Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2019, 07:37 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
There are still victims of Jim Crow, or next of kin, still living. I'll list a few......

1) Families of lynch victims
2) Families of four little girls bombed in Birmingham. One survivor is near 70, has a lost eye, has PTSD and gets no type of compensation or healthcare
3) There was at least one survivor left, from Tulsa, 1921! She should've gotten something before passing, at 103!
4) Families of men who went through both Tuskegee and John Hopkins experiments
5) Folk who caught beatdowns being bused to another part of town, for school.

My mother came North because a white man decided to shortchange her and my late uncle's labor; promising a price for picking peanuts, and then reducing the offer after the job was finished. Her and my uncle couldn't go into any North Carolina court! That was the system folk were dealing with! My mother, to this day, does not want to go back Down South!

A friend of mine's mother is 93; lost her mother at age 12, because she had to go to a "Black hospital," 20 miles away, because a nearby "white hospital" wouldn't take her, for an emergency appendectomy.

Speaking of a long way, I was bit by my aunt's dog, at age 8, in the mid 70s, while staying with her in rural North Carolina. Had to go to the county hospital, 19 miles away. Thankfully, the incident happened to me during "integration," but I often wonder, if that was ten years earlier, would I have had access to the county hospital?

Jim Crow was real, and Jim Crow was recent! And there are still victims around!
Meanwhile the government was busy giving white families all sorts of benefits via social programs. Today the majority of whites are in denial when it comes to their own history. As a first generation born American, I have zero respect for their complaining and selective memory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2019, 07:38 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMartianChick View Post
It isn't just about slavery... There has been another century-and-a-half of US policies that perpetuated unfair practices that disproportionately affected the descendants of slaves. Sundown towns, redlining, lynchings, employment discrimination, wage inequities, poll taxes for voting, etc... All of these things were allowed to continue while African-Americans "supposedly" had the same rights as white people. This affects black people who are still on this earth and has been perpetrated by people who are still living.
OK, and exactly how much of that did you vote for, advocate on behalf for, lobby/support Congress or your local politicians for, etc? ow much racial discrimination have you actually practiced such that yu feel you are guilty of a crime and should pay a fine to absolve your guilt?

Just curious, since you speak of all these injustices, how much of this you actually participated in.

Old 06-21-2019, 07:39 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Are all Democratic candidates pushing for reparation..or are some pushing for a discussion of what that would mean...exploration.

I guess I have some work to do.

Old 06-21-2019, 07:40 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
As a first generation born American, I have zero respect for their complaining and selective memory.
That’s your right. Use it. Enjoy it. Spend your life writing ridiculously long missives on internet websites to complain about how bad your people have it. The fact that you have the time, ability, and freedom to do all these things makes your constant complaining somewhat ironic. But you go!

Old 06-21-2019, 07:42 AM

6,933 posts, read 2,390,775 times
Just more progressive INSANITY!

Old 06-21-2019, 07:43 AM

White Americans support welfare programs — but only for themselves, says new research
New study shows white Americans love government support programs — that is, if they're the beneficiaries

“The American middle class (predominantly white by definition) was created after World War II by way of federal programs like the VA, the FHA home programs and the G.I. Bill. This example of white welfare was one of the largest wealth-creation and intergenerational wealth-transfer programs in history. Again, African-Americans and other nonwhites were, for the most part, denied access to those opportunities.”

The majority of middle class whites are welfare babies. Why the complaining?

Old 06-21-2019, 07:43 AM

34,057 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
There are still victims of Jim Crow, or next of kin, still living. I'll list a few......

1) Families of lynch victims
2) Families of four little girls bombed in Birmingham. One survivor is near 70, has a lost eye, has PTSD and gets no type of compensation or healthcare
3) There was at least one survivor left, from Tulsa, 1921! She should've gotten something before passing, at 103!
4) Families of men who went through both Tuskegee and John Hopkins experiments
5) Folk who caught beatdowns being bused to another part of town, for school.

!
Families and next of kin are not victims.

I do agree some people are alive who were actual victims of Jim Crow. The same is true of the last few decades of Tuskegee. John Hopkins happened near the start of Tuskegee, so survivors are likely far fewer.

Old 06-21-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
That’s your right. Use it. Enjoy it. Spend your life writing ridiculously long missives on internet websites to complain about how bad your people have it. The fact that you have the time, ability, and freedom to do all these things makes your constant complaining somewhat ironic. But you go!
Hahaha! And who are my people? Idiotic assumptions again. I’ve done well as a first generation born American and am willing to contribute to reparations for African-Americans. YOU and yours are complaining about it. Not me!

Old 06-21-2019, 07:47 AM

34,057 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
. I’ve done well as a first generation born American and am willing to contribute to reparations for African-Americans.
I do feel you should be able to personally contribute as you wish as an individual as long as no government action mandates such "contribution". .

Old 06-21-2019, 07:49 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times
Quote:
Hahaha! And who are my people? Idiotic assumptions again. I’ve done well as a first generation born American and am willing to contribute to reparations for African-Americans. YOU and yours are complaining about it. Not me!
Perhaps you can point out what I’ve said specifically on the topic of reparations, rather than accuse me of idiotic assumptions while making your very own idiotic assumptions. I can wait while you do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies