important these days as they were in the olden days.

Nothing is 100% safe but at the same time I am unlikely to want my kids or their kids to play tackle football after they are 11 years old or so. It's fun as heck.....but one good hit can have lifetime consequences.

I have a Canadian friend whose kid was intentionally hit in hockey when he was 10.....and he has TBI and the kids entire life is now messed.

Old 06-18-2019, 12:01 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
Dodgeball is dangerous as hell. I remember kids getting broken bones and concussions from it.

Old 06-18-2019, 12:04 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
We had 2 types of dodgeball (our gym teacher called it "warball" though)

old warball - the typical game where if you get hit, you are out and the last person standing wins

new warball - you don't get "out" if you get hit with a ball, the gym teacher sits in the middle with 2 counters and counts the number of hits each team gets.

the new warball was more popular and I remember kids had much less of a problem with it. the old warball was a way to shame people.
We did the new kind, and I think that was worse. There were kids who were crying and clearly just wanted out of the game, but teachers and classmates just screamed at them and forced them to stay in the game and get hit over and over. Those kids were always deliberately targeted too, and unfortunately they were always the ones who ended up getting seriously hurt.

Old 06-18-2019, 12:16 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I personally liked dodgeball as a kid, however I think those kinds of activities that depend upon physical coordination and existing power be severely de-emphasized in a general school PE program.

The problem with those kinds of activities is that the very kids who need physical strengthening the most instead get the least out of them. The kid who most needs PE gets put out the soonest and spends most of the time sitting on the bench.

I'd rather see them move to exercise programs instead.
We had both. Calisthenics then some form of game, dodgeball, vollyball, etc.
How coordinated and powerful must one be to throw and dodge a ball.

Old 06-18-2019, 12:35 PM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I agree, used to play it in grade school and was indeed terrible.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/dodg...qc_oACwaiPYkYs
yeah, I would put it in a class with boxing...only good for high testosterone males. I was good at both but didn't love it.

Old 06-18-2019, 12:41 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
yeah, I would put it in a class with boxing...only good for high testosterone males. I was good at both but didn't love it.
Have you seen some of the female boxers lately. There are a couple girls at my gsons gym that are pretty awesome.

Old 06-18-2019, 12:52 PM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Have you seen some of the female boxers lately. There are a couple girls at my gsons gym that are pretty awesome.
Good point, some are pretty high T themselves. I did go the HS with a girl that won state in the shot put and every time she was pitched to in softball, she hit a home run...she was very good at dodgeball too but I never boxed her.

Old 06-18-2019, 12:55 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Dodgeball is dangerous - a friend was badly inured while playing, and had to have his head amputated.

Old 06-18-2019, 01:03 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunspots View Post
Dodgeball is a stupid game to force kids to play. If idiots want to get hit in the face with a ball, no problem but gym teachers forcing kids to do it should be illegal. As you can see from some of the posts, dodgeball is a game that seems to be enjoyed only by cruel sociopaths. WTF is wrong with the posters that claim to have enjoyed hurting people, you are some sick mfers.

All I remember about dodgeball is how easy it was to get out of playing if you wanted to. When the game begins you simply get hit on purpose and your day is done. I had a few friends that would always gently toss the ball at each other so everyone could sit down and not have to deal with the mental midgets that treated it like an audition for Lord of the Flies or the prison yard.

Dodgeball was banned at my school after one of the most prolific bullies that really got off on hurting other kids by hitting them in the head with the ball when they weren't looking was stabbed in the parking lot.
maybe they should have banned stabbing, instead of dodgeball
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies