Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2019, 10:25 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,650,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Nonsense.

Democrats hate the American Worker. It's been that way since Clinton & Joe Biden forced NAFTA on us all the way to Hillary saying she wants to put the coal industry out of business. Trump is the first President to do something about it. America appreciates it too. This speaks for itself.

The Republicans hate the American Worker even more. Republicans are quite strongly opposed to unions and raising the minimum wage. In Oklahoma, Republicans banned state cities from raising the minimum wage.

Many Republicans are also strongly opposed to legalizing marijuana in any form, even though it would provide many new jobs. So once again, make no doubt about it, whatsoever, Republicans feel hatred against the American worker even more. Only an uninformed fool could disagree.

34 Republican senators helped pass NAFTA. It would help enormously if you would quit voting for incumbents. It only encourages them when they win again. Legislators sure as heck aren't going to vote for a constitutional amendment to force term limits upon themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2019, 10:27 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,757,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Although the failure to recover is bad luck in many cases, I also think that in most cases, much of it is also due to bad choices.

I am 65. My husband and I lost our home and ALL our savings (all of which we had put into our home) in the 2008-09 crisis, when we were in our mid-50's, after my husband lost his job and we could not sell the house, which was still mortgaged, plus we had two teenagers still living at home. Before we lost the house and he was able to find another job, I even worked two jobs, including an overnight full-time job as a cashier and a part-time job during the day, while he collected unemployment while looking for work, but we still lost our home. Today, however, we have completely recovered, despite our ages -- and this, I am convinced, is because we were both raised with working/middle-class values.

We believed that achieving --and then recovering --our financial well-being was up to us, not the government. We have never gone on any kind of "welfare" at any time of our lives, we have always lived frugally, and -- most importantly -- we never gave up during the crisis and its aftermath. Although my husband was in his 50's, he continued to look for work and took whatever job he was offered, so long as it paid even one-third of what he was making before -- even if it mean that he was "underemployed" and underpaid. For five years after we lost our home, we lived in an apartment, we had just one car, and we saved everything we could until we could quality for a "fixer upper" kind of home in a good area. (The main reasons that we recovered as well as we have now is because my husband eventually got a VERY well-paying job, and the home we bought has doubled in value in the last five years.)

And also important to our recovery, I think, is that we have never felt the need for anything expensive. (For example, I just purchased seven tops on clearance for $3.00 each, and we make and pack our own coffee and lunches for work.) We did not splurge at all during the lean years from 2008-2011, and we have always done all that we could to economize when conditions warranted it.

Now, of course, some luck did play into this because we are both (knock wood) in very good health and because we didn't suffer any financial catastrophes after we lost our home. So, although it is true that in many cases, people are not able to do what we did due to poor health, family obligations, or many other reasons, I am convinced that it is also true that in many cases, people could improve their situation if they knew how to do that and if they were willing to make some big sacrifices. However, it seems to me that many younger people are not willing to make any big sacrifices and that many older people can't.

But what really makes me angry is that it seems to me that for the past dozen or so years, some of our government leaders and many liberal activists seem to be encouraging people to not depend on themselves and to find excuses for their lack of success, even in the cases where most of the blame falls on the down-on-their-luck people themselves and/or with their parents for not teaching them to have better (in my opinion) values.
You and your husband are my hero’s!

Old 07-05-2019, 10:28 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
She’s 25. She hasnt recovered from 2008 financial crisis.. when she was 14?
Fail
40% of Americans haven't recovered...and even many of the other 60% haven't........

But we (the upper classes) have a much larger pad. For example, the house that I bought in 2008 is worth the same or less than the (already discounted due to the recession) price I bought it for 11 years back. Fine with me, doesn't matter.

If one had 200K or 600K or 2M and loses 100K, they still have some left.

If, as was true for 40% of the population, you have a net worth less than 20K and you lose even 20K....you are dead broke or in debt.

It's quite simple.

Maybe you never did your homework about the Great Recession? Vast amounts of Real Estate aren't worth today what they were worth in 2006 or 2007.

Amazing how the same people who pray at the altar of GDP then turned into "hippies" in this thread and tell everyone else they are too materialistic. We should all expect to sacrifice so we can spend more trillions on war and tax cuts. That stuff is important.

Old 07-05-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
What is a lie and what is distorted?

Are you trying to claim that the "great economy" started in January 2017 when Trump entered office?

How silly would it be to claim such a thing?

The economy has not been great for the working class in many decades. Its designed that way. The more power the working class has, the less power Wall Street and the billionaire class have. Do you think the people who fund the political campaigns would accept such a thing? Of course not. Democracy is a threat to them, so are labor unions. Thats why they are absolutely not interested in handing over power to ordinary people without a fight.
It won't be much of a fight at all as long as voters insist upon keeping incumbents in office who serve Wall St. interests term after term.

Old 07-05-2019, 10:52 AM

4,511 posts, read 1,866,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
FALSE. That's not true unless the house is worth $1 million or more and there is no mortgage and/or HELOC owed on it. Net worth is assets minus liabilities. Mortgages and HELOcs are liabilities that must be subtracted from the value of the owned home.

The point is that the system is NOT rigged. 80% of US millionaires (in net worth... that is, assets minus liabilities) are first-generation wealthy. That wouldn't be possible if the system were "rigged."

11.8 million households in the US have a net worth of $1+ million. 80% of those, 9.44 million, are first-generation wealthy. That means their parents did NOT have a net worth of $1 million or more. How are those 9.44 million households accumulating that much net worth on their own? Seems to me if 9.44 million households can do it, so can anyone else who actually makes the effort.
I’m eagerly awaiting for some leftist moron to attempt explaining this away...

Old 07-05-2019, 11:01 AM

2,324 posts, read 2,908,083 times
Hell, there were a couple times where I wasnt able to pay my bills, and I'm sure a lot of us have been in that position at one time or another, unless you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth. I didnt lobby for a system where everything was given to me - -I worked my way out of it.

Right now there are more job openings than there are workers to fill them.

If you feel badly for people who cant pay their bills, then pay their bills for them out of your own pocket

Old 07-05-2019, 11:09 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The point is that the system is NOT rigged. 80% of US millionaires (in net worth... that is, assets minus liabilities) are first-generation wealthy..
So you are saying Zuck deserves every cent of his 80 Billion and shouldn't have to pay a penny more in taxes and should get more Trump tax cuts out of debt and deficits?

Or are you saying that if Zuck wasn't at HARVARD.....a place where the vast majority of the US young people will never get near, that he would have arisen out of Appalacia and created the 500+ Billion dollar company?

You have to be clear.

Oh, and no one is fooled by "millionaire". A million dollars in net worth isn't enough for a couple with two or three kids in many areas of the USA. Example - a 400K house in NJ isn't really too fancy, and 100K in cars and other assets...and then a total of 500K in IRA, banks, etc. - heck, this couple would have a hard time paying for college for their kids, let alone surviving in retirement.....

A millionaire is not the same as a Billionaire or a system that shakes out the top couple percent using test scores and puts them into the Universities where success is almost guaranteed.

The system is rigged in many ways. How about the nice boy in NJ who they now want to go light on for real RAPE - which he filmed and distributed and admitted (he labeled it as such) of a 16 year old? Would poor people get that break "he's got good grades and comes from a nice family"?

No. You buy justice in this country. That's rigged. Black unemployment is 2X white - that's rigged. Gerrymandering and the running of elections by a political party - that's rigged.

Tax cuts from debt and deficit that do to the top...that's rigged.

Lots of rigging going on. Either that or the 2/3 of Americans who say the country is headed in the wrong direction are plain wrong. You decide.

Old 07-05-2019, 11:14 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
I would support government provided landlines in exchange for some hours of real community service per month. Why do some people get for free what others have to pay for?

And there's no way I believe that even 1% of call or text activity using a government provided cellphone is work related.
So what if it’s not all work related.
Would a landline be any different?

Why does it have to be landlines?
Because that’s what you are used to?

Does a landline provide the functionality to fill out online applications?
Or search job sites?

If someone doesn’t have a computer at home and cannot get to a library to use their computers, how would a landline address this need?

As for people getting stuff for free, the original post I quoted talked about people paying their cell bills.
No one said anything about “free.”

Old 07-05-2019, 11:20 AM

4,511 posts, read 1,866,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
So you are saying Zuck deserves every cent of his 80 Billion and shouldn't have to pay a penny more in taxes and should get more Trump tax cuts out of debt and deficits?

Or are you saying that if Zuck wasn't at HARVARD.....a place where the vast majority of the US young people will never get near, that he would have arisen out of Appalacia and created the 500+ Billion dollar company?

You have to be clear.

Oh, and no one is fooled by "millionaire". A million dollars in net worth isn't enough for a couple with two or three kids in many areas of the USA. Example - a 400K house in NJ isn't really too fancy, and 100K in cars and other assets...and then a total of 500K in IRA, banks, etc. - heck, this couple would have a hard time paying for college for their kids, let alone surviving in retirement.....

A millionaire is not the same as a Billionaire or a system that shakes out the top couple percent using test scores and puts them into the Universities where success is almost guaranteed.

The system is rigged in many ways. How about the nice boy in NJ who they now want to go light on for real RAPE - which he filmed and distributed and admitted (he labeled it as such) of a 16 year old? Would poor people get that break "he's got good grades and comes from a nice family"?

No. You buy justice in this country. That's rigged. Black unemployment is 2X white - that's rigged. Gerrymandering and the running of elections by a political party - that's rigged.

Tax cuts from debt and deficit that do to the top...that's rigged.

Lots of rigging going on. Either that or the 2/3 of Americans who say the country is headed in the wrong direction are plain wrong. You decide.
If the system is supposedly rigged, it should have prevented Zuckerberg’s rise to success as he was not a descendant of this boogeyman “ruling class”

In fact, he only proves that nothing is “rigged” and that someone who can execute a good idea is still capable of limitless success.

Old 07-05-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
If the system is supposedly rigged, it should have prevented Zuckerberg’s rise to success as he was not a descendant of this boogeyman “ruling class”

In fact, he only proves that nothing is “rigged” and that someone who can execute a good idea is still capable of limitless success.
Some do, among them the upper 10%, but the majority of us aren't brilliant enough to come up with a hit invention or new service that many people must have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies