Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support the Death Penalty?
Yes, and it should be expanded 55 42.64%
Yes, and it is about right where it should be 19 14.73%
Yes, but it should be reduced 8 6.20%
No, I generally oppose it 47 36.43%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 04:16 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by remco67 View Post
I pretty much agree with this, although not with the quick push. They should certainly get a fair trial. But if we have absolute evidence. DNA, Video, etc. it only places a burden and risk to the rest of society by keeping such a person around. They have nothing to lose by attempting to hurt others while in prison and the money spent on them could be spent helping keep others from making the same bad choices.

There is also the fact that way to many people have been shown to be innocent after years in prison. How many have died because of our urge for vengeance. Blackstone wrote "it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer" this is sometimes hard to swallow until you think about the "one" especially if its YOU.
And that is why our criminal laws are based on the "presumption of innocence" - the founders also believed that. It's a very basic way to rein in the power of government.

At some point, and I believe that capital punishment IS that point, who we are as a people becomes at least as much an issue as who the accused is.

There's never been a time when criminals didn't exist. That tells us something about human nature. A society's reaction to criminals also tells us something about human nature. We simply don't burn people alive or have them drawn and quartered anymore. No matter how awful their crimes.

Old 07-08-2019, 04:30 PM

1,349 posts, read 663,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post

Some seem to care MORE about the killer, then the killed and their families.
It's not about the killer.

Society is about what you do with killers. I say : not get down to that level, otherwise you're no better.

Death penalty is worse in a sense : it is a carefullly planned murder of a helpless human being : ie not manslaughter, just plain murder, supported by "loving" persons.

They did worse. Yes. Should you ? Or do you want to stoop to that level ?

Maybe just for revenge ?

If so, well, nothing to add.

It says much more about you than about the killer.

Old 07-08-2019, 04:49 PM

1,349 posts, read 663,816 times
https://youtu.be/G6bnOMxP3Oc

https://www.aclunc.org/article/famil...-death-penalty

Old 07-08-2019, 05:12 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,036,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I’d be fine with it if it were administered fairly and prosecutorial misconduct wasn’t so bad.
this ^^^

Old 07-08-2019, 07:55 PM

4,559 posts, read 1,436,942 times
Capitol punishment for treason. Only. Crimes against the citizenry ...like treason, only.

Old 07-08-2019, 11:49 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,187,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personne View Post
It's not about the killer.

Society is about what you do with killers. I say : not get down to that level, otherwise you're no better.

Death penalty is worse in a sense : it is a carefullly planned murder of a helpless human being : ie not manslaughter, just plain murder, supported by "loving" persons.

They did worse. Yes. Should you ? Or do you want to stoop to that level ?

Maybe just for revenge ?

If so, well, nothing to add.

It says much more about you than about the killer.

What a load of weak, morally superior wanna be, horse**t. So when 3 thugs attack and brutally cut out a baby ( happened a month ago) from a pregnant woman's belly....in a blood soaked, evil and horrific act...u say just tuck them away in prison with 3 hots and a cot...with some commissary and tv. I say fry the bastards.

Last edited by folkguitarist555; 07-08-2019 at 11:59 PM..

Old 07-09-2019, 12:01 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folkguitarist555 View Post
What a load of weak, morally superior wanna be, horse**t. So when 3 thugs attack and brutally cut out a baby ( happened a month ago) from a pregnant woman's belly....in a blood soaked, evil and horrific act...u say just tuck them away in prison with 3 hots and a cot...with some commissary and tv. I say fry the bastards.
I have a feeling that if people wanted to fry you, your opinion might change......

Old 07-09-2019, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I have a feeling that if people wanted to fry you, your opinion might change......
So instead u feel sympathy for the killers of the pregnant women whose belly was cut open and the baby yanked out while the victim was alive? A bloody, and horrible ending to a beautiful life taken.. while bearing a child. Would you like to bake them a cake?? Do you always stand up for murderous baby killers?? You are angry that I expressed my desire to see those savages burn? Tells me that you feel sympathy for the killers and are defending them. This would be in the same vein of women who write love letters to serial killers. Deep rooted form of psychosis for sure.

Last edited by folkguitarist555; 07-09-2019 at 12:13 AM..

Old 07-09-2019, 12:23 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folkguitarist555 View Post
So instead u feel sympathy for the killers of the pregnant women whose belly was cut open and the baby yanked out while the victim was alive? A bloody, and horrible ending to a beautiful life taken.. while bearing a child. Would you like to bake them a cake?? Do you always stand up for murderous baby killers?? You are angry that I expressed my desire to see those savages burn? Tells me that you feel sympathy for the killers and are defending them. This would be in the same vein of women who write love letters to serial killers. Deep rooted form of psychosis for sure.
No. You missed two points in my statement...

A. Vengeance doesn't bring the victim back or "make things right" if the victim is still alive. That doesn't mean punishment shouldn't be meted, it just means that something as savage as execution shouldn't be on the table. This isn't Saudi Arabia ffs

B. You wouldn't be so quick to want a punishment that could happen to you if you got on the wrong side of the law that was as savage as torture or execution. I know I wouldn't.

A final take away, seems you have a lot of hatred and anger in you, you might want to get that checked out (being serious)

Old 07-09-2019, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
No. You missed two points in my statement...

A. Vengeance doesn't bring the victim back or "make things right" if the victim is still alive. That doesn't mean punishment shouldn't be meted, it just means that something as savage as execution shouldn't be on the table. This isn't Saudi Arabia ffs

B. You wouldn't be so quick to want a punishment that could happen to you if you got on the wrong side of the law that was as savage as torture or execution. I know I wouldn't.

A final take away, seems you have a lot of hatred and anger in you, you might want to get that checked out (being serious)
Yep I hate child killers. You don't. If I harbor anger for child killers, then so be it. You talk about the death penalty being savage...yet strangely refuse to see the savagery in the crime committed. A beautiful life snuffed out and her child ripped out her stomach and this draws zero emotion from you? No outrage for a child's life lost? You are a cold, black hearted soul indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies