Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: True or false?
True 13 37.14%
False 22 62.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 11:19 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
This perception is drastically wrong when it comes to female athletes. Female athletes outperform students at large in college. You can't play the "dumb jock" card with this group.
Not sure about that group, but in this forum?

If only that was as bad as it gets...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2019, 11:20 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,095,474 times
As Yogi would have put it, if sports stars won't visit the White House you can't stop them.

Old 07-10-2019, 11:22 AM

1,893 posts, read 1,010,189 times
only way Trump gets them to show up is to promise them some sort of Lifetime Achievement type award like he did Tiger and Jack......I'd wear gloves if I had to shake that nasty man's hands.

Old 07-10-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
The post I replied to was talking about sports in general, men and women. Universities today are basically liberalism indoctrination centers anyway. And with Leftist liberals, they are intolerant of opposing views so even if there are some in the team that don't agree with a Rapinoe, they would be better off not speaking up.
More often than not, I think it's the merit of opposing views or lack thereof that leaves some better off not speaking up, but then again in this forum and outside too, there really is no lack of misguided opinion being expressed with gusto! At least all these people wearing MAGA hats sure don't seem too shy about "speaking up."

Not always too clear what they're speaking up about, like how we're "making America great again" or what that really means, but that's another matter...

Old 07-10-2019, 11:26 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times

Old 07-10-2019, 11:28 AM

5,117 posts, read 2,162,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Would you consider Kareem an idiot I wonder...

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ter-nfl-owners

An idiot? No. Disrespectful? Yes. These guys can kneel, jump up and down, do back flips for their causes as long as it's OFF THE FIELD or in the locker room. When politics muddy the waters of sports, you are disrespecting my time. If I want to watch political content, I'll turn on CNN. When I watch sports, this is my leisure time. I want to focus on the game and not politics! Many of us watch sports to escape politics and the problems of the world for three hours.

It's really that simple.

Old 07-10-2019, 11:29 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,107,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Athletes are not known to be very intelligent. Hence, the jock image. I wouldn't put what these "jocks" have to say about the White House. With that said, there are plenty of athletes that are not against Trump (and maybe there are a few on this team as well) except the Leftist media don't give them the attention.
I really enjoyed the Fox News clip with those guys and girls watching the soccer game in a bar when they started shouting ‘f😅#4ck trump”.....really entertaining. Loved it.

Old 07-10-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
Among athletes who didn't go to the White House under Obama:

NASCAR: Greg Biffle, Carl Edwards, Kevin Harvick, Tony Stewart

Baseball: Tony LaRussa, Albert Pujols

Football: James Harrison, Matt Birk, Jim Langer, Bob Kuchenberg, Manny Fernandez

Hockey: Tim Thomas

My favorite one was Mark Chmura not going to see Bill Clinton because "It doesn't really say much for society and the morals [Clinton] sets forth for our children."

In 2000, Chmura was charged with child enticement and third-degree sexual assault of his 17-year-old baby sitter, and, while acquitted, said afterwards, his actions "weren't something a married man should do."
Proof it's not only liberals then?

Could probably have some fun looking closer into your list, like you do with Chmura for example, but with respect to Langer, Kuchenberg and Fernandez, the entire Maimi Dolphins team was honored by Obama at the White House with the exception of those three players.

A little different from how athletes and entire teams are snubbing Trump today I think. Trump would be delighted if his invites were accepted by these teams with just the exception of a few players...

Old 07-10-2019, 11:33 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,392,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I've seen this perspective described similarly before, many times, by conservatives, but can it be that conservatives don't understand how perspective on the part of the gate keepers can be a little different from those who feel they are being kept out by the gate and the gate keepers?

All to ask, who is really getting "their way" and who isn't?

Anyone preventing you from getting married for example? Having an abortion? Equal representation in Congress? On the boards of corporate America...?
Are you suggesting we simply give women things like congressional seats and board seats without having to compete for them?

Old 07-10-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
Trump could never do anything right by these athletes eyes. Most of them have zero idea of why they protesting the guy anyway. It is also hysterical they they get all butthurt when they make nasty ignorant statements and Trump actually fights back. My son graduated the Air Force Academy in late May. He got to shake Trump's hand. My whole family never liked Obama. If Obama was president my son would have shaken his hand and our whole family would have been proud. Its called having class which a number of these athletes have none!
My guess, given this statement of yours in bold, is that you're the one who has "zero idea" why they are protesting anyway. I'd provide you with countless explanations, but something tells me you wouldn't read them either...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies