Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support the Death Penalty?
Yes, and it should be expanded 55 42.64%
Yes, and it is about right where it should be 19 14.73%
Yes, but it should be reduced 8 6.20%
No, I generally oppose it 47 36.43%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 05:57 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,401,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Obvious cases... they should be put to death in under a month.

Ft.Hood shooter
Dylan Roof
Indeed. There are some people that should get executed very soon!

Old 07-07-2019, 06:53 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Only the criminal can rehabilitate.
Rehabilitation can only occur when all of the following have been accomplished:

1. The criminal confesses the crime in its entirety truthfully; and
2. The criminal admits that what s/he did was wrong; and
3. The criminal accepts and professes 100% blame and 100% responsibility for the crime; and
4. The criminal voluntarily offers restitution to the victim(s) of his/her crime(s); and
5. The criminal voluntarily apologizes to the victim(s); and
6. The criminal undertakes to never commit another crime.
7. And finally the criminal never commits another crime.
You wanna know why a lot of people aren't paroled?

Because they refuse to confess to the crime in its entirety, or they partially confess or they down-play their role in the crime or they blame the victim or other people or they refuse to apologize.
That shows a lack of knowledge on your part. How could we ever be guaranteed that any offender would 'never commit another crime? Accepts 100% responsibility? What if they weren't 100% responsible? And the term "rehabilitation" is a verb and refers to the process of helping a person to readapt to society.

Old 07-07-2019, 06:58 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
I'm for the death penalty when the crimes are so heinous that life in prison would be a joke. I also know it's flawed because you have innocents who are executed, so what do you say to the family? Sorry won't cut it because the innocent person is already dead. People who commit sex crimes against children should get the death penalty, especially when those crimes involve murder. Let's be real, some people are so evil that they do NOT deserve to live. No amount of rehabilitation can save them. When you're as evil as Ted Bundy or Jeffrey Dahmer, or Crips gang boss Stanley Williams, do you really think rehab would save those people? Come on.
Killing doesn't give a grieving family any peace, that's just not true. State sanctioned murder is as wrong as any other form of murder, especially when we can't even seem to figure out who is actually guilty before we put them in prison or kill them https://www.innocenceproject.org/all-cases/

Old 07-07-2019, 09:11 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,203,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Obvious cases... they should be put to death in under a month.

Ft.Hood shooter
Dylan Roof
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Why do you believe in the need to provide them mercy by sparing them from experiencing punishment for the rest of their lives in a prison cell? Do you hope they go straight to hell when they are executed?
In cases like I mentioned, they gave other people who were innocent the death penalty. They deserve the same.

I'm not concerned with whether or not they are saved.

Old 07-07-2019, 09:51 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
Pointing out sometimes that innocent people are executed certainly won't work to persuade people who favor the death penalty to end it. This is because you end the death penalty and nobody who is guilty is put to death. Since it rarely happens, executing innocent people is well worth the risk to them. The alternative that nobody who is guilty gets executed is absolutely unacceptable. Many of them also want more offenses eligible for the death penalty, putting more innocent people to risk.

That the death penalty too often can't be fairly administered in the states is also quite unfortunate. In Oklahoma, the person found guilty of paying someone to kill was given the death penalty while the actual paid killer was given life. The killer's life was spared from a deal he made agreeing to testify against the person who paid him. To be more fair, either both should be facing death, the killer only facing death, or both given life in prison.
I think honestly that people who support the death penalty believe it should be the punishment for every crime, since they are the same people who will never hire an ex con and feel ex cons should never be trusted....

Old 07-07-2019, 10:18 PM

156 posts, read 154,769 times
I support the Death Penalty and I think it should be expanded to include more crimes. I think it should be completed within 2 weeks of the 2nd and final appeal. I think a quick bullet to the head would be better than this non sense we use today. I think Prison should be the worst hell hole on earth, period. No visits, no tv, no medical attention, nothing but concrete rooms, no ac, no heat, and enough food to sustain life. Now that being said, no everyone that goes to prison today would go to my prisons, there would be different levels and only the most ruthless of criminals would go to Prison, the others would go to different places and work on rehab or education etc. I think it is pretty stupid to put an 18 year kid who sold pot in the same place as murder's and such.

I have a question for the ones that don't support it, for whatever reason. Would you be in favor of having all the victims' families become tax free? Since prisons are funded by tax payers, does it make any sense for the Dad of a daughter that was murdered to pay for the housing, food, medical etc of the person that killed his kid? It doesn't to me.

Old 07-08-2019, 04:44 AM

59,088 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Take those issues up with the Supreme Court.
The Supreme Court has not, to my knowledge banned executions, so what is your point?

Old 07-08-2019, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
That never happened.

Very obviously you are not aware that Codex E13 was written circa 1400 CE. These are a collection of gospel fragments. This group is very important, because it proves John 7:53 to 8:11 is a later addition. B. M. Metzger summarizes: “the evidence for the non-Johannine origin of the Pericope of the Adulteress is overwhelming."

Just in case you still don't get it, the story you mention never appears in any known texts until the 14th Century.

That story was not written by John, it was written by a cardinal in Rome.

The reason it was written by a cardinal in Rome, is because the popes had committed adultery. Yes, at one time popes were allowed to marry. Popes committed adultery with other women and other men and with small children and some popes were homosexual and some were pedophiles.

At least three popes are known to have raped women in broad daylight in front of hundreds of horrified on-lookers.

The intent and purpose of the story is to protect the popes, by eliminating any avenue of criticism of their horrible behavior.

No, wrong, wrong answer.

The whole world does not commit crimes. Everyone does not lie and everyone does not steal and every does not cheat and everyone does not commit murder.

Your ignorance on the subject matter is truly astounding.

We can do absolutely nothing for rehabilitation very slowly.

Only the criminal can rehabilitate.

Rehabilitation can only occur when all of the following have been accomplished:

1. The criminal confesses the crime in its entirety truthfully; and
2. The criminal admits that what s/he did was wrong; and
3. The criminal accepts and professes 100% blame and 100% responsibility for the crime; and
4. The criminal voluntarily offers restitution to the victim(s) of his/her crime(s); and
5. The criminal voluntarily apologizes to the victim(s); and
6. The criminal undertakes to never commit another crime.
7. And finally the criminal never commits another crime.

You wanna know why a lot of people aren't paroled?

Because they refuse to confess to the crime in its entirety, or they partially confess or they down-play their role in the crime or they blame the victim or other people or they refuse to apologize.
Let's not ignore one of the biggest problems, repeat offenders.

Old 07-08-2019, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
Opposed!

Capital punishment is an intolerable denial of civil liberties and is inconsistent with the fundamental values of our democratic system. The death penalty is uncivilized in theory and unfair and inequitable in practice.

Capital punishment inherently violates the constitutional ban against cruel and unusual punishment and the guarantees of due process of law and of equal protection under the law.

The death penalty system in the US is applied in an unfair and unjust manner against people, largely dependent on how much money they have, the skill of their attorneys, race of the victim and where the crime took place.

The death penalty is a waste of taxpayer funds and has no public safety benefit. The vast majority of law enforcement professionals surveyed agree that capital punishment does not deter violent crime; a survey of police chiefs nationwide found they rank the death penalty lowest among ways to reduce violent crime.

Innocent people are too often sentenced to death. Since 1973, over 156 people have been released from death rows in 26 states because of innocence. Nationally, at least one person is exonerated for every 10 that are executed.
You made LOT of claims as if FACTS, when in FACT they are nothing but your OWN biased OPINIONS.

Old 07-08-2019, 04:53 AM

8,069 posts, read 12,787,809 times
I am in favor of death as a punishment for heinous crimes. In my opinion if you take someones life in cold blood you have forfeit your own.

What bothers me is the delay in executions. There is no reason a convicted individual should be given 10 to 30 years of life before the sentence is carried out. Give them one shot at an appeal and that's it.

Another thing that bothers me is the "last meal" and all that. Once convicted and all appeals settled it should be as simple as walking up to the cell unannounced and putting a bullet in the back of their heads. No time to think about it, no last meal, no last talk with loved ones. The victim didn't have that opportunity either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies