Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2019, 04:01 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times

Advertisements

Tell me that our government isn’t about saving corporate America’s arse over anything else.

I'm Not Willing to Do That": Trump Says He Won't Take Climate Action Because It Would Threaten Corporate Profits

Trump told reporters during a press conference Saturday morning that he is not ignoring the threat of the climate crisis, but he doesn't want to take action to confront the emergency because such a move would threaten corporate profits.

"So we have the best numbers that we've ever had recently," Trump said. "I'm not looking to put our companies out of business."

"I'm not looking to create a standard that is so high that we're going to lose 20-25 percent of our production. I'm not willing to do that," Trump continued. "We have the cleanest water we've ever had, we have the cleanest air—you saw the reports come out recently. We have the cleanest air we've ever had. But I'm not willing to sacrifice the tremendous power of what we've built up over a long period of time, and what I've enhanced and revived."

https://www.commondreams.org/news/20...would-threaten
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2019, 04:04 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Tell me that our government isn’t about saving corporate America’s arse over anything else.

I'm Not Willing to Do That": Trump Says He Won't Take Climate Action Because It Would Threaten Corporate Profits

Trump told reporters during a press conference Saturday morning that he is not ignoring the threat of the climate crisis, but he doesn't want to take action to confront the emergency because such a move would threaten corporate profits.

"So we have the best numbers that we've ever had recently," Trump said. "I'm not looking to put our companies out of business."

"I'm not looking to create a standard that is so high that we're going to lose 20-25 percent of our production. I'm not willing to do that," Trump continued. "We have the cleanest water we've ever had, we have the cleanest air—you saw the reports come out recently. We have the cleanest air we've ever had. But I'm not willing to sacrifice the tremendous power of what we've built up over a long period of time, and what I've enhanced and revived."

https://www.commondreams.org/news/20...would-threaten
A government that doesn’t protect the corporations is no government at all.

Corporations are just groups of people organized to work towards a common goal. You screw with corporations, you are screwing with all the people.

Again, Trump is right.

Old 06-30-2019, 04:07 PM

20,111 posts, read 9,023,728 times
Sounds like Trump has his head screwed on straight, the climate changes anyway with no help from us. Dems would put us in a depression to experiment.

Old 06-30-2019, 04:09 PM

4,603 posts, read 6,366,715 times
"Again, Trump is right."...yeah right, just like SCOTUS was right with the Citizens United decision...

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 06-30-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
A government that doesn’t protect the corporations is no government at all.

Corporations are just groups of people organized to work towards a common goal. You screw with corporations, you are screwing with all the people.

Again, Trump is right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Sounds like Trump has his head screwed on straight, the climate changes anyway with no help from us. Dems would put us in a depression to experiment.
So both of you are willing to say screw the planet even if in 20 years you have a mask to walk to your car?

Old 06-30-2019, 04:17 PM

57,296 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Trump is just making excuses, addressing climate change doesn't mean the end of corporations, Didn't he just give these companies a 15-20% tax break, seems they have some wiggle room. What are the specific threats to corporate profits if we address climate change.

Old 06-30-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Trump is just making excuses, addressing climate change doesn't mean the end of corporations, Didn't he just give these companies a 15-20% tax break, seems they have some wiggle room. What are the specific threats to corporate profits if we address climate change.
No harm to them but they end up having stricter standards put on them that cuts into their profits and cuts into the profits of elected officials.

Old 06-30-2019, 04:40 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
So both of you are willing to say screw the planet even if in 20 years you have a mask to walk to your car?
You would say screw the American people based on a completely false premise.

Old 06-30-2019, 04:51 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times
If the US were REALLY the problem, don't you think it would show up in American air quality standards? It doesn't, you know.
Blow up THIS MAP and see the real time air quality index. Observe that most of the US is just fine. There are problems in New York, California and some places around the Ohio Valley, but the rest of it is fine.
That cannot be said for the rest of the world.
So why are we Americans being asked to correct the problem in Europe, where it is bad, and China and India where measurements are awful?
https://waqi.info/#/c/31.045/20.444/2.9z

Old 06-30-2019, 05:03 PM

52,272 posts, read 52,700,922 times
I've worked in the HVAC business for 28 yrs now. I'm presently working as a consultant. We work for building owners and operators. We write reports on how to improve energy usage and ways to make buildings more "green", I'm very versed in this subject and when i see the things AOC says I just shudder at her utter utter lack of understanding of how things work. Her vision would destroy the US economy and is tremendously untenable in the time frames she's talking.

These things have to be rolled out in stages. This goes along with all engineering practices. Small steps.

As for the op, meh, Trump is a typical Republican type in this arena. Changes are required but need to be done in a fashion that doesn't kill businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies