Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 02:27 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Did you see the picture of the open window? How would anyone know if it was opened or closed? I agree about the child not being allowed to lean on the window and I said so, but clear windows and doors are supposed to have decals so that open and closed can be differentiated. A kid without an adult around could have done the same thing.
They're not clear windows. They're tinted blue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2019, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
I believe it is the designer of the boat fault. Take a look at this picture below, one window is open. Some say that the baby could not get up there by herself, but an older kid could.

What is exactly is the point of that window? If the point is to get fresh air, then it should be higher up. If the point is to look outside, then windows are a terrible choice compared to either no glass at all or a full glass window.
What is the design flaw? Even with the grainy picture, it's easy to tell which window is open. Its even easier to tell during the day with the tinted blue windows.

There is also a railing in front of the open window. No, a baby could not get up their by herself. And the way it is designed, even an adult couldn't simply fall out the window. They would have to be doing something dumb, like sitting on the railing or standing on the deck furniture. People doing stupid things is not the ship's designer's fault. It is the fault of the stupid people.

Old 07-23-2019, 02:52 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,075,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
What is the design flaw? Even with the grainy picture, it's easy to tell which window is open. Its even easier to tell during the day with the tinted blue windows.

There is also a railing in front of the open window. No, a baby could not get up their by herself. And the way it is designed, even an adult couldn't simply fall out the window. They would have to be doing something dumb, like sitting on the railing or standing on the deck furniture. People doing stupid things is not the ship's designer's fault. It is the fault of the stupid people.
I disagree. Boats should be designed to deal with stupid and drunk people. And while it might be relatively easy for you to see, it is not easy for someone with vision problems.

And I didn't say a baby could get up there themselves, I said a kid could. Should parents have to constantly watch their older kids in case they might fall out of some window? When you enter a new cruise ship, you don't know which windows are openable.

The boats I have been to, has either used full glass or no glass. There is no point of having windows, it is just a safety hazard.

Old 07-23-2019, 02:53 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
The windows are tinted so that it is easy to see which ones are open, and there's a railing to prevent people from getting close.

Read that this ship has been in service for over a decade, with thousands of passengers in that time. Not a single one has fallen through a window to their death.

Until this guy puts his precious granddaughter on the railing to pound on a glass window. Who does that?

It's not the cruise line's fault that this guy doesn't have the sense God gave a goose.

Old 07-23-2019, 03:03 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,270,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
I think it’s grandpas fault. The little girl couldn’t have gotten up there on her own.

No responsible person would let any toddler lean against a glass window to pound on.
Bingo.

Old 07-23-2019, 03:12 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,075,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
The windows are tinted so that it is easy to see which ones are open, and there's a railing to prevent people from getting close.

Read that this ship has been in service for over a decade, with thousands of passengers in that time. Not a single one has fallen through a window to their death.

Until this guy puts his precious granddaughter on the railing to pound on a glass window. Who does that?

It's not the cruise line's fault that this guy doesn't have the sense God gave a goose.
I have seen a lot of kids pound on glass windows or even sitting on the railing. I am sure there has been a lot of kids on that railing. We don't really know if anyone has fallen out a window before, a drunk person falling out is not going to make any headlines.

Most of the times it goes fine, even though people act stupid. But you do need to design for stupid actions, because they still don't deserve to die.

Old 07-23-2019, 03:19 AM

Quote:
And I didn't say a baby could get up there themselves, I said a kid could. Should parents have to constantly watch their older kids in case they might fall out of some window?
Uh, yeah of course parents should watch their children. You think that because they're on vacation they're no longer responsible for their child(ren)'s well being? Just as an adult can not simply fall out the window, neither can a child. They'd have to be doing something dangerous.

Old 07-23-2019, 03:20 AM

I've been around for decades, whenever I've just seen a kid pound on a glass window some adult will say, "Stop that! You could get hurt."

Old 07-23-2019, 03:23 AM

The idea that the world can be designed to eliminate danger for stupid people is ridiculous.

Old 07-23-2019, 03:23 AM

Quote:
I have seen a lot of kids pound on glass windows or even sitting on the railing. I am sure there has been a lot of kids on that railing. We don't really know if anyone has fallen out a window before, a drunk person falling out is not going to make any headlines.
Yeah, we do know. Anyone who falls off a ship, regardless of age or sobriety, ends up making the news.

And even if others have set their babies on the railing, that doesn't make it ok. Its still extremely dangerous thing to do, especially in front of an open window 11 stories above a concrete pier. Those railings are there for the safety of those on the ship, not as a seating area for young children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies