Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2019, 04:41 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,090,187 times

Advertisements

Your folks obviously had to come to a place where there are people they do not like and a place that was filled with those people so it must have been a pretty terrible place they fled from.

You aren't very well informed on America's history if you think we were all on welfare and made America what it is whilst on welfare. Was that the revisionist garbage you were "taught" in school?

Do you really believe this country was built off the backs of slavery?

Last edited by Kavalier; 06-27-2019 at 04:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019, 05:08 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,177,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Your folks obviously had to come to a place where there are people they do not like (whites) and a place that was filled with those people so it must have been a pretty -----y place they fled from.

You aren't very well informed on America's history if you think we were all on welfare and made America what it is whilst on welfare. Was that the revisionist garbage you were "taught" in school?

Do you really believe this country was built off the backs of slavery?
LOLOL! Awwwww you’re so butthurt you had to leave pathetic comments on my page. Guess the truth hurts.

Apparently I struck a nerve. My family has no problem with whites. We are a pretty mixed family and the whites in our family are simply not like you. Why are you so angry?

Read the article posted. Nowhere did it state that ALL whites were welfare by that the majority of the white middle class was established via government social programs established in the 30s - largely racially exclusive programs.

http://inthesetimes.com/article/1989...lfare-new-deal

Whites, angered at blacks and immigrants receiving “government handouts,” forget they were lifted out of poverty through racially exclusive welfare programs in the 30s.

So the majority did not pull simply themselves up by their bootstraps. They received major help. So when they point fingers at other groups, they forget the fingers pointing back at them.

It’s sad that you think people hate you because the tell the truth. Quite sad.

And don’t worry about where we come from. It’s actually a decent place and we go back often. Plenty family still there. Don’t be so hateful. Hope you’re able to do the same with the place your ancestors came from.

This country was built off of all multigenerational Americans but slavery had a huge role to play. That’s a fact.

Again, no need to be so angry all the time.

Old 06-27-2019, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
LOLOL! Awwwww you’re so butthurt you had to leave pathetic comments on my page. Guess the truth hurts.

Apparently I struck a nerve. My family has no problem with whites. We are a pretty mixed family and the whites in our family are simply not like you. Why are you so angry?

Read the article posted. Nowhere did it state that ALL whites were welfare by that the majority of the white middle class was established via government social programs established in the 30s - largely racially exclusive programs.

How Today’s White Middle Class Was Made Possible By Welfare - In These Times

Whites, angered at blacks and immigrants receiving “government handouts,” forget they were lifted out of poverty through racially exclusive welfare programs in the 30s.

So the majority did not pull simply themselves up by their bootstraps. They received major help. So when they point fingers at other groups, they forget the fingers pointing back at them.

It’s sad that you think people hate you because the tell the truth. Quite sad.

And don’t worry about where we come from. It’s actually a decent place and we go back often. Plenty family still there. Don’t be so hateful. Hope you’re able to do the same with the place your ancestors came from.

This country was built off of all multigenerational Americans but slavery had a huge role to play. That’s a fact.

Again, no need to be so angry all the time.
I'm not angry. You are the one who has come off very vindictive here, sweetie.

So...if whites "benefited" off of welfare programs instituted in the 1930s, I guess they were sucking off of other whites, since the country from 1930 to 1970 was always right around 90% white.

Regarding this country being built off of slavery, it's such an atrocious falsehood that I'm embarrassed the liars who told you that got away with it.

Quote:
The United States and the United Kingdom and the rest would have become just as rich without the 250 years of unrequited toil. They have remained rich, observe, even after the peculiar institution was abolished, because their riches did not depend on its sinfulness.

To cast enslavement of some as requisite for the wealth of others is bad economics, then, and bad history.
https://reason.com/2018/07/19/slaver...ake-america-r/

Quote:
it may come as something of a surprise to find that, as already noted, the early historians of slavery judged it to have been a burden on the South’s economy rather than its strength.
https://www.the-american-interest.co...ilt-by-slaves/

Quote:
That final statistic combined with the North’s victory in the Civil War should be sufficient to dispel the idea that America was built on slavery.
https://www.intellectualtakeout.org/...-build-america

Old 06-27-2019, 05:41 AM

Quote:
I'm not angry. You are the one who has come off very vindictive here, sweetie.

So...if whites "benefited" off of welfare programs instituted in the 1930s, I guess they were sucking off of other whites, since the country from 1930 to 1970 was always right around 90% white.

Regarding this country being built off of slavery, it's such an atrocious falsehood that I'm embarrassed the liars who told you that got away with it.

https://reason.com/2018/07/19/slaver...ake-america-r/

https://www.the-american-interest.co...ilt-by-slaves/

https://www.intellectualtakeout.org/...-build-america
Nope. Nothing vindictive over here. Just pointing out the major hypocrisy. I provided the sources. No need to be so angry. Be honest about history.

As stated, the country was built off of all multigenerational Americans but slavery had a huge role to play.

Quote:
“Slavery continues to have an impact on America in the most basic economic sense,” Baptist told Here & Now’s Jeremy Hobson. “We don’t want to hear that at its root, the economic growth depends to a large extent on slavery.”
https://www.nhpr.org/post/without-sl...power#stream/0

Quote:
Nevertheless, slavery was indispensable to European development of the New World. It is inconceivable that European colonists could have settled and developed North and South America and the Caribbean without slave labor. Moreover, slave labor did produce the major consumer goods that were the basis of world trade during the eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries: coffee, cotton, rum, sugar, and tobacco.

In the pre-Civil War United States, a stronger case can be made that slavery played a critical role in economic development. One crop, slave-grown cotton, provided over half of all US export earnings. By 1840, the South grew 60 percent of the world's cotton and provided some 70 percent of the cotton consumed by the British textile industry. Thus slavery paid for a substantial share of the capital, iron, and manufactured goods that laid the basis for American economic growth.
https://www.gilderlehrman.org/conten...conomic-growth

Old 06-27-2019, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
slavery had a huge role to play.

l]
No it didn't. You've been misinformed.

Old 06-27-2019, 06:09 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,702,289 times
I don't believe reparations should be monetary.

However...

Was reading an interview with a Dem candidate. The article mentioned supporting another, Congress member I think, policy called the 10-20-30. Where 10 percent of investments are made to an area that is 20% in poverty for the last 30 year's.

Also need to do away with the death penalty, legalizing marijuana, and reforming the criminal justice system.

Also improve education funding and stop segregation within schools.

Old 06-27-2019, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post

However...

Was reading an interview with a Dem candidate. The article mentioned supporting another, Congress member I think, policy called the 10-20-30. Where 10 percent of investments are made to an area that is 20% in poverty for the last 30 year's.

Also need to do away with the death penalty, legalizing marijuana, and reforming the criminal justice system.

Agreed. Not in favor of handing people a check either. The above types of initiatives are more beneficial in the long run overall.

Old 06-27-2019, 08:15 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Was the crime epidemic lower or higher in black communities several generations ago, would you say?

Crime is lower in black America today than it was between the 1970s and 1990s....

Again, you all have a warped idea about black people.

ETA: You have expressed some pretty classically racist views of black people in your post in regards to you continuing to see us as inferior sorts of people based on some sort of inherent "laziness" or criminal tendencies.. Hopefully you are a thoughtful person and are open to examining your prejudices because nearly everything you posted in the last couple pages just wreaked of racism. Maybe you don't care but you should know that that is how you come across when you plainly state centuries old stereotypes and seem to believe that they are true when they aren't. I'll further note the idea that black people are lazy and stupid and criminally prone are all things that the wealthy white class made up in the 1700s to create "race" in America and drive wedges between Americans of the same income/working classes. Nothing that they created/made up about black people and our supposed "tendencies" was based in truth. Their goal was to not have a large unified population beneath them. Pushing the idea that whites were superior to all other "races" and that poor whites should not join with the other "races" for social and economic benefits based on "whiteness" is still a cultural idea in American society that many white people buy into. From your comments it would seem you are one of them, maybe subconsciously, I don't know but it seems that way. It is always mind boggling to me the false ideas that many white people have about black Americans in that they see us as a consistent demographic of ignorance and criminals who have "bad" families when none of those are true and most of what you stated in this thread about black people being "worse" today is proven wrong by white statisticians. That is always the funniest thing. If you actually reviewed crime rates from 1970-1990 versus today - you would see that crime rates in black America have decreased (as have all other demographics in regards to crime). You would also see that as out of wedlock birthrates increased in black America that education and income status rose while crime decreased. So none of what you stated is backed by your own statistics when you compare then to now. Poverty rates in and of themselves also would have shown you wrong if you reviewed them from the 1950s versus today.

Last edited by residinghere2007; 06-27-2019 at 08:25 AM..

Old 06-27-2019, 08:35 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post

However...

I do believe that people who were harmed physically or economically from 1915 to 1980 should be able to receive monetary compensation.

Many African Americans had land stolen from them during that time period. Many African Americans were lynched or their parents/grandparents and they had to flee their homes under threat of death. They were prevented from suing or seeking recompense by local, state, and federal government.

I'll note I watched the little committee they had on CSPAN last week via YouTube. It was a silly meeting in many ways IMO. But the main part that didn't get enough attention was the lawyer (a white man) from Oklahoma who represented survivors of the Tulsa "riots" in 1921 and the fact that OK (and various other states) prevented those people back then from suing for compensation due to statutes of limitations.

Alabama also comes to mind. I've shared that the famous "four little girls" who were killed by a bomb in Birmingham - there were actually 5 little girls hurt in that explosion. One of the girls survived and has some serious health issues. AL passed a law to create a fund for crime victims back in the 1980s and they purposefully didn't back date it to the 1960s so they would not have to cover the victims of the Civil Rights Movement.

IMO reparations programs MUST include the ability for victims of racial terrorism and economic lynching to be able to sue for recompense for their losses. It would provide the families some closure.

Too often people try to make it about slavery. As a black person, IMO slavery was not as damaging to our demographic as the era that followed it for 100 years. If our ancestors had the full protection of the law as citizens, which they should have had, then there would not be much of any "gaps" today between demographics like there are. Black America made GREAT strides during the Reconstruction era that were halted explicitly because governments that were supposed to protect the rights of citizens, ignored the rights of black citizens and condoned and supported the idea of white supremacy government and whites being allowed to obtain certain opportunities in this nation. A large amount of black people who were lynched or had their land or property stolen from them were black people who were financially successful or educated who had dared to step out of their "place" of inferiority.

IMO those still living, their children, and their grandchildren, should be able to sue for monetary compensation. Especially those who were physically/emotionally harmed, who descend from lynching victims, those who were falsely imprisoned, or had their land/property stolen.

Old 06-27-2019, 10:47 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,702,289 times
^^^ Sue I say no. It just be long days in Court. Look at individuals who land was taken from them by the Government due to negative racist motives and receive monetary value from that yes.

We have to heal and move forward. Past is past. Have to learn from the past. Look at the past see where society is stuck. We must fly, run, walk, and can't do that crawl to move us forward in society of peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies