Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2019, 04:30 PM

35,704 posts, read 21,063,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
I’m glad this turd was caught alive. I wish they’d use him as a guinea pig and experiment on his brain. We need to know what makes creepers like this tick.
I’m sickened by it. I know people from El Paso area. Turn this guy over to the victims families And close the door. I do not find justice for these crimes adequately handled. Sorry- I’m just sick of it.

Old 08-03-2019, 04:31 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,798,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
It IS a current event. The idiot moderator of that forum just deleted the thread that had been posted there. I live in El Paso and shop at that Walmart. I was just there yesterday. And as I said on that now deleted thread, I can't express how angry I'm feeling right now.
Glad you're safe Mike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Untreated mental illness is definitely a problem in this country. We can't force anyone to take meds. We don't have all of those asylums anymore. Reagan did good things, but this is one of those things that he did that I think was about the dumbest thing he ever did.

Now look at what we have. Mentally ill people all over the place - some get help, a lot do not. Some find out that they have one, but refuse any medication.

So what's the answer?

Banning guns isn't going to stop mental illness, nor will it stop mass killings. You don't need a gun to kill a large number of people.

So, again - instead of blaming the president, congress, guns, etc, when are people going to realize that we have a major mental illness problem in this country.

Did we have this much mental illness in the past? Has anyone looked that up? Was it that they were being medicated and/or in asylums, and that is why we didn't have these mass shootings as often?

People used to carry guns to school - as in high school - in their cars, trucks, on them. It was allowed, no one blinked an eye. And all of those people who carried them didn't shoot up their schools.

In this day, millions of Americans own guns. Some of them carry on them at all times. None of them shoot up a whole bunch of people, or even anyone. Not even those who would have the right to do so in self defense.

So what happened?

We have people who do not value life in any way.

We have people who are mentally ill and not being treated, and we can't force it on them.

And a good chunk of this country doesn't want to address the elephant in the room. It's not the damn gun, it's not the president, it's not Congress, it's not "everyone else", it's the mental illness - that includes individuals, and it includes gang members. They have serious mental issues.
Something that I've thought about is this. The way we are raising kids over the last 20 years vs 40+ years ago is different. Many are given participation awards to make them feel good. Many are shielded from having to deal with real life problems by their parents. Many are being coddled to the point they can't even function in the real world. There are also some who cry mental illness for people to feel bad for them (yes I personally know someone like this ). They don't know how to deal with disappointments, when things are not handed to them...you name it, I could keep going.

I think a big portion of what we are seeing today is the direct result of parenting or lack of parenting.
Could be wrong though.

11,027 posts, read 6,508,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
White = mental illness
Muslim = terrorist

Every report suggests that this guy is a while nationalist TERRORIST. He was likely inspired by all the hate sites on the internet and the intemperate words of our so-called president.
Call him what you want. It’s a distinction without a difference as far as I’m concerned.

10,098 posts, read 4,090,187 times
If there is any silver-lining, he did this in the Capital Punishment capital of the world.

So...he's going to fry.

33,243 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
CNBC is reporting at least 19 dead.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/03/poli...e-shooter.html
I live in El Paso. I'm listening to the local news. At this point only one person has been confirmed dead. There are a reported 24 shooting victims in two hospitals. University Medical Center took 13 of the victims. Vista Del Sol took 11 of them. Of those 11, 9 are in critical but stable condition and 2 are in stable condition.

Old 08-03-2019, 04:33 PM

33,243 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
Glad you're safe Mike.
Thank you.

Old 08-03-2019, 04:35 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,508,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I’m sickened by it. I know people from El Paso area. Turn this guy over to the victims families And close the door. I do not find justice for these crimes adequately handled. Sorry- I’m just sick of it.
I have so many friends here in Austin today, buying their kids school clothes and supplies. They were just doing the same thing in El Paso today. Really maddening that someone targeted a public place full of kids.

Old 08-03-2019, 04:36 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post

What do you do if the families decide to leave punishment to their God and release him?

Old 08-03-2019, 04:37 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SterkIjon View Post
After reading 49 posts and the OP's response, it is quite evident the OP has an ax to grind and an agenda to promote.
Damn right I do! I am fed up with the repeated slaughter of our citizens in public places and our government doing nothing! How many more need to be shot and killed before you wake up?

Old 08-03-2019, 04:39 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Wait until the Democrat presidential candidates find their way to a tv camera and a microphone. Then you will be taught what promoting an agenda really looks like.
If a working toward a solution or increasing safety for our citizens is an agenda in your mind, I'm in support of that kind of agenda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies