Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2019, 07:10 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,645,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpyDerp View Post
Poppycock. Mass shootings took place during Obama's administration, too. These people didn't just become deranged the minute that Trump took office.
No, but they became more racist.

Old 08-04-2019, 07:13 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,864,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Thank you! It's a pleasure to have a rational discussion with someone who is willing to listen.

I guess the insurance companies could but what about the millions of people that have never been hospitalized and have no psychiatric history?

I think that way too much energy is focused on infringing on the rights of those who use firearms for any lawful purpose. That's all done for political retribution only. What better way is there to punish your political enemies than to criminalize their lawful activities and possessions when you have the power to do so?

Especially when one political party has absolute power and control over the entire state and rule it with an iron fist. That was clearly evident when New York State passed its "Safe Act". That act makes it unlawful to possess a magazine that holds over 10 rounds including those that were lawfully owned before the "Safe Act" was passed. It also requires those who own what the state now designates as a so called "assault rifle" to register them with the state.

Those who refuse to comply are subject to felony criminal charges and penalties. These are people that have never broken any laws and with the stroke of a pen they've become instant felons. With regards to magazines that hold more than 10 rounds. Those that do comply are being forced to give up their own personal property in order to avoid arrest and criminal prosecution. All indications are that in an act of civil disobedience very few of New York's lawful gun owners have complied with this law.

Yet those who are in favor of such draconian measures can't understand why so many of us are so vehemently opposed to them? I'd like to see what their reaction would be if a state government criminalized a woman for having an abortion? Felony charges intact.

After the "Safe Act" was passed and signed into law by New York's Governor Cuomo, he boasted that: Those that do not think like him are not welcome in the State of New York. What more proof does one need? Cuomo unapologetically hates Conservatives, the 2nd Amendment and will do everything in his power to destroy them. At the very least force Conservatives out of the state. He is without question a petty little tyrant of the worst order. I just thank God I got out of that God awful state well before that act was passed or even considered.
I live in NY.

Everything posted above is accurate. As a gun owner I've had to navigate the BS NY"un"safe act.

I can't wait to leave.

Old 08-04-2019, 07:23 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,658,864 times
To Ex New Yorker,

The fight to take away guns is not one party trying to neuter another like you imply. Just as many Democrats own assault rifles as Republicans do. We are just as invested in the 2nd Amendment as you are.
I've been an owner of numerous assault rifles for over 40 years. German HKs, AKs, ARs, FNs...…..etc. It's what I do. I shoot regularly and known locally as "Gunner". People come to me to fix their rifles, zero their gun in and teach them how to hit a clay at 150 yards with iron sights, off the shoulder. I can tell you that the ratio of shooters that use our town's open range is about 50/50 split on which side of the political fence they stand on. That's why nobody talks politics when we shoot. God help us all if that civility ceases among the gun owning community. Both sides practice, are well trained and have the best equipment. H

If you've read any of my posts or haven't put me on ignore yet you know I'm a democratic voice, to a great degree.

Old 08-04-2019, 07:32 PM

7,922 posts, read 9,147,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Thank you! It's a pleasure to have a rational discussion with someone who is willing to listen.

I guess the insurance companies could but what about the millions of people that have never been hospitalized and have no psychiatric history?

I think that way too much energy is focused on infringing on the rights of those who use firearms for any lawful purpose. That's all done for political retribution only. What better way is there to punish your political enemies than to criminalize their lawful activities and possessions when you have the power to do so?

Especially when one political party has absolute power and control over the entire state and rule it with an iron fist. That was clearly evident when New York State passed its "Safe Act". That act makes it unlawful to possess a magazine that holds over 10 rounds including those that were lawfully owned before the "Safe Act" was passed. It also requires those who own what the state now designates as a so called "assault rifle" to register them with the state.

Those who refuse to comply are subject to felony criminal charges and penalties. These are people that have never broken any laws and with the stroke of a pen they've become instant felons. With regards to magazines that hold more than 10 rounds. Those that do comply are being forced to give up their own personal property in order to avoid arrest and criminal prosecution. All indications are that in an act of civil disobedience very few of New York's lawful gun owners have complied with this law.

Yet those who are in favor of such draconian measures can't understand why so many of us are so vehemently opposed to them? I'd like to see what their reaction would be if a state government criminalized a woman for having an abortion? Felony charges intact.

After the "Safe Act" was passed and signed into law by New York's Governor Cuomo, he boasted that: Those that do not think like him are not welcome in the State of New York. What more proof does one need? Cuomo unapologetically hates Conservatives, the 2nd Amendment and will do everything in his power to destroy them. At the very least force Conservatives out of the state. He is without question a petty little tyrant of the worst order. I just thank God I got out of that God awful state well before that act was passed or even considered.
I do agree that many of the laws passed NY have had and will have no effect on mass shootings because they are aimed at those who are law abiding and weren't going to do the shooting anyway.

The inability for a politician to understand the consequences and ineffectiveness of their passed legislation boggles my mind. Nobody thinks about the what comes next if this is passed scenario.

Currently the state is contemplating sending State Police to Hempstead on LI due to rising gang problems. Well, MS 13 has been hot and heavy there for years. Declaring NY a sanctuary state just added more prospective gang members to join MS 13. Of course not every El Salvadorean immigrant is going to join that gang, but even if a relatively small percentage do, it will increase the havoc the gang can do.

Sometimes the world feels like 3rd grade again at least partly due to social media. An idea becomes the "cool" thing then people follow it like lemmings, unable or unwilling to independently evaluate the idea and its repercussions, and instead blindly follows someone on Facebook or Twitter.

Old 08-04-2019, 07:35 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,162,125 times
Shooter made the mistake of stopping in El Paso to do is dirty deeds.

He could have gone 30 more miles and crossed into New Mexico and probably not had to look at Death Row unless the Feds prosecute him and actually do start back executions that last 20 more years.

Old 08-04-2019, 07:37 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,234,555 times
Death penalty might be 20 years away.

Old 08-04-2019, 07:38 PM

50,245 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
To Ex New Yorker,

The fight to take away guns is not one party trying to neuter another like you imply. Just as many Democrats own assault rifles as Republicans do. We are just as invested in the 2nd Amendment as you are.
I've been an owner of numerous assault rifles for over 40 years. German HKs, AKs, ARs, FNs...…..etc. It's what I do. I shoot regularly and known locally as "Gunner". People come to me to fix their rifles, zero their gun in and teach them how to hit a clay at 150 yards with iron sights, off the shoulder. I can tell you that the ratio of shooters that use our town's open range is about 50/50 split on which side of the political fence they stand on. That's why nobody talks politics when we shoot. God help us all if that civility ceases among the gun owning community. Both sides practice, are well trained and have the best equipment. H

If you've read any of my posts or haven't put me on ignore yet you know I'm a democratic voice, to a great degree.
You own full auto rifles? I'm jelli.

Old 08-04-2019, 07:38 PM

3,867 posts, read 4,077,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
Death penalty might be 20 years away.
Our lovely judicial system

Old 08-04-2019, 07:46 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,645,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Shooter made the mistake of stopping in El Paso to do is dirty deeds.

He could have gone 30 more miles and crossed into New Mexico and probably not had to look at Death Row unless the Feds prosecute him and actually do start back executions that last 20 more years.
Sounds like you have sympathy for the guy, he needs to look at death row.

Old 08-04-2019, 07:56 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,162,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Sounds like you have sympathy for the guy, he needs to look at death row.
Not at all.

He deserves the Texas drive thru express lane.

Let me guess, the Feds will want to take over and do a change of venue to someplace like San Francisco to get a "Fair" jury.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies