Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think:
Rashida Tlaib should run for and win the Presidency? 3 2.03%
Rashida Tlaib is a material asset to Congress and her district? 13 8.78%
Is sincere in her love for her grandmother? 14 9.46%
Is a national disgrace? 103 69.59%
Is a traitor? 40 27.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2019, 10:47 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,596,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
The Jews are the original inhabitants of that area (at least among the peoples currently there). And Jews have always lived in that area. The declaration creating the State of Israel didn't change this fact.

To that point, what gives Palestinians the right to the area? There has never been a state of "Palestine" and the occupied territories today were part of Jordan, Syria, etc. If anyone has a claim to those lands, its those countries, not the Palestinian Authority.

But the Jews via Israel have right to the area for the same reason why the House of Saud has rights to Saudi Arabia; they defeated their enemies.

Interestingly, Israel's borders would be much smaller today had several Arab nations intent on destroying the country for the simple fact that it is a nation of Jews didn't seek to wipe the country off the face of the Earth during several wars.
The Palestinians have always lived in the area.... always.

Israel displaced those Palestinians who lived there since time immemorial, stole their farms and houses, and displaced them into refugee camps. Imagine if South African white farmers had their land taken, and replaced by indigenous people?

I can just hear that outrage in these forums.

So, please, how is that different than what Israel did. They have no right to the West Bank for sure.

Old 08-18-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
What right Russia has to Kaliningrad (Königsberg)? Where are your demands that Russia give back Königsberg to Germany and will let all the germans to return?
At least I would get back my family's lands that was in the family for 100's of years. Not holding my breath.

Old 08-18-2019, 10:51 AM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post

Israel displaced those Palestinians who lived there since time immemorial, stole their farms and houses, and displaced them into refugee camps. Imagine if South African white farmers had their land taken, and replaced by indigenous people?

So, please, how is that different than what Israel did. They have no right to the West Bank for sure.
So have the Jews. So then which group takes priority or who has the greater right to live there?

The politics of displacement and conquest is nothing new and not unique to Israel. Let's stop holding Israel to a different standard than we hold everyone else to

Indeed, as I mentioned, the House of Saud displaced other Arab ethnic groups when it consolidated power across Saudi Arabia. The same goes for country after country, society after society.

Fundamentally, though, as I mentioned, there has never been a country called Palestine. The land at issue largely belonged to the modern states of Jordan, Syria, etc. If anything, those countries have a claim to land. Not the Palestinian Liberation Organization.

Old 08-18-2019, 11:11 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,813,278 times
The Detroit Free Press endorsed Tlaib (who had previously served in the Michigan legislature) in the Democratic primary in 2018. Will they do the same next year? I’m not sure that Tlaib’s pro-Palestinian views play well in her majority-black district.

Old 08-18-2019, 11:17 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,657,591 times
Quote:
At least I would get back my family's lands that was in the family for 100's of years. Not holding my breath.
Huh? What is the link to Konigsberg?

Old 08-18-2019, 11:20 AM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
The Detroit Free Press endorsed Tlaib (who had previously served in the Michigan legislature) in the Democratic primary in 2018. Will they do the same next year? I’m not sure that Tlaib’s pro-Palestinian views play well in her majority-black district.
You know, I did not realize that she lived in a majority black district until now; I always assumed it was majority Arab. While black voters will elect far left radicals to office, they tend to not like putting up with people who rock the boat too much (I say "they" even though I'm black as I'm not a Democrat, while most blacks are) or bring negative attention to their area.

Having written that, I can assure you (and I'm sad to report) that black voters are far more pro-Palestinian than they are pro-Israel. Its not even close. So, on that front, alone, Rashida Tlaid won't be hurt politically.

Old 08-18-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:

When you start an annihilation war against a nation, you may lose. And that what happen when you lose a war. You lose your house, land and sometimes even your life.
That what happen when you want to take the share that the UN gave to your neighbor. You can lose your own share.
Israel has a right to Judea also. Do you really want to tell me that Jews don't have right to Judea? Are you kidding me?

Old 08-18-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
When you start an annihilation war against a nation, you may lose. And that what happen when you lose a war. You lose your house, land and sometimes even your life.
That what happen when you want to take the share that the UN gave to your neighbor. You can lose your own share.
Israel has a right to Judea also. Do you really want to tell me that Jews don't have right to Judea? Are you kidding me?
Why? Because they say so? Because of some fake story that became part of the bible?

DNA and archaeology show that there was nothing specials about the Hebrews as opposed to the Canaanites. They were one and the same.

Or if you want to go biblical, both Arabs and Jews are children of Abraham.

Old 08-18-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Why? Because they say so? Because of some fake story that became part of the bible?

DNA and archaeology show that there was nothing specials about the Hebrews as opposed to the Canaanites. They were one and the same.

Or if you want to go biblical, both Arabs and Jews are children of Abraham.
Ok. "Fake story" that most of the world believe in.

Old 08-18-2019, 12:21 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Perish the thought of my being facetious. To the contrary, Rashida Tlaib for President!
In that case truth is stranger and funnier than fiction, and my enemy's enemy is my friend .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies