Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 05:14 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
So Christians would be better off voting for Hillary Clinton?

You progs and your concern trolling.
Yes. There are other issues besides abortion and homosexuality, which ironically are two issues Jesus didn't even speak about. Of course, as a fundamentalist you will say anybody who doesn't prioritize those two issues over all others isn't a real Christian to begin with.

Old 06-26-2019, 05:15 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
You support Trump despite his 30 year history of being a sleazebag in every part of his life. And then you turn around and say "God" put this guy in office.

Donald Trump is and always has been the poster boy for a guy that is controlled by the devil and was on the road straight to hell.

Don't you realize that the devil is tricking you guys by putting in one of his minions? And you all are falling for it because "policies".

That old crafty devil. You Christians have always told us how smart and sneaky he was. Now we have proof.
I don't know what everyone else says.

God allowed Trump to be in office just like He allowed Obama to be in office, and everyone before that.

Donald Trump is a sinner just like every other single person on the face of the earth today. Nobody's perfect. Everyone has a scandal if you dig deep enough. Trump's are highlighted. Obama's were minimized. But they both have scandals. Both of them have also done some good things. Neither one of them is good enough for heaven on their own merits.

Nobody is tricking me. I don't believe Trump is a Christian. I wouldn't ask him to babysit my kids. But the policies are what affect me and my family. Sorry, from a policy perspective, it's a no brainer to me what side is better for Christianity.

Old 06-26-2019, 05:15 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times
Quote:

Last I checked, there were several Republican candidates in the 2016 primaries, whose views aligned closely with those of conservative Christians, who had solid records, AND who could have been palatable to moderates who don't identify as conservatives... in other words, who would have defeated Hillary Clinton resoundingly. Exhibit #1 is John Kasich. Why did Christian conservatives choose Trump over Kasich?

Old 06-26-2019, 05:17 PM

17,798 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:

No, Christians would have been better off by not demonstrating their complete hypocrisy and rejecting Trump based on his personal behavior and ethics.

Old 06-26-2019, 05:18 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Last I checked, there were several Republican candidates in the 2016 primaries, whose views aligned closely with those of conservative Christians, who had solid records, AND who could have been palatable to moderates who don't identify as conservatives... in other words, who would have defeated Hillary Clinton resoundingly. Exhibit #1 is John Kasich. Why did Christian conservatives choose Trump over Kasich?
Kasich wasn't strongly enough against marriage equality and abortion. He was seen as a moderate and a RINO.

The ironic thing is these Christian conservatives believe they have a divine mandate to police the sex lives of all 300 million Americans when they can't even control their own private parts.

https://apnews.com/f89cd9682c3b4fa6abf56aa1a496f2b3

Old 06-26-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
No, Christians would have been better off by not demonstrating their complete hypocrisy and rejecting Trump based on his personal behavior and ethics.
I'm interested in your line of thinking here... how would we be better off? Because you wouldn't call us hypocrites?

Old 06-26-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Giving up your principles for political power is accelerating the decline of Christianity in this country. You want to control everyone else's bodies and sex lives yet not a week or sometimes even day goes by without some kind of scandal involving a high-profile evangelical pastor or politician.

Unless you succeed in destroying American democracy and setting up a new system of government with the Bible as the supreme law of the land, people aren't going back to church and 1955 isn't coming back.
I'm not worried about the decline of Christianity... because it's going to happen simply because I believe it's on God's calendar to occur..

No - we don't want to control people's sex lives. We recognize that God actually knew what He was doing when He created men and women and think it's in the best interest of humanity for men and women to live accordance with His design.

When pastors or Christian leaders don't act like Christ... yes, it's does damage.

I'm not looking for the Bible to be the law of the land. The Bible is not a book of law. We are not OT Jews. Again - anytime we can live on God's principles, we would be better off. Ultimately, I would want people to choose that path on their own - but I understand that's unrealistic.

Old 06-26-2019, 06:30 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,143,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Not often I find myself inclined to pass along the words of Republicans, but these words seem worth consideration. Perhaps the book worth reading too. You think?

Peter Wehner served in three Republican White Houses.

"You know, we have had divisive and polarizing presidents in the past. What's different with Donald Trump, in my estimation, is several things, one of which is, I don't think we have ever had a president in American history who seems to take such delight in inflaming the body politic, a person who seems to get a kind of psychic satisfaction out of antipathy, creating antipathy, anger, and divisions.

He seems to thrive on that, and he keeps going back to it again and again and again. And I don't know that anyone has ever controlled the public conversation like Trump has. And the fact that he uses that bully pulpit to divide us is, in my estimation, a terrible thing that has to be corrected for politics to get better and for the country to get better."

So, when you look at Christian leaders, how do you explain their enthusiastic support for the president?

"I think, frankly, that, for some of them, there's the seduction of political power, that the idea that, if they are at all critical of Trump, they're going to lose access to that power, and they don't want to do that.

... the other thing that's important for some evangelical Christians, not all, is that precisely the thing that ought to bother them the most, which is the cruelty, the crudity, the dehumanization that characterizes Donald Trump, I think they not only are not troubled by it. I think, for some of them, they appreciate it, because they feel like, this guy will figuratively bring a gun to a knife fight.

And there's a tremendous amount of anger and frustration and grievances that Christians have felt, and they look at Donald Trump as someone who is going to fight for them. I think it's a huge mistake. I think it's led them to very dark places, but I think that's part of what's going on."

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/wi...-an-alarm-bell

The book is "The Death of Politics: How to Heal Our Frayed Republic After Trump."
That's interesting, because I quoted Wehner talking on PBS about Trump's dismal showing in France for the WWII ceremonies.

I'll add a link for the book, if I may:

https://www.harpercollins.com/978006...h-of-politics/

Old 06-26-2019, 06:52 PM

4,023 posts, read 1,443,036 times
This thread just seems like yet another episode of liberal group think where they work each other up into some frenzy that Christians are the center of all things evil and the world is somehow coming to an end because Trump is president. Some people did the same thing when Obama was president, and in both cases it is a false narrative. In reality, things are not much different today than they were two years ago except the economy is booming and we have utter complete gridlock in Congress (more than normal).

Old 06-26-2019, 07:43 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
This thread just seems like yet another episode of liberal group think where they work each other up into some frenzy that Christians are the center of all things evil and the world is somehow coming to an end because Trump is president. Some people did the same thing when Obama was president, and in both cases it is a false narrative. In reality, things are not much different today than they were two years ago except the economy is booming and we have utter complete gridlock in Congress (more than normal).
How is the economy booming? Lots of stores are struggling to keep open. Sears Hometown Stores are among the latest closing.

https://www.enidnews.com/news/busine...b2ba52528.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies