Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 11:16 AM

73,138 posts, read 62,801,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
That is true- obviously I was kidding.

I do feel sorry for the normal people who live in those areas who are essentially economic prisoners and have to put up with that crap.

There is no good solution. Probably a good start would be legalizing drugs and drying up the revenue of the criminals.
I certainly don't recommend an "Escape From New York" scenario.

Prison doesn't seem to stop people from using drugs. Some people try to smuggle drugs into prison. A better question is this: Why do some people want to use drugs so badly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2019, 11:31 AM

19,737 posts, read 10,173,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I certainly don't recommend an "Escape From New York" scenario.

Prison doesn't seem to stop people from using drugs. Some people try to smuggle drugs into prison. A better question is this: Why do some people want to use drugs so badly?
They want an escape.

Old 07-19-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
They want an escape.
Sounds like the same reason I drank alot. I had a job I didn't like. I dealt with mental abuse from a few co-workers. I had sleep issues. I started upping my alcohol consumption. I wanted an escape. Fear of prison was enough to keep me from stuff like meth and fentanyl (and I live in an area where I could get it if I wanted it). However, for some, the fear of prison isn't enough.

Old 07-26-2019, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Find a way to change the culture, and no one seems to know how to do it.
Dealing with the hood rat underclass subculture would take radical changes. It's been around for a while and it's even glorified on social media.

Old 07-26-2019, 07:39 AM

34,270 posts, read 18,653,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post
end the war on drugs and take the money out of gang business it would do wonders...(too easy)
I agree. The War on Drugs has been a huge failure. Legalize drugs. Prohibition didn't work either.

This isn't "Gun Violence", this is GANG VIOLENCE. Many of these thugs if arrested don't do much jail time and are already multiple FELONS. Make the penalties harsher for the commission of a crime when a criminal uses a gun. Don't let the Justice System be a revolving door for RECTIVISM.

Old 07-26-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I agree. The War on Drugs has been a huge failure. Legalize drugs. Prohibition didn't work either.

This isn't "Gun Violence", this is GANG VIOLENCE. Many of these thugs if arrested don't do much jail time and are already multiple FELONS. Make the penalties harsher for the commission of a crime when a criminal uses a gun. Don't let the Justice System be a revolving door for RECTIVISM.
The War of Drugs has merely been a way to feed the prison system. And I notice alot of discrepancies. When crack was on the streets, there was no sympathy towards its users. When it's meth, it's "a medical problem". The war on drugs has failed because it hasn't stopped the demand for drugs.

The violence problem isn't just a gang problem. Another big issue is anger problem. A significant amount of murders take place during arguments. People killing other people during arguments out of some severe anger. Said persons learned early on the idea that violence solves all problems.

I agree that some crimes should have harsher sentences. I also want to talk about this. Not being sentenced hard enough might be a factor in high recividism. There is much more. When someone is in a gang, going to prison is considered "cool" by the gang, and the gang respects him for it. And then there is another problem: Being institutitionalized. Basically, it's easier for a person to live in prison than in the free world. A person could spend 10 years in prison and then come out not knowing how to live outside of problem. Some homeless men commit crimes so that they can go to prison and get 3 meals and a bed.

I remember watching a NatGeo documentary about prison. The person speaking to a bunch of new prisoners say "If you can't think for yourself, if you need someone to think for you, then you're in the right place".

Old 07-26-2019, 08:03 AM

34,270 posts, read 18,653,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The War of Drugs has merely been a way to feed the prison system. And I notice alot of discrepancies. When crack was on the streets, there was no sympathy towards its users. When it's meth, it's "a medical problem". The war on drugs has failed because it hasn't stopped the demand for drugs.
Totally agree. The Justice System is just a money system that wants to sustain itself and grow. Non-Violent criminals should NOT be jailed. Drug users should not be jailed.

Quote:
The violence problem isn't just a gang problem. Another big issue is anger problem. A significant amount of murders take place during arguments. People killing other people during arguments out of some severe anger. Said persons learned early on the idea that violence solves all problems.
I have friends that are big city cops, both Black and White. They tell me that AGRESSION in the Black community is the number one problem. Violence is deemed OK to use to settle arguments in that culture. Why? Is it genetic? Is it a learned response in a hostile environment? Or is it a combination of both?

Quote:
I agree that some crimes should have harsher sentences. I also want to talk about this. Not being sentenced hard enough might be a factor in high recividism. There is much more. When someone is in a gang, going to prison is considered "cool" by the gang, and the gang respects him for it. And then there is another problem: Being institutitionalized. Basically, it's easier for a person to live in prison than in the free world. A person could spend 10 years in prison and then come out not knowing how to live outside of problem. Some homeless men commit crimes so that they can go to prison and get 3 meals and a bed.
Agreed, and it is a sad situation to actually want to be in jail.

Old 07-26-2019, 08:09 AM

19,737 posts, read 10,173,766 times
Quote:

But for some, it is better than outside in the real world.

Old 07-26-2019, 08:17 AM

Quote:
But for some, it is better than outside in the real world.
Well, here's an even sadder statistic. Black men have a higher life expectancy IN prison than out of prison. And that's saying alot considering that prison normally shortens a man's life expectancy.

https://www.theatlantic.com/national...on-out/352939/

Old 07-26-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Totally agree. The Justice System is just a money system that wants to sustain itself and grow. Non-Violent criminals should NOT be jailed. Drug users should not be jailed.
Not so much the justice system but the prison system these days. Not so much different from the convict-lease system. And drugs have even been found in prison, so even prison doesn't stop drug use. If people want drugs, they'll find a way. And we have to ask why people would want to use drugs.

Quote:
I have friends that are big city cops, both Black and White. They tell me that AGRESSION in the Black community is the number one problem. Violence is deemed OK to use to settle arguments in that culture. Why? Is it genetic? Is it a learned response in a hostile environment? Or is it a combination of both?
I don't think it's genetics. I don't see this kind of behavior from African immigrants. And based on some White people I've known who went to Ghana, many poor villages in Ghana were safer places to go to than inner city Black neighborhoods in the USA. Sounds more like alot of anger issues. And this leads to something else. Men are far less likely to seek out mental health resources than women. And this is quite the case for Black men as well. Alot of anger, and being in a very hostile environment. And when the inner city ghetto is all you know, well, it has its effects. That aggression is likely a response to a hostile environment, as well as having alot of anger. When you live in a place where it's kill or be killed, well, you can only imagine what violence takes place.

Quote:
When someone can't take care of themselve in the free world, they will do things that will land them in prison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies