Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2019, 08:54 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,725,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
I've already stated that anyone who knowingly hires illegal invaders should be arrested, so what's your point? I don't know what BUSH has to do with what Pelosi did, didn't do or vice versa?
Arrest the farmers hiring illegal immigrants then. Fine by me. Those farmers are getting $50 Billion in taxpayer money and still hiring illegal immigrants. The bottom line is, rural voters have their hands in the wallets of urban taxpayers - in numerous ways, too many to count. Urban areas should demand their money stay within urban areas and force rural areas to pay for their own businesses and infrastructure. We should not be propping up the farmers, we should not be paying to support 15% of West Virginia on Disability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 09:12 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,439,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
So you advocate authoritarian means to stop what you call authoritarian rule?
No, but using land trust laws and social change can be a start.

Old 07-29-2019, 09:18 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,668,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
With all the talk about how terrible America's cities are lately and how rural America is a shining example of the 'real America', why is rural America in such decline? Why is there so much poverty in the Ozarks and Appalachia? Why does everyone who has the means to want to move to the big city for employment and quality of life? In addition, very few cities are predominantly conservative.

https://www.citylab.com/perspective/...ecline/588883/
A city raised person will never know, even when its explained to them !!! Its outside their purview !!!

Most city people have never ran their own business in the city and sure as He$$ can't know and will never know what it takes to run a ranch or a farm or a dairy !!!

Last edited by phma; 07-29-2019 at 09:30 PM..

Old 07-29-2019, 09:28 PM

8,505 posts, read 4,569,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Arrest the farmers hiring illegal immigrants then. Fine by me. Those farmers are getting $50 Billion in taxpayer money and still hiring illegal immigrants. The bottom line is, rural voters have their hands in the wallets of urban taxpayers - in numerous ways, too many to count. Urban areas should demand their money stay within urban areas and force rural areas to pay for their own businesses and infrastructure. We should not be propping up the farmers, we should not be paying to support 15% of West Virginia on Disability.

Are these some of the farmers that are paid to sit on their ass and not plant crops? Shouldn't they have to work for federal payouts?

Old 07-29-2019, 09:32 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,725,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
A city raised person will never know, even when its explained to them !!! Its outside their purview !!!

Most city people have never ran their own business in the city and sure as He$$ can't know and will never know what it takes to run a ranch or a farm !!!
Apparently what it takes to run a farm is $50 Billion in taxpayer money. The real question is can a farm be successful without farm subsidies and tariff relief? Just growing the crops and selling them without taxpayer "generosity". How much is an ear of corn with all the additional money? $5.00? More?

The bigger problem is Republicans are not fans of advanced education. The governor of Alaska is cutting 41% of University of Alaska's money - $130 million (which is nothing, scraps, in Trump farmer money). Teachers will be released, classes cut and students will leave. The trickle down effect will be that students will leave Alaska, get their education somewhere else and be unlikely to return. Thus, Alaska'a educated workforce will decrease year after year as those that remain age. This is what the Republican party represents and it's why urban areas are more educated and attract more jobs. Companies look for an educated workforce to draw from and Alaska will not be one of those, not unlike what happens in rural areas.

Old 07-29-2019, 09:33 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,345,484 times
If rural America is so great, why does everyone want to leave for the big city?

I have it both ways; I live in a small Pennsylvania-German enclave a two hours' drive from Harrisburg -- one of America's coolest small metros; used to make regular visits to two well-educated retired schoolteachers in what I'll just describe as a "rainbow" neighborhood; what more could one ask for?

Old 07-29-2019, 09:35 PM

35,711 posts, read 21,081,460 times
The city equals. Jobs- education- social life- getting away from parents- personal growth- expanding ones mindset- freedom to be yourself.
I would say - many in the city were from the country. Some do go back, and some return found out was nothing like when they were kids, most just settle in between. It’s all good - I’m fighting now that see how I can get to a coastal city somewhere on this planet where I can afford to retire. Point - gotta go where it’s affordable and aren’t making city money Anymore !
-

Old 07-29-2019, 10:01 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,359,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Well good, then maybe the rural voters will tell the urban voters to go to hell and stop providing food for them? Unless of course they're willing to pay dearly for it. Rural areas should demand their food stay within rural areas and force urban areas to grow their own food, raise their own cattle, dairy and poultry. Maybe you'll be lucky and have a pond, or lake on your property or live on the shore, this way you can live off fish for the rest of your life.

By your way of reasoning, we should stop spending taxpayer money for all social welfare programs too. The bottom line is, those who depend on those services have their hands in the wallets of ALL taxpayers - in numerous ways, too many to count. We should not be propping up the freeloaders, we should not be paying to support 35% of the American population that are receiving some form of government assistance. Especially those who are unwilling to get up off their dead asses and do something about their situation and sorry lot in life.

But the problem lies with who gets to pick the winners and losers? You or me? What's important to you doesn't mean sh*t to me and vice versa. STALEMATE!

Quote:
Quote:
Welfare Budget - Federal Safety Net
Welfare Budget - Federal Safety Net
Welfare Budget. These programs spent $364 billion and $354 billion in 2016 and 2017, respectively. The welfare budget also includes the Medicaid Program (health care for the low-income Americans). With the inclusion of Medicaid the overall spending on welfare totaled $732 billion in fiscal year 2016 and $729 billion in 2017 .
23 Shocking Statistics of Welfare in America
https://www.creditdonkey.com/welfare-statistics.html
What percentage of Americans are on welfare? Through the fourth quarter of 2012, there were nearly 110 million Americans receiving some form of government assistance. That's right around 35% of the total U.S. population.

Old 07-29-2019, 10:10 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,359,793 times
Quote:

Most city people have never ran their own business in the city and sure as He$$ can't know and will never know what it takes to run a ranch or a farm or a dairy !!!
You've got that right!

But they'll raise wholly hell when a quart of milk costs them $20 a gallon. Or $15 for a bag of carrots.

Old 07-29-2019, 10:20 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,373,837 times
Quote:

I would love to put seacove through a 14 hour day on a small dairy farm!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies