Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2019, 03:38 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Untreated mental illness is definitely a problem in this country. We can't force anyone to take meds. We don't have all of those asylums anymore. Reagan did good things, but this is one of those things that he did that I think was about the dumbest thing he ever did.

Now look at what we have. Mentally ill people all over the place - some get help, a lot do not. Some find out that they have one, but refuse any medication.

So what's the answer?

Banning guns isn't going to stop mental illness, nor will it stop mass killings. You don't need a gun to kill a large number of people.

So, again - instead of blaming the president, congress, guns, etc, when are people going to realize that we have a major mental illness problem in this country.

Did we have this much mental illness in the past? Has anyone looked that up? Was it that they were being medicated and/or in asylums, and that is why we didn't have these mass shootings as often?

People used to carry guns to school - as in high school - in their cars, trucks, on them. It was allowed, no one blinked an eye. And all of those people who carried them didn't shoot up their schools.

In this day, millions of Americans own guns. Some of them carry on them at all times. None of them shoot up a whole bunch of people, or even anyone. Not even those who would have the right to do so in self defense.

So what happened?

We have people who do not value life in any way.

We have people who are mentally ill and not being treated, and we can't force it on them.

And a good chunk of this country doesn't want to address the elephant in the room. It's not the damn gun, it's not the president, it's not Congress, it's not "everyone else", it's the mental illness - that includes individuals, and it includes gang members. They have serious mental issues.
States began closing asylums in the 50’s when conditions became political embarrassments and state funding
dried up. The Reagan Admin’s role was cutting Federal Funding to states.

It’s cheaper to warehouse those who are violent in prison.

Most seriously mentally ill people don't view themselves as ill and don’t seek mental health services.

Old 08-03-2019, 03:39 PM

28,677 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I attended a rock concert at a downtown venue a week ago and made a mental note of where the exits were in case of a terrorist attack while waiting for the group to perform. That scenario had never entered my mind before last week.

What scary times we live in....
I do that all the time everywhere. Started back in the late 70s, when we were also in a terrorism scare.

Yes, I'm the guy at the red light who is stopped 50 feet behind the car in front of him.

Old 08-03-2019, 03:40 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,273,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Texas doesn't have registration by party....
True - but there are records for Party IF you vote in a Primary OR donate money to a Political Party - which does become part of your public record.

Old 08-03-2019, 03:41 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I do that all the time everywhere. Started back in the late 70s, when we were also in a terrorism scare.

Yes, I'm the guy at the red light who is stopped 50 feet behind the car in front of him.
I'm not 50, probably 30, but I'm always taking note of what's where. Situational awareness.

Old 08-03-2019, 03:41 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,231,047 times
Just another day in America.

Thoughts and prayers...they sure do a lot of good.

Old 08-03-2019, 03:42 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,510,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Lol. Our dad taught us when we learned to drive that when stopping at a light to “always be able to see the full tires of the car in front of you” so you’d have enough space to make an evasive move.

16,376 posts, read 22,494,081 times
I am not familiar with the below web site. Googled for "Crusius" and "El Paso" and got this. Maybe it's fake or early unvetted info. Not sure.

https://newsone.com/3883517/el-paso-...trick-crusius/

El Paso Shooter Identified Online As Trump Supporter Who Didn’t Like ‘Race Mixing’.

Patrick Crusius allegedly left behind a racist manifesto before the deadly shooting rampage at a mall

2,083 posts, read 1,088,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Really? There are thousands and thousands of impressionable people out there who can be motivated to action by nothing more than spoken words or, in our modern times, internet sites.
Most 21 year olds are impressionable but yet the majority of them do not do anything like this even though they too are on websites etc. So that’s what I meant. What flipped his switch, must be something or anyone who’s 21 is going to be a mass murderer.

9,576 posts, read 7,338,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
I do not understand what goes on in these people's heads. They do this and then what comes next is life in prison, or perhaps the death penalty. It makes no sense at all. None.
His manifesto is posted online now where he outlined his motives, political views, biography, and gear; you can read for yourself and try to play armchair psychologist/psychiatrist.

Old 08-03-2019, 03:43 PM

472 posts, read 432,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Trump is the president, not your babysitter.
Agreed. Now remember this when you try to blame President Obama or any other Democratic President.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies