Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2019, 07:33 AM

12,970 posts, read 9,662,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Head in the sand much?
I know, right? That's what the poster is telling himself, and want's to believe. I mean just making stuff up with no facts to go on. Just can't accept the facts that are out there already.

Old 08-04-2019, 07:35 AM

21,480 posts, read 10,582,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
That's not a very well thought out plan. I'm all for restricting gun ownership and banning weapons such as AK-47's, but there are many people and companies on the other side that would resist this, if not make it impossible. Democrats have to bring reasonable solutions and work to decrease the amount and types of guns over the long-term.

On the flip side, there are countries with very high homicide rates that have very strict gun laws. Strict gun laws might help curb some of this, but it certainly wouldn't stop it. Some would find ways to sneak gun parts in under the radar. Just like during prohibition, the illegal gun trade into the U.S. would grow if the U.S. put strict laws into place.

You would see an increase in homemade bombs and people using cars as weapons, such as was done in France.

Again, I'm all for way stricter gun laws myself and think the 2nd Amendment is a scapegoat to allow loose gun laws.

"In Federalist No. 46, Madison wrote how a federal army could be kept in check by state militias, "a standing army ... would be opposed [by] a militia." He argued that state militias "would be able to repel the danger" of a federal army...

In United States v. Cruikshank (1876), the Supreme Court ruled that, "The right to bear arms is not granted by the Constitution; neither is it in any manner dependent upon that instrument for its existence. The Second Amendments [sic] means no more than that it shall not be infringed by Congress, and has no other effect than to restrict the powers of the National Government."

In United States v. Miller (1939), the Supreme Court ruled that the Second Amendment did not protect weapon types not having a "reasonable relationship to the preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia."

It wasn't until recently that the Supreme Court held the 2nd Amendment to pertain to an individual's right to bear arms. From what I understand about the beginnings of the U.S., I would think the 2nd Amendment would pertain to a "well regulated militia." I don't see how an individual owning an AK-47 is the same as a well regulated militia.

While a crackdown on guns might help some, I think you're only seeing one part of a complex problem that is plaguing the U.S. at this time. The internet is a major factor in this as well. Radicals have outlets to communicate with other radicals, they have access to purchase weapons as never before, social isolation is growing, and the need to be popular through social media is deemed important. Someone who feels their life has no meaning is sitting at home and seeing all the attention given to other mass shooters. They have an instant path to infamy. I think a lot of this is how we have structured modern day society.
Excellent post! I agree with everything you wrote here.

Old 08-04-2019, 07:37 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,091,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
There was never a single day in US history when there werent foreigners walking around.

And the number you used is closest to foreign born, which many of our founders werent even born here, so not sure your logic.
Well...the truth is there could be MORE than 30 million UN-VETTED invaders wandering about. We just don't know now, do we? Because the dang border is OPEN.

So we have tens of millions of rapists and pedophiles and America-haters wandering about and you expect us, as a free people, to let the same government that has been so grossly derelict in their duty to protect us...to protect us?????

Not happening...ever. You are never going to get us to turn our weaponry to a government that has proven it hates us.

Old 08-04-2019, 07:40 AM

46,307 posts, read 27,117,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
What are you talking about? I know the laws in the state I live in. I probably have more legally bought guns in my home than your angry ass.

So you bought guns from a licensed dealer at a gun show and you did not fill out a 4473?

Or did you buy guns from a person walking through a gun show that had the gun over his shoulder?

Old 08-04-2019, 07:40 AM

50,316 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
What are you talking about? I know the laws in the state I live in. I probably have more legally bought guns in my home than your angry ass.
Then go buy a gun at a gun show and film it. Place extra focus on the part where you don't have to go through an FFL. In the parking lot doesn't count. That's the same as your garage. That will never be regulated.

And I highly doubt you have more firearms than myself. But cheers.

Old 08-04-2019, 07:41 AM

12,970 posts, read 9,662,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Well...the truth is there could be MORE than 30 million UN-VETTED invaders wandering about. We just don't know now, do we? Because the dang border is OPEN.

So we have tens of millions of rapists and pedophiles and America-haters wandering about and you expect us, as a free people, to let the same government that has been so grossly derelict in their duty to protect us...to protect us?????

Not happening...ever. You are never going to get us to turn our weaponry to a government that has proven it hates us.
Tens of millions? Where do you get your numbers from?

Old 08-04-2019, 07:42 AM

2,267 posts, read 1,946,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
No Obama radicalized people against the Police and caused quite a few LEO to be assassinated.

Many while they sat in their cars especially the 5 in Dallas.

No, he really didn't. If you actually listen to the words Obama spoke re: police shootings he never was anything other than even keeled. You are just stating what you want to believe without a factual background...which was largely the issue with republicans during the entire Obama presidency.

Old 08-04-2019, 07:43 AM

15,862 posts, read 6,331,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post

Old 08-04-2019, 07:43 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,510,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...on-in-the-u-s/

Old 08-04-2019, 07:44 AM

50,316 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Well, in their defense, we've been quoting some imaginary number of illegals for 15 years now and that number hasn't changed. Which is ridiculous. We have no way of knowing how many illegals are here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies