Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2019, 10:52 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,640,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
That first crusty soppy tail whip to the face when they kneel down between the cows lol
You're killing me !!! my butt off right now !!!

You are talking about what we used to call the toothbrush !!! You learn not to smile real fast !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 11:08 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Because rural America REALLY sucks. Like, big time.
That is so profoundly true, especially in the most backward rural Oklahoma counties. Until Oct. 1, 2018, 14 of them had formerly banned liquor by the drink. But in 2016 Oklahoma Republican leaders finally allowed Oklahomans to vote to modernize state alcohol laws. The change meant that those 14 backward counties either had to legalize liquor by the drink or else no alcohol, not even beer, could legally be served by the drink. All 14 counties complied in June 26, 2018 vote.

As Lisette Barnes, President of the Oklahoma Beer Alliance put it June, 2018: "Oklahoma has officially repealed all Prohibition-era laws! Voters in these 14 “dry” counties understood that a vote against liquor-by-the-drink sales would put local businesses and jobs at risk and harm the future of business in our state. Now, all Oklahomans can embrace alcohol modernization this fall and enjoy a cold, strong beer, glass of wine or mixed drink at dinner, golfing or during a night out with friends no matter what county they visit.”

Unfortunately, the majority of Oklahoma rural counties voted NO when it came to the vote to legalize medical marijuana in 2018. I sure wouldn't want to live in such rural backwardness. At least the state as a whole voted YES to legalize it and applies to all counties. I asked a young social media friend, who is a medical marijuana advocate and lives in one of those counties why he is still living there. He replied, "Because it's home." So I guess that is about a good reason as any why people still want to live in rural places or in other words, in the middle of nowhere.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 07-29-2019 at 11:32 PM..

Old 07-29-2019, 11:09 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Are these some of the farmers that are paid to sit on their ass and not plant crops? Shouldn't they have to work for federal payouts?
YES they should. I have a relative in the midwest that said they knew Nebraska farmers that made more money from insurance claims during the floods than they do growing crops. Add that to the Trump money and these farmers can sit around getting money handed to them for quite a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Well good, then maybe the rural voters will tell the urban voters to go to hell and stop providing food for them? Unless of course they're willing to pay dearly for it. Rural areas should demand their food stay within rural areas and force urban areas to grow their own food, raise their own cattle, dairy and poultry. Maybe you'll be lucky and have a pond, or lake on your property or live on the shore, this way you can live off fish for the rest of your life.

By your way of reasoning, we should stop spending taxpayer money for all social welfare programs too. The bottom line is, those who depend on those services have their hands in the wallets of ALL taxpayers - in numerous ways, too many to count. We should not be propping up the freeloaders, we should not be paying to support 35% of the American population that are receiving some form of government assistance. Especially those who are unwilling to get up off their dead asses and do something about their situation and sorry lot in life.

But the problem lies with who gets to pick the winners and losers? You or me? What's important to you doesn't mean sh*t to me and vice versa. STALEMATE!
Please, I live in Washington state, we grow our own food all the time and we have seafood. I don't care what Trump voters do as long as they get out of my wallet. What's more, I get plenty of off season (not available in the midwest either) produce in the winter from Costco, brought in from Mexico and Central America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
You've got that right!

But they'll raise wholly hell when a quart of milk costs them $20 a gallon. Or $15 for a bag of carrots.
After giving the farmers $50 BILLION, we probably already are paying $20 a gallon for milk and $15. for a bag of carrots. Better to grow our food locally and tell the farmers to pound sand and try competing globally instead.

Quote:
I would love to put seacove through a 14 hour day on a small dairy farm!
Baha even Trump voters don't do that, they hire illegal immigrants to work the dairy farms. No pity for these farmers, they elected Trump and now they can pay the price. Make Appalachia get off their behinds and go work on the farms.

“One of the biggest problems in agriculture and dairy is that American citizens no longer want to work like that,” said Christian Landis, owner of Worth the Wait Farm, a dairy operation in Stevens, Lancaster County. “And immigrants — illegal or legal — are the only ones who are willing to step up to the plate to serve these positions.”

‘There’s no one around’: Pa. farmers faced with labor shortage
https://www.inquirer.com/news/pennsy...-20190507.html

Last edited by Seacove; 07-29-2019 at 11:19 PM..

Old 07-29-2019, 11:49 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,363,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
You're killing me !!! my butt off right now !!!

You are talking about what we used to call the toothbrush !!! You learn not to smile real fast !!!
And then after a hard milking since nobody liked dude enough to show him how to use his right arm to stop kicking, the ol spreader mysteriously pops a bar and needs to be forked out by hand.

Old 07-29-2019, 11:50 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,363,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
YES they should. I have a relative in the midwest that said they knew Nebraska farmers that made more money from insurance claims during the floods than they do growing crops. Add that to the Trump money and these farmers can sit around getting money handed to them for quite a while.

Please, I live in Washington state, we grow our own food all the time and we have seafood. I don't care what Trump voters do as long as they get out of my wallet. What's more, I get plenty of off season (not available in the midwest either) produce in the winter from Costco, brought in from Mexico and Central America.

After giving the farmers $50 BILLION, we probably already are paying $20 a gallon for milk and $15. for a bag of carrots. Better to grow our food locally and tell the farmers to pound sand and try competing globally instead.

Baha even Trump voters don't do that, they hire illegal immigrants to work the dairy farms. No pity for these farmers, they elected Trump and now they can pay the price. Make Appalachia get off their behinds and go work on the farms.

“One of the biggest problems in agriculture and dairy is that American citizens no longer want to work like that,” said Christian Landis, owner of Worth the Wait Farm, a dairy operation in Stevens, Lancaster County. “And immigrants — illegal or legal — are the only ones who are willing to step up to the plate to serve these positions.”

‘There’s no one around’: Pa. farmers faced with labor shortage
https://www.inquirer.com/news/pennsy...-20190507.html
So now you're harmoniously one with farmers? Judging by the use of the word we

Old 07-29-2019, 11:54 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Quote:
So now you're harmoniously one with farmers? Judging by the use of the word we
No, we urbans who live in Western Washington. Even urban chickens are a thing here. We have greenhouses, large yards and salmon.

Old 07-30-2019, 12:06 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
The funny part is we really get to see the depths of these posters hatred. Since it's hatred towards white middle America it's allowed here. You can go back through posts and see them advocating death for everyone in farmland, even the liberals that happen to live there.

Yes they really do say those things. The other day it was poor people in Louisiana getting cancer from chemical plants.
Whites aren’t the only rural Americans. African Americans are just as rural.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
That is so profoundly true, especially in the most backward rural Oklahoma counties. Until Oct. 1, 2018, 14 of them had formerly banned liquor by the drink. But in 2016 Oklahoma Republican leaders finally allowed Oklahomans to vote to modernize state alcohol laws. The change meant that those 14 backward counties either had to legalize liquor by the drink or else no alcohol, not even beer, could legally be served by the drink. All 14 counties complied in June 26, 2018 vote.

As Lisette Barnes, President of the Oklahoma Beer Alliance put it June, 2018: "Oklahoma has officially repealed all Prohibition-era laws! Voters in these 14 “dry” counties understood that a vote against liquor-by-the-drink sales would put local businesses and jobs at risk and harm the future of business in our state. Now, all Oklahomans can embrace alcohol modernization this fall and enjoy a cold, strong beer, glass of wine or mixed drink at dinner, golfing or during a night out with friends no matter what county they visit.”

Unfortunately, the majority of Oklahoma rural counties voted NO when it came to the vote to legalize medical marijuana in 2018. I sure wouldn't want to live in such rural backwardness. At least the state as a whole voted YES to legalize it and applies to all counties. I asked a young social media friend, who is a medical marijuana advocate and lives in one of those counties why he is still living there. He replied, "Because it's home." So I guess that is about a good reason as any why people still want to live in rural places or in other words, in the middle of nowhere.
Gawd...rural Oklahoma is an INCREDIBLE tragedy. Some of those towns look like hell.

Old 07-30-2019, 12:14 AM

5,527 posts, read 3,247,667 times
False dichotomy.

Judging by migration patterns, most people want to live in the suburbs.

Old 07-30-2019, 12:18 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
I'm old. I don't know anyone at all who is looking to retire to a big city who doesn't already live in one. Think crime, cost of living and taxes. You probably don't know any retirees.

Old 07-30-2019, 12:20 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Whites aren’t the only rural Americans. African Americans are just as rural.

Gawd...rural Oklahoma is an INCREDIBLE tragedy. Some of those towns look like hell.
In southeast Oklahoma, such as Idabel, is where it's really bad rundown. Much of western and northern Oklahoma isn't as bad, since there is more income from energy and agriculture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies