Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 01:01 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,102,284 times

Advertisements

As I understand it, the Census Bureau has already started printing the forms without this question. But Trump is saying he will find a way. Maybe that means he just can't find a way to admit defeat. I'll be interested as to what he comes up with, but I suspect that he will let the issue fade away. To do otherwise may raise Constitutional issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2019, 03:09 PM

8,555 posts, read 10,978,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
As I understand it, the Census Bureau has already started printing the forms without this question. But Trump is saying he will find a way. Maybe that means he just can't find a way to admit defeat. I'll be interested as to what he comes up with, but I suspect that he will let the issue fade away. To do otherwise may raise Constitutional issues.
Speaking of a "constitutional issue", here is the exact text written in the constitution regarding the census, and the duty of the commerce secretary regarding the census.

"In order to apportion congressional representatives among the States,
the Constitution requires an “Enumeration” of the population every
10 years, to be made “in such Manner” as Congress “shall by Law direct,” Art. I, §2, cl. 3; Amdt. 14, §2. In the Census Act, Congress delegated to the Secretary of Commerce the task of conducting the decennial census in such form and content as he may determine.”

Now, if the commerce secretary deem the census contain the question about citizen, he has the legal authority to do so, per the constitution.
Again, this issue has no standing in any court, it has already been decided by the constitution.

Bob.

Old 07-05-2019, 03:14 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
You don't think he would hesitate to stop the presses with a new version? You think he cares about any cost involved? He'll fight to get his way by hook or by crook. He doesn't know the meaning of fair play or the rule of law because he's always just ignored or paid off anyone who gets in his way.

Old 07-05-2019, 03:18 PM

10,234 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
This is more of a legal question than a political one: if the 2000 U.S. Census includes a question about citizenship, what will happen if I don't fill out that one question?

Just for the record, I am a citizen and the government is already aware of that.
If you fill in your birthplace as Akron, Ohio, or San Juan, Puerto Rico, it is not necessary to answer if you are a US Citizen.

Old 07-05-2019, 03:52 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
If you refuse to give out the information or you deliberately give inaccurate information, you can be in legal trouble. According to United States Code, Title 13 (Census), Chapter 7 (Offenses and Penalties), SubChapter II, if you're over 18 and refuse to answer all or part of the Census, you can be fined up to $100. If you give false answers, you're subject to a fine of up to $500. If you offer suggestions or information with the "intent to cause inaccurate enumeration of population," you are subject to a fine of up to $1,000, up to a year in prison, or both. Here's the official verbiage:

https://people.howstuffworks.com/question345.htm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I have always been, shall we say, selective about what I answer. The government has the right to know how many people live in what residence. That information is required for assigning representation and electoral votes. As far as knowing what race is there, what the income level is or what a person's ancestry or job is-none of that is relevant, nor anyone's business. Aside from that-they long since know anyway. Citizenship-yes, since ONLY US CITIZENS are able to vote in national elections.

toyman is right. the only questions that are required that one answer on the census is how many people live in the house in question. everything else is considered private information and thus not necessary to be produced. if the government threatens to go after you, you just file on fourth amendment grounds, and that the law WLG noted is unconstitutional.

Old 07-05-2019, 04:16 PM

15,840 posts, read 6,543,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
The 2000 Census DID have that exact question. How did you answer it in 2000?

Article from January 2010 ....

“It appears that this is the first census to omit this inquiry. Question 13 of the 2000 census form specifically asked the following.:

Is this person a CITIZEN of the United States?

-Yes, born in the United States—>Skip to 15a

-Yes, born in Puerto Rico, Guam, the U.S. Virgin Islands, or Northern Marianas

-Yes, born abroad of American parent or parents

-Yes, a U.S. citizen by naturalization

-No, not a citizen of the United States”

https://m.washingtontimes.com/blog/w...-asked-census/

I think that was only asked on the long form, which I never received.

Old 07-05-2019, 04:44 PM

19,721 posts, read 10,124,301 times
I am 71 and have never had a census taker come to my house. Even the years 1980 and 1990 when my wife worked for the census in another town, we did not have one come to our house.

Old 07-05-2019, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Speaking of a "constitutional issue", here is the exact text written in the constitution regarding the census, and the duty of the commerce secretary regarding the census.

"In order to apportion congressional representatives among the States,
the Constitution requires an “Enumeration” of the population every
10 years, to be made “in such Manner” as Congress “shall by Law direct,” Art. I, §2, cl. 3; Amdt. 14, §2. In the Census Act, Congress delegated to the Secretary of Commerce the task of conducting the decennial census in such form and content as he may determine.”

Now, if the commerce secretary deem the census contain the question about citizen, he has the legal authority to do so, per the constitution.
Again, this issue has no standing in any court, it has already been decided by the constitution.

Bob.
Bob, I see what you are saying, but YOU do not have the standing to say what has standing. You are not (I assume) a Supreme Court Justice. If the courts rule on this, I would think they are saying, by default, that the question is more complex than you are describing.

Old 07-05-2019, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I am 71 and have never had a census taker come to my house. Even the years 1980 and 1990 when my wife worked for the census in another town, we did not have one come to our house.
I actually remember a census taker appearing at my door when I was a child. I think that must have been in 1960. But since then, I have always gotten it through the mail. I have never received the long form.

Old 07-05-2019, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
toyman is right. the only questions that are required that one answer on the census is how many people live in the house in question. everything else is considered private information and thus not necessary to be produced. if the government threatens to go after you, you just file on fourth amendment grounds, and that the law WLG noted is unconstitutional.
"Considered" by whom? I am wondering how you know this. Is there a federal law that says you only are compelled to answer that one question? Or has there been a court ruling?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies